R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Axle Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Axle Issues
    Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:03am
I mentioned in another thread about some axle issues with my new 179.
After 1000 miles or less I noticed the wheels started to lean it at the top- negative camber.
I also noticed the upward bend in the middle of the axle, put there during manufacture to give positive camber unloaded, with ideally close to zero camber when loaded, is now gone from the axle.  IOW it has bent.

So-  curious I headed off to the CAT truck scale.

The axle of the trailer has 3320 lbs on it ready to travel with a full tank of water, the stuff we usually carry and zero food or clothing, nothing in the black or grey tanks.  

Note this is without the weight distributing hitch hooked up which would easily add 100 lbs to the trailer axle, and probably more.    I'm guessing with another 100 lbs between the fridge items other food and clothes we would be around 3520.  The axle is rated for 3500.

Just for reference the tow vehicle, a Toyota FJ Cruiser weighed in at 5360 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas and no driver or passengers.  Note a good 400 of this is tongue weight from the trailer.

Now I see why the axle is bending after only a 1000 miles of road pounding....

Question for other 179 owners-  are you seeing this?

Oh and spare me the lecture about not traveling with a full tank of water-  we are heading out soon on a long trip where we will spend up to 6 days at a time in remote campgrounds out west without any water source so the tank will be full at times..
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:06pm
Be really interested in responses, especially if any from FR. We are looking at the 179 also with a TV being a 2014 Lexus GX (6,500lbs tow rating). The dealer we deal with orders all his R Pods with the risers.
 Have you raised this issue with FR?
John
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:21pm
Called FR this morning and actually got a live person!
They never heard of it, see the dealer yada yada...

Meanwhile Dexter, who told me they could build a heavier duty axle for it a few weeks ago now says they can't.
2014 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 2:22pm
Budward,

It looks like you are right at the limit, but I would not have expected the axle to act that way at its limit. All the bow could be gone, but the wheels should still be vertical and the tires wearing properly. It seems David and Danette were able to upgrade from a 3500# axle to a 4500# version on their Vibe. I don't know if they had Dexter or Lippert, but you might check with them. The axles are probably very similar physically. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
    This sounds like the same complaints Vibe owners had with a 3,500 lb. axle at times I wonder what the designers are thinking when they build these trailers. In time most likely when they have had enough complaints they will upgrade the axle to one stronger. I think Dexter makes a 6,000 lb. axle and I think that is what someone replaced there Vibe 3,500 lb. axle with. I am not sure if the frame could handle that much weight that is something you need to think about if you put on a stronger axle will frame support the weight.                     I just went to the Forest River web site you are about 500 lbs lighter than the heaviest Vibe. You are not in that bad of shape as the Vibes but I agree a stronger axle would be safer.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Budward,

It looks like you are right at the limit, but I would not have expected the axle to act that way at its limit. All the bow could be gone, but the wheels should still be vertical and the tires wearing properly. It seems David and Danette were able to upgrade from a 3500# axle to a 4500# version on their Vibe. I don't know if they had Dexter or Lippertt, but you might check with them. The axles are probably very similar physically. 
   Our axle is a Lippert by what I have read and heard Dexter is preferred over a Lippert. I was told to change axle manufactures it's not difficult to change mounting brackets which may be different. Other than manufacture the axles are near identical as far as I know. You could have defective axle like we did I would take it back to the dealer or try Camping World if there is one close to your home. Camping World has a lot of business and the experience of working with manufactures in warranty claims.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm
I can't see ever being much heavier than it weighed today, as said clothes and food for a trip weren't in it but everything else pretty much was. 
I've been digging through the Dexter info and have emailed them back about their stating a heavier axle would require "undercarriage alteration".
From what I see the mounting holes for the #11 axle, the rpod has a #10, are one inch farther apart.
If that is the only issue I can take care of that.
I'm heading out on a 10,000 mile plus trip in a few weeks and I sure don't want problems 3000 miles from home....
The local Dexter dealer tells me they can have an axle in 3-5 days which I kind of doubt as ALL Dexter axles are custom made to order.  I bought a pair for my enclosed trailer 10 years ago and can't recall how long it took for them to come in.

The other issue is the tires FR used on the rpod are only rated at 1760 lbs each so  3520 lbs total for the pair!  RV's are rarely weight balanced side to side so I'm guessing the left side, which is usually heavier -slide out/fridge/heater/water heater etc-   is already over the individual tire rating on that side.  Visually the left side does look worse.

If I go to a heavier axle I will also have to go to 15" tires/rims, not a bad thing really.   But the heavier axle takes a 6 bolt pattern, so the other 3 trailers I already own with 15" tires are 5 lug- won't fit, so spares I already have etc won't fit.   Can't win.

2014 179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Budward,

It looks like you are right at the limit, but I would not have expected the axle to act that way at its limit. All the bow could be gone, but the wheels should still be vertical and the tires wearing properly.  

I have had this problem in the past on another trailer- a car trailer loaded to 5500 lbs total with tandem axles rated at 7000 total.   1500 mile trip on lousy interstate and same thing- camber lost, tires leaning, wear on inside.
2014 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 5:08pm
     Budward our Vibe has a 4,400 lb. axle and 15" tires with 5 lug nuts. It would be expensive to change everything axle and wheels I know there are those that have done it with their Vibe. That's why I would recommend having it checked by a RV technician to see if it is defective and have it replaced under warranty.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 6:39pm
Yes Lippert makes a 4400 lb axle with 5 lug hubs.   Dexter does not, they go to 6 lug once you get above their 3500 lb class, same thing for Al-Ko.  
2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>