R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstruggling water pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: struggling water pump
    Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:16pm
I just filled my RPod 177 with about ten gallons of water before I set out on a trip on Tuesday.  When I turned on the pump, it seemed to sound louder and pumped longer than I remember.  The water flow out of the taps also are about half of what I normally get.  Any of you folks have a diagnosis and a cure for this problem?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:35pm
Make sure the little bowl filter on the pump inlet is clean.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:37pm
Just taking a stab at this...

Loud pumps usually aren't the pump, but rather a hose or two banging up against something as the pump pulses. This happened to me recently with a hose hitting the furnace cover. It was very loud and and easy fix.

Low flow could be a couple of things. I'm thinking debris (clog) or just not enough water. I might hook up the city water connect just to make sure water is flowing as it should without the pump. If the pump diaphragm was bad I think you would see some leaking.

I'm actually thinking about installing a whale flipper galley pump or foot pump like we used to use while sailing...

fred 
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:38pm
Yeah! What Charlie said! Smile

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 7:23pm
O.K. folks, I'll try cleaning the filter and examining the hoses.  Problem is that the water pump in the 177 is so hard to get to, though someone here once said that it could be accessed through the storage compartment. Another possibility I've been thinking about is whether there could be air in the lines.  In any case, thanks much for your suggestions.
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:16pm
We just came back from a trip through the Tetons and Yellowstone. In Gros Ventre we got water for the pod that was full of grit. Ended up killing our water flow from the sink, but not the shower. So I had to clean the sink faucet of the grit to get water flow back.  If your sink flow stays low, unscrew the end aerator part and clean the gunk out. 

Our water flow to the shower and thus pump function, though, stayed good. And once we got clean water the issue didn't crop up again.

Btw, I hate the sink faucet. 
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:37pm
Thanks, I'll try that.  I remember the old Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton Park.  Years ago, I worked as a USPS ranger in the Park.  Gros Ventre was the least popular campground, but, at that time, it was pretty treeless.  I was stationed at Jenny Lake, and we had to twist people's arms to get them to camp at the Gros Ventre.  Since then, a nice forest of cottonwoods have grown up.  Now, I would camp there over any other in the Park.  In fact, I'll be there in late October, actually in Kelly, WY - just down the road from Gros Ventre - helping a friend do some repairs on his house there.
 Post Reply Post Reply