R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedoperating refrigerator on gas--HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: operating refrigerator on gas--HELP
    Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:16pm
Embarrassed NEED HELP ASAP please. We have bought our first camping trailer ever from a private seller. We do not know what we are doing.  Our son told us over the phone we should run the refrigerator on gas while we are traveling.  It is plugged into eletrical in our garage now,  It is a dometic rm8501 model.  To switch to gas it said to open the as cylinder valve ( on the gas cylinder, correct?)  It then says "Open the shut-off valve for gas supply to the refrigerator"  Where is that?  We cannot find it anywhere. We are hooked up and ready to leave.  Perhaps well just have to run it off the truck battery.  Frustrated!

Judy
NLPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:52pm
Never run it off the propane while traveling, run it from the battery as the tow vehicle will charge the battery as you are driving, IMHO.
RV --> 2014 RP176
TV --> 2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:55pm
I'll try to help since you're leaving soon, but I'll be going from memory since I no longer have a Pod. Perhaps a current owner will jump in and confirm or correct my memory.

You are correct to run the fridge on propane while traveling. Twelve volt operation is not as effective and can run your battery down quickly. This is a topic of great controversy, but the majority of campers run the fridge on gas while traveling. There is no safety risk. The propane bottles have built in flow limiters to prevent fire danger. Larger trailers do not even have a 12 volt option!

You are correct that the "gas cylinder" is the gas bottle. The valve should be turned on. If this is the first time since it was filled or connected you should run the stove a minute to clear the air from the gas line. The gas shutoff valve referred to in the book does not exist in the Pod. Just ignore it. Make sure the fridge is set to gas on the front pane by cycling the mode button until the flame icon lights up. The fridge should light in a few minutes. You may not be able to detect this, but you will get a flashing icon in a few minutes if it fails. If the fridge does not stay lit, cycle it to off with the mode button and try again including the air bleeding with the stove.

Have a good trip.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:04am
It's like CharlieM said, turn on the gas at the propane tank very slowly then lite your cooktop ( it may take a while because you have to bleed the air out of the line) now select your propane setting on the fridge, it should lite fairly quick. If you want to switch to 12 volt or 110 power select the setting on the fridge, your gas to the fridge will be automatically shut of, but only to the fridge.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:21am
As previously stated in another post, save your propane and run your fridge on the 12 volt when traveling. It is being charged, and my fridge on the highest setting is 38 degrees when on the road. Once set up in camp, switch to electric if available or propane if dry camping.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:27am
Running the fridge on 12v is very dependent on wiring sizes in the tow vehicle and the rv plus the connector contact condition .
Bottom line, many tow vehicles simply do not supply adequate current to keep the battery in the rv fully charged up while the fridge is running on 12v.

If yours does and you want to run on 12v then do so.

Personally after having owned many RVs over the last 40 years I've never been real happy with 12V operation, but others have.  YMMV and all thatSmile
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:31am
I guess, Budward, we have always towed with an F150, so that has made the difference. Prior to 2009, we thought we had to use the propane.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:35pm
Agree on the wiring issues with many factory setups, propane is just more reliable and is the "easy answer" w/o going into the elecrical technical stuff that many don't want to deal with.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
grandma20 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 8:48am
If you have to turn off the propne befre refueling do you stop before entering a gas station or when/ how do you shut it off?
Judy
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 9:20am
Another related questIon:  a month ago we got caught in PEI in our R-pod when Hurricane Arthur hit.  The campground lost power for over a full day.  When it happened,  I immediately switched the fridge to propane.  But, the battery eventually lost power and the fridge shut off and I couldn't relight it.  I assume that 12 volts must be present for the propane function to work... correct?  I also,suspect that my battery is not holding a charge properly, so that's another issue I will have to sort out.

Thanks for any comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>