R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port
    Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 8:17am
Mount the socket as close as convenient to the power converter and wire it to one of the unused fuse locations. Use #12 or #10 AWG wire. This socket can be used for any 12V appliance when not measuring the battery, but it is important to get the voltmeter electrically as close to the battery as practical. The Innova meter is excellent; just disregard the colored lights and unplug it at night unless you want a really bright night light.

A lead-acid battery will read 12.1-12.2 at 50% SOC when at rest. This generally means no charge or discharge for 30-60 minutes. This is important because any load and any voltage drop due to wiring will produce a lower reading and cause premature panic in campers.Tongue It is normal for a voltmeter installed as above to read lower than 12.1 under load when the battery is still above 50%. It is best to read the voltage at the battery terminals after a period without heavy loads such as the heater, the pump, a 12V TV, the fan, or the fridge if on DC. Of course this assumes all lights are now LEDs.

And it is possible to get a battery to 10.5 volts, but you will then be thinking about a new battery. Don't do that.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 5:25pm
Yeah,good discussion here for sure.....

Installing a 12V outlet socket was one of the first things I did once we got it home.Not sure why Forest River didn't include one as standard equipment Thumbs Down.

Very easy utilizing one of the two existing empty fuse blocks,plugging in a 15amp fuse and using 10ga wire and mounting the socket on the shelf above the Breaker/Converter Box.Besides using it to charge phones etc,I have a small 150 watt inverter that I use to run the TV,it works great.I believe the TV pulls less than 50 watts.

I Do plan on installing a aftermarket Volt meter as well to  keep a better eye on things.I was thinking of using the remaining fuse block as a hook up point since the 8ga wire from the battery terminates there resulting in a more accurate reading.

The Innova plug in Meter looks like it would make it much simpler,thoughts....
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by GingerPod

I Do plan on installing a aftermarket Volt meter as well to  keep a better eye on things.I was thinking of using the remaining fuse block as a hook up point since the 8ga wire from the battery terminates there resulting in a more accurate reading.

The Innova plug in Meter looks like it would make it much simpler,thoughts....

Either way you're good to go. The plugin Innova is easier but you'll have to remove whatever's in your new socket. Wiring a separate voltmeter to an unused fuse will work just as well, but use up the last fuse slot. You could also wire the meter to your first unused fuse, in parallel with the new socket, right at the converter terminal. Your choice.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by GingerPod

Yeah,good discussion here for sure.....Installing a 12V outlet socket was one of the first things I did once we got it home.Not sure why Forest River didn't include one as standard equipment Thumbs Down.Very easy utilizing one of the two existing empty fuse blocks,plugging in a 15amp fuse and using 10ga wire and mounting the socket on the shelf above the Breaker/Converter Box.Besides using it to charge phones etc,I have a small 150 watt inverter that I use to run the TV,it works great.I believe the TV pulls less than 50 watts.I Do plan on installing a aftermarket Volt meter as well to  keep a better eye on things.I was thinking of using the remaining fuse block as a hook up point since the 8ga wire from the battery terminates there resulting in a more accurate reading.The Innova plug in Meter looks like it would make it much simpler,thoughts....

You don't have to unplug the Innova meter at all if you don't want to. Get a Wagan 4-way socket splitter on Amazon for $11.47 so you can leave your meter plugged in, your car charger, 12 volt fan, and whatever else you want to.

http://smile.amazon.com/Wagan-4-Way-Automotive-Socket-Extender/dp/B0009JB7GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406516010&sr=8-1&keywords=wagan+4

And if you're asking for feedback on the Innova meter, I've gotten great use out of it. It gives you readings to the hundredth of a volt, and I've used one continuously for months.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 12:07am

"You don't have to unplug the Innova meter at all if you don't want to. Get a Wagan 4-way socket splitter on Amazon for $11.47 so you can leave your meter plugged in, your car charger, 12 volt fan, and whatever else you want to. "

Not a good idea. Voltage drop in the wire between the splitter and the plug will yield a falsely low reading. The meter needs to be separately wired as close to the battery as possible. A separate connection to the fuse panel is good enough if there are very few other loads operating.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:47am
Originally posted by CharlieM

"You don't have to unplug the Innova meter at all if you don't want to. Get a Wagan 4-way socket splitter on Amazon for $11.47 so you can leave your meter plugged in, your car charger, 12 volt fan, and whatever else you want to.
"
Not a good idea. Voltage drop in the wire between the splitter and the plug will yield a falsely low reading. The meter needs to be separately wired as close to the battery as possible. A separate connection to the fuse panel is good enough if there are very few other loads operating.

Not to be persnickety, but this works fine. The splitter line is short, so the voltage drop is minimal. A quick check using a voltage drop calculator indicates that with a very low amp draw (1 amp, which is far more than the meter draws), the voltage drop is about .016 over the 34" splitter line. It's far less than even that with a .2 amp draw (probably about what the Innova meter draws) at only .003. Anyone can live with that.

Steven Harris, an energy expert who has helped thousands of lay-people build battery banks, highly recommends this exact setup: www.battery1234.com
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:17am
I built this little panel for $4 worth of parts from amazon.. handy to have. This picture was taken as part of a 'fridge experiment. This is 7 hours in, fridge on 12v, dual group 27's. Turned the breaker back on at this point. It reads the same as my fluke placed on the battery terminals. BTW, I would be much more worried by an "optimistic" reading than a "pessimistic" one... So even if it reads a couple thousandths less than actual, I can live with it.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:38am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Not to be persnickety...................

You are correct if nothing else is plugged into the splitter. It's the higher current drawn from the splitter by other things like charges, fans, computers, etc. that cause voltage drop. These contribute to inaccuracy in the voltage reading. If you're going expend the effort why not do it right?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:43am
Originally posted by furpod

I built this little panel for $4 worth of parts from amazon.. handy to have. This picture was taken as part of a 'fridge experiment. This is 7 hours in, fridge on 12v, dual group 27's. Turned the breaker back on at this point. It reads the same as my fluke placed on the battery terminals. BTW, I would be much more worried by an "optimistic" reading than a "pessimistic" one... So even if it reads a couple thousandths less than actual, I can live with it.

Nice job there Furpod!

This further confirms my notion that running dual batteries is going to meet our dry camping needs especially when running the Fridge on propane,and having a Solar charger.

I like this idea with this little meter...I've seen them on Amazon,very inexpensive
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 8:43am
I copied furpod's idea. Cheap, easy and looks great.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>