R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI want an awning!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want an awning!
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 3:43pm
We just bought our 179 a few months ago...still in love with it especially after last week in Wyoming and Southern Montana.  Has anyone found any awning solutions for the Pod?  We're not fans of the R-Dome or the Brow.  Would an 8' awning work?  Would the sides of the Pod support an awning?  We live in the mountains and would like to sit somewhere outside the Pod that has shade and protection from the regularly scheduled afternoon thunder storms.  I haven't seen anything online or on this forum that suggests an awning for a Pod.  BTW, for the first time ever, we saw a ton (about 10) Pods on the road last week near Yellowstone...the majority of which seemed to be the garage models.  In addition, we had five different people in different places who approached the Pod and said..."we really like your trailer."  We followed it with..."would you like to see inside?" All were appreciative for the tour. 
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 4:39pm
Several owners have made, or had made, custom awnings. The shape and size of the pod, even the ginormous 179, does not lend itself to a permanent awning attachment.

Some ideas could be found here. This is not an endorsement. I have no stake in this website or person. I have seen her work and liked it very much. A pod at the ERU had one of hers mounted. Had a clean vintage look. Seemed very well sewn.

Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:50pm
Thanks, Furpod, I agree that she does a great job with the vintage awnings. I'm hoping for a more traditional awning.  I guess I'll just buy an EZ-up type shade cover until someone develops an awning.
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
RKTodd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:27am
I just ordered a 10x12 nylon tarp and three tent poles to make my awning with. Since the "C" molding is already installed on the unit. All I have to do is sew in a 3/8" rope along one edge (to slide into the "C" molding), add my stakes and ropes, and it will be done.

I have done this in the past with other campers and it works great!
Randall & Rhonda
2014 RP-179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:09am
I basically did what RKTodd is doing-  I did not have to sew in the rope, I managed to thread it through the nylon awning hem, after removing the brass grommets. 
One difference-  I used a 1/2" rope.  I don't think the 3/8" would stay in, and the 1/2" fit fine since the nylon is thin..
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:10am
Prior to rPod, we have purchased several means of providing shade and still use them depending on where we are camping. A 12x12 canopy is one and would like to point out if you consider a canopy, make sure there are tie down velcro straps on all four sides. We paid over $200 for a canopy at Camping World and lost it due to heavy rains that came up unexpectedly. The lack of the straps caused the canopy to collapse due to water pooling against the side of the frame as it ran down from the top. Our favorite is the pop-up style screen rooms from Coleman. We are fortunate to have an outlet store two hours away and we purchased at that location. Good luck.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 8:00am
A couple of years ago, I considered installing a proper RV awning on my r-pod.  I had a serious look at some very compact awnings made for conversion vans.

In the end, I decided against it.  To fit a straight awning along my r-pod 171's curved roof, the awning would have to be quite short (5'5"), it would be less than 2" above the door (undoubtedly the door would scrape along the awning when opened), and the front support strut would be located very close to the r-pod's door hinge (and prevent the door from opening much more than 90 degrees).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 11:05pm
We've taken some hard looks at the 10x10 folding tents that are on sale right now. You can get one for $100 or less. They're the kind you see people using when tailgating. It would need to be secured to the pod somehow to avoid wind blowing it around too much, but it would literally take 1 minute to set up.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply