R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen Is It Time To Dump a Trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: When Is It Time To Dump a Trailer?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:11pm
We have a 2005 hybrid trailer (purchased used when it was less than a year old) that we think is beyond the point of no return.

We've always had leak issues which led to the replacement of the tend end door and canopy. 

Getting ready for a recent trip we noted rust stains in one of the overhead lights, but until this we've never had problems with water intrusion into the actual living space.

On the way home from the trip the lower front corner of the trailer separated from the body. We noted there was rot in the framing wood in that spot. We have always had problems with the seals on the front corners requiring constant, annual re-caulking.

We also have a soft floor by the entry door that evidenced itself late last summer (but has not gotten worse).

I just received a quote of $1300 to repair the floor by the entry door, reseal the roof and "patch" the front corner. That doesn't, of course, address any hidden damage in the roof or elsewhere from the elusive leaks. It also means I have to take it somewhere that does RV body repair to have the front end addressed.

My instinct is to have us cut our losses and get rid of the trailer. We had gotten a trade in value of $4000 (we disclosed the soft floor since we knew about it along with a couple other minor issues).

Thoughts? And if the best bet is to get rid of it (I assume no dealer will take it now), how do we dispose of it? 

Is there any value in trying to sell off components (everything works - micro, fridge, A/C oven/stove, bathroom fan.

Thanks for the thoughts...
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:27pm
Trade it in, the dealer will probably give you something for it,there is most always value in the trailers.
   Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 1:54pm
I agree with Craneman, find the next RV you want and trade it in towards it. The dealer has a lot of room to play in the price so you will get something for it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 2:03pm
if I was going to trade it in, I would first get the bottom line price on the RV.  then I would negotiate the trade-in price.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply