This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping in Canada ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping in Canada ??
    Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:03pm
Need some advice from our Canadian friends or others who are in the know. I'm thinking of a short trip through eastern Canada, probably starting at Niagara Falls, NY, via Toronto to Sudbury and Sault St. Marie, and back down through Michigan. I'll be towing a camper; no firearms or alcohol. Other than US passports and US insurance cards what will I need? Is a Canadian insurance card required?

Any recommendations on campsites? I've heard Canadian Provincial parks are awesome. Where to stay, what to see?

Thanks from the lower 48, 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jeeperic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 1:09pm
The border crossing at Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge goes pretty smooth, although it has been a quite a few years since I went through. Sounds like you're all set with passports, and probably a second set of photo ID. As for alcohol, Canadian beer is better anyways (uh-oh, can open, worms EVERYWHERE..!)..
This time of the year, the leaves around Sault St. Marie will be fantastic. If there's still room available, you will be doing yourself a favour by booking a seat on the Agawa Canyon train. I don't know how to put a link on this page, but Google it..it's worth the day spent!
That button at the top of the remote?
That's the power button..press it.
Turn it all off.
Go outside!

'14 RPod 171
'09 Jeep Wrangler JK (mine)
'14 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (hers)
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 2:22pm
Passports aren't actually required to enter Canada - a US drivers licence/birth certificate will do.  You will, however, likely need a passport to re-enter the US.

You definitely need to be covered for automobile insurance, although I doubt anyone would actually ask to see it (unless you're in an accident or pulled over for a traffic violation).  For the most part, Canadian auto insurance covers travel in the US and we don't need any special documentation/notification to the insurance company when we cross the border - I don't know if the reverse is true, so it might be a good idea to call your insurance company and ask.

A little booze is fine - a 26er of liquor or a 24 of beer per person; a carton of cigarettes is ok as well.  Fruits and vegetables are mostly banned as well as some non-US meats.  Its about a 10% chance that they even ask, but you may have to throw out your bananas and potatoes at the border.  Bread and condiments and all that type of stuff is fine - so you may want to just bring that and plan on a quick trip to the grocery store on this side of the border.

Our gas is expensive - brace yourself to pay 20-25% more.  But, we don't have nearly as much ethanol in our gas, so you'll get slightly better mileage.

If you're bringing pets - make sure you've got dated papers on letterhead from your vet (tags are not good enough) showing up-to-date rabies shots - papers should clearly identify the animal by breed and colouring.  And, pit bulls (including crosses and dogs that just happen to strongly resemble pit bulls) are outright banned.  As a non-resident, don't even try to argue 'cause you'll be turned back.

The trip between Niagara Falls and Barrie is mostly 4-8 lane highway.  There aren't a lot of picturesque camping stops.  I'm not sure what your intentions are for this part of the trip - do you plan on making your way into Toronto?  There are a couple of handy parks on commuter train routes which would be your best bet.

Oh - do head to Niagara on the Lake on your way toward Toronto (its not far off course).  Walk around downtown and visit the dozens (and dozens) of shops.  This is a great way to score points with your wife.

Everyone will suggest Algonquin Provincial Park - and I strongly agree for at least a 3 night stay.  If you're just driving through, stay at Arrowhead Provincial Park which is gorgeous and not nearly as far out of the way.  Grundy Lake and Killbear are also favourites along your route.  Between Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie, Chutes Provincial Park is a nice little park for a night.  If you're an Arrogant Worms fan, you might want to stay at Gordon's Park on Manitoulin Island (its barely 30 minutes south of your route) - just to see the Mounted Animal Nature Trail; if you're not, then the lack of nostalgia is definitely not worth the trip.

If you want to go just north (2 hours) of Sault Ste Marie, Lake Superior Provincial Park is well worth a stay as well.  Its a gorgeous park with much to see.

Finally: much like our gasoline, our provincial park rates are high - so brace yourself for $40-49/night.  Also, you'll need 75' of electrical cord and will almost always have to level the trailer.  No provincial parks have on-site sewer or water, so visit the sanitary station to fill up with fresh water on your way into your site and dump on your way out.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 10:59pm
Craig,

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply. Lots of good info there.
I checked out the on-liine reservation system. It is excellent and very similar to our ReserveAmerica system. Either we copied them or the other way around.

Arrowhead, Grundy Lake, Killbear, and Chutes look interesting. Algonquin is a bit off the path and I don't carry a canoe Wink. From your post I gather dump facilities are at the  sanitary stations, but what about water? Are there faucets I can connect a hose to for filling my on-board tank, or is it the bucket brigade? No problem with the electrical line; I have 90 feet of 30 Amp extension cord. Are 30 Amp connections available? Lastly, what are radio free areas?

Charlie
Northern Colorado
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 6:54am
Usually you have dump and water fill at same location, but might have to drive ahead 50ft or so to get potable water. As far as canoeing, Algonquin Park has fantastic hiking trails and the view from some of them at that time of year will be breath taking. Yes all prov. parks are 30amp some of the private ones only have 15amp so you might want to take along a 15/30 amp adapter. Also look into highway 28 north from Peterbrough Silent Lake prov. park... Along the way... in Applsy look for "Wandering Swish Bear" bakery and restaurant.. world's best pecan pie ...    Fall colours will be great..
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 7:26am
Ron,

Thanks for the help. I usually carry 50' of white hose, but might toss in an extra 50' for good measure. I also carry 30/15 and 50/30 adapters for power. As for hiking, unfortunately I'm a candidate for two knee replacements. No hiking for me, but wait 'till next year! And lookin' for that pecan pie Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 8:28am
I crossed at the Rainbow Bridge two years ago. It was busy. Took us at least a hour to get across. This was middle of August. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Puck Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 8:44am
Remember to add 'eh' to the end of every sentence when in Ontario. Also with it being the fall Ontarians will be talking about how this season will be the year the Maple Leafs finally end the 1967 drought and win the cup! Please humour us and just agree eh. It is a condition we suffer through annually but it passes by December when reality hits again. You are always welcome to say critical things about the Montreal Canadians when in Ontario eh. Wink  These valuable hints will quarantee a fun trip through our beautiful province eh. Rick
Rick & Wilma
'Hairy' Gracie
2015 178
GMC Sierra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Seanl

I crossed at the Rainbow Bridge two years ago. It was busy. Took us at least a hour to get across. This was middle of August. 

I first read that as "I crossed the Rainbow Bridge two years ago.".  I was happy to see there is an Internet connection from the hereafter!  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by ron_whitt

Usually you have dump and water fill at same location, but might have to drive ahead 50ft or so to get potable water.

That is the right way to do it- separate dump and fill. Smile
 2 reasons-
 first> it keeps some dummy from sticking the fill hose in his black outlet to rinse- thereby contaminating the hoseDead

second> it lets people fill without holding up the people waiting to dump.

We were at Two Medicine campground in Glacier NP a few weeks ago, they had the potable water fill only about 20 ft from the dump port- which accomplished number 1 above but didn't allow for a fill without blocking the dump for the next guy. 
To add to that the water out of the potable fill was about 2 gallons a minute so filling  30+ gallon tank was a very slow process..Wink
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>