R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease help me with 30 amp ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me with 30 amp ??
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:28pm
I am getting really confused.....we have a 25 ft 30 amp power cord that came with the rpod 177 we just purchased. We park the camper under our carport that does not have a power source closer than 40ft away. We plug it in to a an adapter that plugs into a regular 110 extension cord, then into a 110 outlet. When we do this and try to run just the AC in the camper within 2 minutes the breaker trips.....we live in a double wide mobile home and very rarely have a problem with breakers. Any suggestions? Do we need to get a heavy duty extension cord, or maybe a 50 ft 30 amp cord or should there be a different power source that it plugs into? Please keep the answer as simple as possible. I'm getting very frustrated! 
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:37pm
Check the rating of the circuit breaker for the circuit you're plugging into.  I will be very surprised if it
is rated for more than 20 amps or so.  We experienced the identical thing, but figured out right away
that the breaker was not up to the draw of the A/C unit.  Everything works fine when plugged into a 
30 amp tower at the campground.  Trust me.....
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:38pm
You cannot run you A/c off of the 110 plug. You can only run it when you plug into a 30 amp at a campground or a larger generator.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:40pm
I don't know what a "regular 110" extension cord is. But you want to run the shortest you can, and use one rated for the load, in this case, either 15 or 20 amps. You need a heavy duty extension cord, a 10/3. The rating on the circuit in your home may be the issue also. Not much to be done about that in a manufactured home.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:49pm
First question is what is the rating of the breaker that is tripping? 15A or 20A? A 15A breaker by itself is very marginal for the AC. What else is on that breaker? Other outlets, appliances, lights? These items will reduce the current available for the camper. A 20A circuit, used by itself, should handle the AC but not much else.

A "regular" extension cord is usually #16 AWG or #14 AWG. These actually cause the AC to draw more current, thereby tripping the breaker faster. The minimum extension cord should be a heavy duty #12 AWG cord. #10 wire is better if you can find it. Keep it as short as possible.

The ultimate solution would be a properly installed 30 Amp RV outlet wired with #8 wire. You cannot upgrade the existing breaker without rewiring the mobile home.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ArthroPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:12pm
I have to agree with CharlieM.  My 177 is 100 ft away from the power source and I use a 10gauge extension cord.  No problem running the A/C. Have 20amp breaker.                              
177 toad with Ford 150
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Leo B

You cannot run you A/c off of the 110 plug. You can only run it when you plug into a 30 amp at a campground or a larger generator.

I do it all the time and have for years with many different campers.  The unit in my 179 draws around 13 amps when running...

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Donnat10 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:42pm
Thank you all for the info.  I really like this site. everybody is so helpful.
Most of the circuits in the breaker box are 15A. The one I was trying to use was a 15 and has other things on it. There are a few slots open on the breaker panel. I am going to see if a 20A can be put in so we can use if for the camper AC only.  Thanks so much for helping to clarify all this. 

Smile
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Donnat10

Thank you all for the info.  I really like this site. everybody is so helpful.
Most of the circuits in the breaker box are 15A. The one I was trying to use was a 15 and has other things on it. There are a few slots open on the breaker panel. I am going to see if a 20A can be put in so we can use if for the camper AC only.  Thanks so much for helping to clarify all this. 

Smile

A new 20A breaker can be added, but it must be wired separately with #12AWG minimum, #10AWG preferably. #12 would be allowed by code, but #10 would be better. Voltage drop due to small wire is your enemy. You cannot add a 20A breaker and use it with the existing wiring. 

Keep us informed. Good luck and happy camping.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:44pm
Also, if you are going to run a new circuit.. run a 30A. Takes up the same space in the box and in the wall.. Then you can use everything in the camper, and the cost difference will be minimal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>