R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd Battery Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Battery Install
    Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Pat & Bill whitaker

will, does the battery minder work for ytwo 6 volt batteries in series.  we are about to change over.

Yes, it will charge two 6 volt batteries connected in series. When you have two 6 volt batteries linked this way, the end product is one 12 volt battery with really big cells, giving you significantly higher amperage (capacity) than one or even two 12 volt batteries linked in parallel.

I can't say enough good things about the Battery Minder #1500. Its strong enough to maintain up to 4 batteries connected in parallel, so having two 6 volt batteries will be fine. Just remember that this is a maintainer and not a charger. You need to first charge the batteries close to 100% using either the Pod's built-in charger or an external battery charger. After that, disconnect the charger, connect the Battery Minder, and it does the rest.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:08pm
WillThrill, you mentioned this earlier:  "If you're at home, you should leave the batteries connected to a smart charger all the time."  (Which is what I do with my boat battery)

My question:  If the batts are connected to the smart charger all the time, when would you use the battery minder?  Sorry .. Guess I'm missing something. Embarrassed
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Luv2Q

WillThrill, you mentioned this earlier:  "<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">If you're at home, you should leave the batteries connected to a smart charger all the time."  (Which is what I do with my boat battery)</span>
<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;"></span>
<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">My question:  If the batts are connected to the smart charger all the time, when would you use the battery minder?  Sorry .. Guess I'm missing something. Embarrassed</span>

Great question! I apologize for not clarifying myself.

First of all, most people don't take very good care of their batteries. Consequently, most deep cycle batteries are dead with no hope in less than three years according to industry experts. A true deep cycle battery (most marine batteries are 'dual purpose', meant for starting engines as well as moderate cycling) can be taken from 100% to 50% and recharged for 200-300 times, and from 100% to 70% for around 500 times. If you go from 100% down to 0% and back, you only have around 100 cycles before your batteries are dead forever. With good care, deep cycle batteries can last 10 years, maybe even more.

But getting that kind of lifespan requires that you treat your batteries as good as your spouse (maybe better!). Standard 'smart' chargers, like the one built into the Pod, are great for bringing a battery from a discharged to a charged state (i.e. 50% to ~95-100%). But most of them have a significant flaw: they aren't temperature sensitive. When batteries are cold, they need a higher voltage for the float (maintain) charge than when the batteries are warm. So if your batteries are colder than the temperature and resulting needed voltage to perfectly maintain your batteries, they will experience some sulfation. If the batteries are warmer, they will lose water too fast and might even boil.

Now these problems may not reveal themselves immediately, but after two or three years, you'll probably notice that your batteries aren't maintaining the same charge that they used to. And if you have the batteries tested, the technician will probably (rightly) tell you that the batteries need to be replaced.

The best battery maintainer I've seen for the money is the Battery Tender #1500, which sells for around $50. It is temperature sensitive and has other great features.

But while maintainers do a fantastic job of maintaining batteries, they are poor at charging batteries effectively. The time it would take to bring a 100 amp hour battery from 60% to 80% with a 15 amp charger would be about 1 hour and 40 minutes, but it would take the Battery Minder about 17 hours to do the same thing (this is taking the 20% charging inefficiency into account). When you're out camping, this is obviously sub-optimal.

So after the Pod's charger (or any external charger) brings your batteries up to 100% or close, switching them over to a good battery maintainer will prolong their lifespan substantially.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 1:29pm
If you go from 100% to zero SOC just a few times it will be dead.  I also wouldn't worry about using the pod's converter 24/7.  While temperature compensation is helpful, the actual voltage adjustment is fairly small and the life extension isn't much.  A big deal for a $2000 battery bank in a home solar system, but not so much for an $80 battery.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 2:47pm
[/QUOTE]
The best battery maintainer I've seen for the money is the Battery Tender #1500, which sells for around $50. It is temperature sensitive and has other great features.
[/QUOTE]

Will, great explanation, but I believe you meant the Battery Minder, not the battery Tender in the partial quote above.  I, too, have been using a Battery Minder for many years for my marine batteries and seasonal lawn equipment.  Several times I have brought my batteries and those of friends back to life after they had seemingly died due to sulfation.  Its additional features make it a better investment than the typical battery maintainer.  Still, I have 2 "regular" battery chargers that I use to charge my marine batteries after a night of shrimping or a day of using the trolling motor.  The Battery Minder would not charge them in time for their next use.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
jeeperic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:42pm

Sorry to chime in, but does this look right, then?
And somebody PLEASE, once and for all explain to me the difference between:
-minders
-tenders
-smart chargers
-trickle chargers
That button at the top of the remote?
That's the power button..press it.
Turn it all off.
Go outside!

'14 RPod 171
'09 Jeep Wrangler JK (mine)
'14 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (hers)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by jeeperic

Sorry to chime in, but does this look right, then?
And somebody PLEASE, once and for all explain to me the difference between:
-minders
-tenders
-smart chargers
-trickle chargers

Yes, the diagram is for a parallel connection with two 12 volt batteries.

Okay, the Battery Minders and Battery Tenders are two brands of battery maintainers (say that five times fast). Both of these brands are great for maintaining batteries that are already charged or nearly so for long periods of time.

A 'smart' charger (a.k.a. microprocessor or computer controlled with variable amperage rates listed such as 15/10/2), is using for recharging a discharged battery say from a 50% state-of-charge to 100% SOC.

A trickle charger is a very small battery maintainer that you should NEVER buy. The reason why is posted above. The short answer is because they will almost certainly either give your battery a bit too much or too little charge, both of which are bad. You need an 'intelligent' maintainer that will adjust itself to the state of your battery.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

Will, great explanation, but I believe you meant the Battery Minder, not the battery Tender in the partial quote above.  I, too, have been using a Battery Minder for many years for my marine batteries and seasonal lawn equipment.  Several times I have brought my batteries and those of friends back to life after they had seemingly died due to sulfation.  Its additional features make it a better investment than the typical battery maintainer.  Still, I have 2 "regular" battery chargers that I use to charge my marine batteries after a night of shrimping or a day of using the trolling motor.  The Battery Minder would not charge them in time for their next use.

Thanks for clarifying that Sleepless. I had not noticed the discrepancy.

I'm glad to hear that you have had success in reviving seemingly dead batteries with the Battery Minder. One of its features I didn't mention is that it periodically uses a pulsing charge, which helps to remove sulfate crystals that may have accumulated on the battery plates.

And I'm not sure that I agree with Doug on the value of temperature adjustments over a long period of time. If you're storing your batteries in a climate controlled (i.e. 70 degrees) environment, then ambient temperature adjustments are probably a moot point. But most people are storing their batteries in garages, sheds, barns, etc., so temperature swings are more the rule than the exception.

And it doesn't take much of a voltage difference from ideal to have a significant impact on battery life. For instance, if you have batteries connected in parallel, connecting both the positive and negative terminals of a single battery to your charger, rather than connecting positive to one battery and negative to the other (see the diagram above to see how it should be done), can create enough of a voltage difference over time to significantly shorten the lifespan of the battery you're connected to.

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
jeeperic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:50am
Thanks for the info.
After I tuck the Pod in for the season, I'll pull the battery off and bring it in the basement, plug in a battery maintainer, then in the spring I'll add a second 12v for the boondock sites.
That button at the top of the remote?
That's the power button..press it.
Turn it all off.
Go outside!

'14 RPod 171
'09 Jeep Wrangler JK (mine)
'14 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (hers)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by jeeperic

Thanks for the info.
After I tuck the Pod in for the season, I'll pull the battery off and bring it in the basement, plug in a battery maintainer, then in the spring I'll add a second 12v for the boondock sites.

Honestly, you want to buy that battery now, if there is any chance of getting one from the same source as the one on your pod now, that is your best chance of having them matched.. a very important thing when running dual batteries.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>