R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlexible Solar Panels .. any recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexible Solar Panels .. any recommendations?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:28pm
Hello There,

We would like to get flexible solar panels to mount / glue on our r-pod 182G ceiling. Did anyone here do this yet? I'm wondering what would be the best method to attach the cable which would run from solar to plug in.
What do I need to know when buying solar panels? The only thing I know so far is that solar trickle charger is NOT GOOD!
How large would those panels need to be in order to recharge the two batteries? In case the electricity cable of the r-pod (what's the correct name for that cable?) would it also charge the TV's batteries?

Any recommendations on flexible solar panels?

My thinking behind this whole idea is that if the panels are on there all the time, battery could be charged constantly. But I have the feeling that constant charge is not good. Should the solar panel only be connected sporadically to recharge a lot?

So many questions Smile
Thanks for reading.
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:17pm
I'm not so sure I would want to mount the panels to the roof of my POD,flexible or not,but that's just me.

I like to park and look for the shadiest campsite I can find,then find a nice sunny spot out of the way to place the panels.

But here is a excellent website that has great products and customer service.Probably would have all you would ever need and then some.

https://www.renogy-store.com/default.asp
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
Inge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:20pm
That is a good point. I thought, I'd charge the batteries as well when I'm driving but I didn't think about parking in the shade. They should be charging while driving through the TV anyways. 

RV-newbee :-) 

Thanks for the link!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 8:16am
Inge,

If you plan to do much driving, instead of comfortably camped under a tree, your money might better be spent having the charge cable in your TV upgraded. Then you could get a much better charge to the battery on the road.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Inge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 1:49pm
CharlieM: Do you think, if I ask my regular car repair guy, who seems to be very knowledgeable, should understand what to do when I tell him 'upgrade the charge cable'? Are there different options that I should know before I talk to him?
Any idea how much that could cost? Is it a complicated task to do? 

Thanks for this great suggestion!
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 3:37pm
Inge, it's not complicated to do at all. Any good mechanic should be able to do it in less than an hour.

The only real option is how big of a cable you want. Standard cable you can get from a home improvement store will work just fine. My local Lowe's sells 6 gauge 3 strand wire (2 is all you really need) for $1.06 per foot, and 25-30 feet should be more than enough.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:43pm
The task is not complicated or difficult. I would shoot for #6 wire, but it's a bit hard to work with in tight quarters. A perfectly acceptable alternative is three #10 wires in parallel. Connect these between pin 4, called battery charge on the 7 pin connector, and the fuse or relay under the hood. The factory usually uses a #10 or #12 yellow wire for this, but that's not certain. Just tell your mechanic you want to beef up the trailer battery charging circuit in the TV. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Inge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:58am
Will do the charger cable upgrade asap! Good advice! 

GingerPod's comment makes much sense to me and I'm looking now for panels that are not mounted to the pod.

I'm wondering, do I need to buy Zamp solar panels because there is something preinstalled on the r-pod (zamp solar prewire kit) or can I go with something else like the Renogy 100W panel, which is half the price.

"Bommel" - r-pod 182 G
" Franzi"   - Toyota Tundra 2007

http://blog.picturingtheamericas.com
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:38am
Not necessary to buy Zamp, other brands will work.  Way overpriced in my opinion.  Those Renogy panels seem like the best bang for your buck out there currently
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:50am
I don't presently have a solar ready RPod so someone who has should jump in and confirm or correct me if necessary. My understanding is the only thing on the "solar ready" Pod is the wiring and the connector, both of which are industry standard. The connectors are standard MC4 compatible. Any combination of compatible panel(s)/controller should be fine. The Renology panels are getting good reviews, but the Renology controller seems inadequate.
Check the thread http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5017&KW=zamp&PID=48716&title=connecting-a-100-watt-solar-panel-to-zamp-port#48716 to get some ideas from other Podders  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>