FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLousy Forest River support for buyers - Event Date: 21 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Lousy Forest River support for buyers
    Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:21am
Hello.

I'm new to travel trailers. In southern WV there is not a good selection of dealers, I finally went to Couch's in Ohio for my R-Pod. The local dealer wanted to charge mucho $$ for a R-Pod with a 3rd rate brake controller and it's installation and no local dealer service if I didn't buy it from the robbers. (Couch's gave me a local name, so that's been handled)

Forest River is INDIFFERENT to my complaint. Obviously, they support dealers, absolutely, over users. I understand that JAYCO is superior, any dealer will service any trailer no matter where purchased. Nobody, as far as I am concerned, can beat an R-Pod for my needs, but if everything is equal Jayco, and similar companies that care about customers, might be a better choice.

I'm beginning to think that an honest travel trailer dealer is even rarer than honest car dealers.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 10:16am
What does Forest River have to do with bad dealers?

And what complaint exactly did you make to Forest River about this that they were indifferent to?

Very sorry to hear that you've had an unpleasant experience thus far, but certainly hope it doesn't dampen your spirits when it comes to enjoying your new Pod!

Safe and happy travels with it!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:54am
Forest River has ZERO control over what or how individual dealers handle their business. Like it or not, it's how the RV industry works.It's not always a best bet to purchase from a wholesaler, but people do it.

Here is a link to Couch's instructions on how to handle any warranty issues that might arise after your purchase.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 1:10pm
   If there is a Camping World near your home you can take your r-pod there for warranty work.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 1:38pm
Good luck on any Forest River warranty work-   my countertop was damaged by a leaking, improperly installed,  rear window.  Warranty will cover it. 
 I was told directly by Forest River personnel it would be 2 weeks to get a counter top.  When I told the dealer this they laughed- yeah right they said!
It has now been 8 weeks.
So yeah they have a "bumper to bumper" one year warranty...but if they can't send out a part in a timely manner, what good is it? 
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 2:35pm
True that FR is allowing warranty claim work at CWs. The bad news is, if a large part is required, FR waits until another camper is scheduled for delivery in the area so they can combine shipments. The replacement counter top awaits a free ride in some other trailer. I had a similar situation awaiting replacement of improper waste water tanks. It stretched out to 4+ months, including when the trailer to be delivered went missing for more than a week. The driver ran out of allowable driving hours and just walked away. Go figure.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 3:33pm
   That may be true if the parts are coming from Forest River but we just had our axle replaced twice and it was about a two week wait for the new axle to arrive. But the axles I believed were covered under the manufactures warranty and were sent directly from Lippert. And I believe too that insulation for the refrigerator was covered under the Dometic warranty and it arrived from the manufacture. And now that I remember there was a vibration and sound upgrade package for the AC that too was sent directly from Dometic. So I guess it depends on the parts, counter tops I understand that is manufactured most likely by Forest River.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 4:06pm
Tell me about your axle issues-   I have noticed the axle is bending on my new 179.  It is a Dexter.
I think FR cut the capacity too close for a 3500 lb axle.  The factory camber in the axle is gone, ie center of axle is now flat so the wheels are leaning in at the top.  I confirmed with Dexter the axle was built with camber. 
We've never had anywhere near maximum load and maybe only have 1000 miles on it, if that.
Reading on the net FR is well known for using too light of axles it seems....but they aren't the only one.

I actually had planned to order an axle from Dexter with a different angle on the arms to raise the camper a little bit, before I noticed the bending.
I have an email in to Dexter right now asking how strong of an axle they can build and still use the 5x4.5 bolt circle wheels.

Re:the countertop- no FR subs them out.  That is why they said it would take 2 weeks....one week to get it from the supplier and one week to get it to the dealer.
2014 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

That may be true if the parts are coming from Forest River but we just had our axle replaced twice and it was about a two week wait for the new axle to arrive.

Dave,

I too am interested in the axle saga. I recall early on you were concerned about the cargo capacity on the Vibe. As I recall you were told FR would be using a higher capacity axle and they would upgrade yours. I see FR is now advertising the Vibe 65XX at GVWR=4700#+. Did you have trouble with the upgraded axle too? I've always thought the larger Pods should have been dual axle and the same for the Vibes. Livinlite (Camplite) uses dual Dexter 3500# axles starting with their 2400# empty weight models.

I also recall Gulfstream RV had a lot of trouble with their single axle 19' Visa/Vista trailers, although I think they used Lippert.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:50pm
Yeah I find it curious that my 179 uses the same rating axle as my Aliner, which weighed over 1200 lbs less..
2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>