R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Tank Beam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Tank Beam
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:00pm
I must let you all know of an unfortunate break down of our 2014 182.  We went camping for two nights at Leo Carrillo State Beach in CA a few weekends ago and all was good until we headed home.  This campground is only an hour from our house.  About 1/2 way home I heard a scraping noise coming from the trailer so I pulled over.  One of the two metal cross beams that support the fresh water tank snapped off on one side and was dragging on the ground.  The water tank was about 3" from hitting the ground.  Since our trailer is covered by Coach Net for the first Year I gave them a call and they sent out a trailer repair company (took 5 hours to get this all done).  Before he arrived to reattach the beam I crawled under the trailer to see what really happened - I couldn't believe my eyes!  This beam is mounted to the frame by only two very small screws.  The screws snapped in 1/2.  The tank was only half full of water so I would have never expected this.  The repair man also could not believe how this beam could only have two small screws holding up the tank and we all know how heavy water is.  He reattached the beam with 3 much stronger bolts on both sides of the beam.  Now I think a may do this to the other beam on the other side of the tank.  I bet the black and grey water tank is the same way.

Jackdaddy
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:12pm
Good tip-  I had noticed awhile back  crawling around under mine only 2 screws on each end, not only that but the angle used to support the tank is too short so the end plates welded on are off the frame about 1/4" on mine.  That can contribute to the screws breaking....

Now just imagine the black tank dropping down and getting punctured or scraped through on the roadDead
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:29pm
Gross!!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm
Thank you so much for posting this. I will definitely check under my trailer to see if this is something I can prevent happening to my Rpod.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:41pm
    My guess the Vibes may be built the same way, I too will check under our camper to see how tanks are attached. Sorry for your trouble but thank you for posting what happened to you in that it may prevent someone else having the same problem.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:43am
Tank support seems to be an industry problem since the manufacturers like to squeeze every last penny of profit out.
Back in 99 or so my Tahoe toy hauler severely bent the thin sheet metal angle supports holding the 4 tanks*.  I replaced them all with actual angle iron that was much stouter.  Went from something like 1.5" angle that was 1/16 thick to 2" angle 3/16 thick.  Problem solved.

*Yep 4 tanks, one grey, one black, and two ea 50 gallon fresh water tanks.   Toy Haulers back then were not seen much outside the dirt bike/ATV world in the deserts out west.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Mike B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:14am
Wow, I too will be crawling under our 177 to have a look.
Thanks for posting.
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:47pm
Thanks for this post.  I checked under my 179 and found the same thing for all three tanks. Each tank had two beams with one beam being welded in place and the other bolted in place so it can be removed to replace/remove the tank.  Although each bracket had three holes drilled only two sheet metal screws were used on each to attach it to the trailer frame.  My biggest concern was on one end of the black tank were there was a noticeable gap between the bracket and the trailer frame (~1/4"). This would make it even more likely for these bolts to shear or pull out.  I ended up adding a third 1/4" diameter screw to all except one end of the fresh water tank where I could not get access.

Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
svskier View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:22pm
Just spent the morning under the pod adding a third screw to the fresh black and gray water tanks. Also tightened all bolts I could get to, all were at least a half a turn loose
Mark
09 silverado 2500 hd
2013 pod 178
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:46pm
Nightmare scenario!  Looked under my 181 this morning and saw the same thing.  I wasn't too worried about the black or gray tanks, they are always empty when I pull out from anywhere, camping or home.  But I didn't like traveling with even 10 gallons in the fresh tank with out a better attachment.  This morning I drilled through the frame and installed a 2 3/4" X 5/16" bolt and ny-lock nut in the 2 empty holes.  I feel more secure now.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>