R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping refrigarator cold while driving - Event Date: 26 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Keeping refrigarator cold while driving
    Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:02pm
The RV refrigerator in our Rpods is an absorption refrigeration system. No compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNmDQu_fvY

My refrigerator worked fine on 12V on a 6K+ trip. My truck ran the frig and charged the pods batteries. Just remember to switch to propane when stopping for more than an hour. You could drain the TV batteries too.

The freezer made ice and kept everything cold. Outside temps were in the 90's too.

Cary
2014 RP-177
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Outbound

Yes, my fridge works perfectly fine on 12v.  It doesn't cool down as fast as propane (or even AC), but it certainly maintains a cold fridge.
But, I did install and wire my vehicle's Bargman connector myself and used 6 gauge wire (and a 20 amp self-resetting fuse) on the charge line.  That's the solution.If you've got 12 or 14 gauge wire on your charge line, it may very well be providing only a trickle charge to your trailer.  And that's the problem.
Unfortunately auto makers who install Bargmans seem to think we're just going to charge cell phones. A larger wire would also facilitate more recharge driving from site to site.

From what I've seen and heard from others, nearly all factory-installed charge lines going to the trailer use 14 gauge wire. The maximum 12 volt amperage that line can handle over that length is about 5 amps. And a quick Google search indicates that RV refrigerators typically pull 5-8 amps of 12 volt power when the compressor is running.

So unless you have thicker power line coming from your vehicle, your compressor might draw down your battery, but considering that the compressor won't be running continuously, this might never happen and would at least take a long to happen. If your fridge is already cold, your compressor won't be running very often, and your batteries shouldn't run down much, if any.

That being said, your vehicle is obviously only charging your Pod when it's running. Stopping for 1-2 hours may put a dent in your Pod's batteries, but it certainly shouldn't drain them. Most deep-cycle batteries have at least 75 amp hours of power when fully charged.

To be honest though, I don't know why so many people are afraid of running their fridge on propane while driving. I've only rarely heard of accidents by hearsay and even that only on the Internet. Just shut it off when you're refueling and you'll be just fine.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
papabear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:59am
I wonder if different car companies use bigger wire. Mine is a Chevy but the guy I talked to had a Toyota. What vehicles do you guys use?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Outbound

Yes, my fridge works perfectly fine on 12v.  It doesn't cool down as fast as propane (or even AC), but it certainly maintains a cold fridge.

But, I did install and wire my vehicle's Bargman connector myself and used 6 gauge wire (and a 20 amp self-resetting fuse) on the charge line.  That's the solution.

If you've got 12 or 14 gauge wire on your charge line, it may very well be providing only a trickle charge to your trailer.  And that's the problem.

Unfortunately auto makers who install Bargmans seem to think we're just going to charge cell phones. A larger wire would also facilitate more recharge driving from site to site.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:51am

But, I did install and wire my vehicle's Bargman connector myself and used 6 gauge wire (and a 20 amp self-resetting fuse) on the charge line.  If you've got 12 or 14 gauge wire on your charge line, it may very well be providing only a trickle charge to your trailer.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 6:36am
We use to run on propane in our Aliner until our friend said to use the 12 volt. Yes papabear is right your vehicle on the road will be charging your battery constantly. We continue to use 12 volt with RPod and every thing is very cold. Put a fridge thermometer in there so you can see the temperture. 38 on the highest setting when on the road and I take it down one setting once set up at camp on electricity. 40-42 is good unless you are opening the door a lot.
papabear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:16am
 Has anyone been able to keep their frig cold while running on 12 volt? I was talking to a guy from Oklahoma who said his 178 worked because the battery was being charged by the vehicle. My dealer says the battery only gets a trickle charge that will not keep the frig cold. On another vehicle I had, it was set up to charge the vehicle and when it was full a relay kicked it over to charge the trailer. I wonder if that would make the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456