R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDual 6V battery charging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual 6V battery charging
    Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 4:51pm
I have a 12V battery charger/conditioner. The 171 I am about to get is going to have a dual 6V battery system. Can I safely use the charger to charge both batteries together in series? Will I need any additional accessories to do this or will the existing battery cables suffice?
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by thegrandpoohbah

I have a 12V battery charger/conditioner. The 171 I am about to get is going to have a dual 6V battery system. Can I safely use the charger to charge both batteries together in series? Will I need any additional accessories to do this or will the existing battery cables suffice?

Is the dual 6 volt battery system a factory installed model? I wasn't aware that Forest River did this. Some battery systems have a 6 volt and 12 volt mode.

You'd better ask your dealer how to connect it. When people are using 6 volt (golf cart) batteries, they nearly always link them in series to effectively create one big 12 volt battery. You then just connect the positive charging cable to the positive terminal of one battery and the negative charging cable to the negative terminal of the other battery. I strongly urge you to review a wiring diagram if you don't understand this perfectly.

But if it's a true 6 volt charging system, then you will probably have separate charging cables for both batteries. It makes absolutely no sense to me why anyone would want that, however, since virtually all RV equipment runs off of 12 volt DC current (except for the AC and microwave, often the TV).
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
thegrandpoohbah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 8:46pm
It is two 6V batteries wired in series to produce 12V. The dealer is installing it for me on a used 171 I am picking up Saturday. We typically boondock so I figured more Amp-hours is a good thing.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by thegrandpoohbah

It is two 6V batteries wired in series to produce 12V. The dealer is installing it for me on a used 171 I am picking up Saturday. We typically boondock so I figured more Amp-hours is a good thing.

Just treat the two golfers as one 12V battery, just bigger. On board charger will work just fine. The only differences are they will take longer to charge and they will last longer on discharge.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply