R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInitial Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Quality
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:12pm
Hi D&D,

Do you mind sharing what is it you fixed (besides mods)?

BTW, after 25 years on SOFLA I do not miss hurricane season! Of course, Sandy was no picnic here either.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Budward

I know 90% of the issues I've found would never be noticed by the average owner- at first.Depending on how long and how one uses and stores an RV will tell the tale in a few years though as things rot out due to improper sealing etc...If any of you watch the Mike Holmes shows where he finds all sorts of issues in supposedly perfect houses- sort of like that.   Most owners haven't a clue.It wouldn't be so bad but an equivalent square footage camper as the rpod can be had for about 30% LESS, so one would expect better quality.Besides as a retired engineer who spent 27+ years LOOKING for problems...I've gotten very good at it.Tongue

Hey all, listen to the Bud and Charlie M! Over the past 30 yrs. or so, I've purchased 6 travel trailers. All new or near new. Due to never being at the upper end of the wage scale, kid expenses, tuition, etc., all but one have been lower end rigs. Of 5 different brands, none were built for the long haul, and if I didn't get everything I could taken care of in the first year, then it was a real exercise in maintenance and frustration.

Our Arctic Fox was the best built and most expensive, but you better have a 3/4 ton at least to tow anything that they build. The second most expensive trailer was the biggest nightmare--longest 5 trailer years of my life, so cost sometimes may have little to do with problems.

Our Pod seemed to be the second best built of our rigs, but I did have to make sure that I kept after the maintenance. I seem to be reading about more probs recently with Pod builds. Has the quality gone down as Forest River pumps more of them out, or are a lot of you unlucky enough to get Friday or Monday builds?

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:48pm
I've heard from dealers and owners of older vs newer rpods that- yes quality has gone down.
RV's seem to be 40 years behind cars...if you are old enough you may remember how new cars made many trips back to the dealer for warranty work. 
Not common at all now, at least it hasn't been for me.

I was fortunate to have company cars the last 30+ years so I got to cycle through plenty I personally would have never bought.  Plus I bought plenty on my own to suit my needs. 
To be honest the last 10-15 years most were pretty well made.

The RV manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do.  Probably won't happen though as almost no RVs are imported from countries where workmanship is held to a high standard.
In case anyone doesn't remember it was the imports that got the the US makers off their butts to do better..IMO.

I too have had other RV's that were even worse than the r-pod.  My gripe is most of the defects I found would have cost nothing to do right in the first place.

As for FR caring-  I'm now 9 weeks into waiting for a replacement countertop they promised 2 weeks on.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 7:23pm
I'm really sorry, but I don't understand the point? So no one should buy an RV because they aren't built like they used to be?

Makes no sense to me bash a product or industry because of it's shortcomings and then continue to purchase from same. Why would you buy a new product when you knew it was inferior to an older product?

What is the point?

I got into this for the fun factor. And I am having fun! I apologize if that isn't what I am supposed to be doing.

Fred
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:15pm
   Fred there were few warranty problems axle was the most major but the outcome was good. There was insulation needed for refrigerator and black tank flush needed repaired and last antenna would not turn. That was very little I think nothing big that could not be fixed. Now the mods, that was a big job that took a while and did them as I had time. The biggest of the mods was to replace front dinette seats and table and kitchen counter top. In doing these mods I added storage, new sink and faucet, and relocated the battery compartment. In bathroom removed a sliding door replaced with a curtain, rebuilt a step which is also used for storage. Added vent fan above dinning table, added LED lights and other little things sealant around shower added towel hooks. Outside I added aluminum extensions to the fenders did the same on our r-pod which worked out well. And replaced exterior shower for one that is better quality and air tight one that would not allow insects to inter camper. Took care of rust on the frame replaced sewer hose storage tube for one that would fir our sewer hose. And today cleaned the sealant on the roof and covered with that sticky tape ( I forgot the name ) so now we are ready to go camping again. Big smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by fwunder

I'm really sorry, but I don't understand the point? So no one should buy an RV because they aren't built like they used to be?

Makes no sense to me bash a product or industry because of it's shortcomings and then continue to purchase from same. Why would you buy a new product when you knew it was inferior to an older product?

What is the point?

I got into this for the fun factor. And I am having fun! I apologize if that isn't what I am supposed to be doing.

Fred

Who said no one should buy an RV because they aren't built like they used to be?   Wasn't me.
They have never been built well, with very few exceptions,  and there is no sign of improvement IMO.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

Fred there were few warranty problems axle was the most major but the outcome was good....

Wow! You guys have been busy! Time to go camping! Sanibel/Captiva - we'll be there in February. Can't wait!

fred
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:26pm
I hate to say it.. but you hear the same thing over on airforums quite often. I WOULD be bent if I spent +$40k on a pod sized trailer and had a cabinet fall off the wall etc... It happens.

So far going on our 4th season, the only real issue I found was after a couple years my rear window seemed to be leaking a bit. Took 10 minutes to remove the old caulk, clean up, re caulk. I can live with that.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:28pm
   My thoughts as far as quality it needs to catch up to technology. I think technology has improved with the use of fiberglass sides and roof, and aluminum framing with vacuum bonded wall, floor and roof construction. Better plumbing and other things that have improved. Quality as far as putting everything together I think that needs to improve and I don't think that there are to many camper owners that would disagree. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:38pm
Wish the RV makers would learn how to eliminate all the sawdust they leave behind. It's STILL rains sawdust on the bed from the overhead console after 2 years. I vacuum , and it's on the bed again after every trip. I even find it inside the light fixtures.

No it's NOT termites...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>