R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInitial Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Quality
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:45pm
What types of initial quality problems have others had with their R-Pods? I've got a short list of issues that came with our purchase of the R-Pod last week and wonder if these are just "normal" delivery issues or considered status quo?
     - Right rear "sealed" tail light has water in it
     - Vertical window seal out of track on one window
     - Plastic liner on bottom panel was not tucked in behind diamond-plate and wind separated a portion of it
     - (2) 14 AWG wires hanging loose underneath the slide out (inside trailer). Not sure what this is supposed to be connected to, can't see under there to see any obvious place it was connected to.
     - Drain hose from fresh water "t" valve behind sink hanging loose under slide out (inside trailer - is the a hole for it to drain outside?)
     - Caulk on upper edge of spoiler has gaps between trailer roof and spoiler
     - Also (and this isn't the result of Forest River's build procedures or quality checks) The right rear scissor jack had been removed to service another unit at the dealer and was not replaced before we picked up the trailer. This and the wet taillight will be resolved when the dealer has a taillight and scissor jack drop-shipped to my address for me to replace.
'13 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'14 RPod 177 (Uncle Ed)

2 big labs and one large mutt (our 4-legged crew, hence the crew cab)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:38pm
Unfortunately delivered quality of any RV is lacking. Your list is not that bad. That said I'll comment on a few:

1. Sealed tail lights will eventually leak and corrode the innards. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the lens to let the water drain out.
  2. Those 14AWG wires could be a personnel or fire hazard. Unplug from shore power, disconnect the battery, and poke around. If nothing is obvious strip some insulation back, reconnect the power sources one at a time, and test with a voltmeter. Reconnect the battery first, test, then 120V, test. They could be disconnected hot wires or just left over wire from Friday afternoon. Either way they need to be fixed.
  3. The "drain hose" is probably the winterization antifreeze intake hose. It is used to suck antifreeze into the pump during winterization and normally just dangles near the pump. Search this form for Winterization".
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:53pm
My list of issues I've found exceeds the daily post limit of 1000 words....
Just kidding but there have been a lot of issues in my 2014 179.
That said every RV I've ever had came with issues...sadly it is the nature of the business.
Contrast that to a number of vehicles I've bought that were essentially perfect-  isn't going to happen in the RV world.

As for the jack-  they were screwed on and welded on my 179.  Do you have the means to do that?
Personally I ditched the scissor jacks first thing anyway- they hang down way too low to suit me.  I replaced the scissors with a BAL jack setup that hangs down far less and is about 2 ft behind the rear wheels (so they don't get torn off in a steep driveway) and don't even with bother with any on the front.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 3:41pm
That sounds bad! We had two minor issues shown to us by the tech during our walk thru . He also  told us that the two replacement parts had already been ordered. We have had great luck with Mekkelsen's RV on both our pod purchases.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:30pm
I think you hear a lot more about problems than not on the interwebs. Not diminishing your issues at all, but like Leo, we have had no reason to seek any warranty claim...yet. I did notice the anchor light (that's what I call the light in front by the hitch) needed a little caulk. Other than that, I honestly can't think of a single manufacturing/build issue/surprise. Perhaps we just haven't used it enough, but we do have about 10K miles on it since last September. Maybe we're just lucky.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Old Hippy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:58pm
Maybe Fred but then so am I I've had my 179 for a couple of months now taken 3 or 4 trips mostly short ones , but have found no problems at all ....so far !!The only problem is that my tires seem to lose pressure after sitting for a wk or so .
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Old Hippy

Maybe Fred but then so am I I've had my 179 for a couple of months now taken 3 or 4 trips mostly short ones , but have found no problems at all ....so far !!The only problem is that my tires seem to lose pressure after sitting for a wk or so .

Grateful Dead Fan, erhhh, I mean Old Hippy,

The tire thing is interesting. That's one thing I was really surprised (pleasantly) over the last 8500 miles or so. Started @ 50 psi and ended @ 50 psi. I really expected to put some air in them, but haven't needed to.

OK you Old Farts Timers, how many miles/months can one expect out of the factory tires?

Fred
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:44pm
I know 90% of the issues I've found would never be noticed by the average owner- at first.
Depending on how long and how one uses and stores an RV will tell the tale in a few years though as things rot out due to improper sealing etc...

If any of you watch the Mike Holmes shows where he finds all sorts of issues in supposedly perfect houses- sort of like that.   Most owners haven't a clue.

It wouldn't be so bad but an equivalent square footage camper as the rpod can be had for about 30% LESS, so one would expect better quality.

Besides as a retired engineer who spent 27+ years LOOKING for problems...I've gotten very good at it.Tongue
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:52pm
Wouldn't that be true with any RV, Boat, home or lawn tractor?

I have lived on and cruised many tens of thousand of miles on the open sea and had gutted and rebuilt my current house. I consider myself pretty good a spotting issues or potential issues. What do you consider an "average owner" and what do you think are common things specific to RV's that are overlooked?

Thanks!

Fred
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:04pm
   I have worked the past 6 months with warranty problems and mods, fixing things the way I would like them. Today I think I am finished the last thing I had to do was seal the roof where needed and that was done today. We are ready to go camping being hurricane season I wanted to make sure camper was ready in case we would need to evacuate, if there did happen to be a major hurricane coming in our direction.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>