R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlat tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat tire
    Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:08pm
It seems many of us have posted about the optimum place to locate/store the spare tire on the Rpod but I haven't seen a lot of posts about actually using the spare tire to replace a flat tire.

Has anyone out there actually had to replace a flat tire on their Rpod with the spare?

If so, are there any bits of advice or tips you can provide?  Where do you place the jack? What type of jack did you use?

Thanks,

Cody91
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:25pm
I met with our tech about this Friday during our walk thru. We carry a small floor jack and he showed me where it should be place. A spot under the axle about 6-8 inches in from the tire. He advised that there a some wires zipped tied in there, he advise to slide them up so as not to pinch them.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Leo B

I met with our tech about this Friday during our walk thru. We carry a small floor jack and he showed me where it should be place. A spot under the axle about 6-8 inches in from the tire. He advised that there a some wires zipped tied in there, he advise to slide them up so as not to pinch them.

Thanks Leo for sharing your knowledge on this.  I'll take a look at the axle on my Rpod 178.  I guess it would be the same axle on your 179.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 6:05am
I would send you a picture, but haven't been able to upload pictures yet. Not real computer savy.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:13am
Seems like flat tires are a thing of the past for me.  (Watch me get one tomorrow!)  That said I always carry a spare on both my TT and utility trailer, and just for good measure, I throw in my "Slime Spair" kit  (yes, that's how you spell it.) when traveling any significant distance.  It has a 16 oz bottle of "Slime" and a compressor included, doesn't take much space and can be used to help out a stranded fellow traveler.  It has some drawbacks; can't be used in a tire with pressure monitors, a "tubed" tire, and it's a mess when you get the tire permanently repaired, but it will get you home.  I've used "Slime" in all my ATVs, garden tractors, and any other rubber tired implements, never a flat.  (except when I put a 2" limb through both sidewalls on my ATV's front tire,imagine that!) 
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 12:17am
I have been pondering this very same question, but, I must say the information I have received so far is mixed. None of the FR documentation indicates where the lift points are on the trailer. I asked my service tech at my dealer and the answer was "any where on the frame". Another school of thought is on the axle. We all know how the generic FR camper manual falls seriously short of satisfying POD owners. However, I was very surprised to learn that FR provided absolutely no guidance on this very important safety issue, where are the lifting points on the trailer? Whoever is keeping a list for FR improvements and/or things owners would like to see fixed, I think this is a good one. There is one hint hidden deep on page 60 of the "Lippert Components Towable RV Master Manual" that states "Follow trailer manufacturer's recommendations for lifting and supporting..." that don't seem to exits, but then on the next breath issues a warning to never lift by the axle. 

hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 8:16am
a long time ago someone posted a block they made to put under/around the axle for jacking which looked pretty slick.  i can't find the pic however.   anyone remember this?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
The consensus here over the years is dont lift via the frame, and use wood under the axle, as mentioned.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by techntrek

The consensus here over the years is dont lift via the frame, and use wood under the axle, as mentioned.

Well, I confirmed this with Forest River-R-Pod Service Division. The recommendation is to jack on the axle even though the axle manual says to NEVER lift via the axle. Rhetorically of course, is it to much to ask FR to issue lifting point guidance on their vehicle? Thanks for your help on this Tech...I appreciate it.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Podster

Originally posted by techntrek

Well, I confirmed this with Forest River-R-Pod Service Division. The recommendation is to jack on the axle even though the axle manual says to NEVER lift via the axle. Rhetorically of course, is it to much to ask FR to issue lifting point guidance on their vehicle? Thanks for your help on this Tech...I appreciate it.

I've watched Forest River actually change someones tire, on the axle right at the connection point to the frame is what they did and advised others to do.

But I still go with levitation with mine!  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>