Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNov Scotia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nov Scotia
    Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 5:08am
Planning a nova scotia trip with our r-pod. any good campgrounds? Reservations neededSmile ahead of time?  Not to be missed scenery?
Judy
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 6:29am
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:56pm
If you are going to Nova Scotia you should travel the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands. It has everything. breath taking views, different cultures (Accadian French, Irish, Scotish). There is the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and The French Fortress of Louisbourg is nearby. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 7:35pm

We stayed for a couple of days at a commercial campground near Digby, and I can't recall the name.  We also stayed at a beautiful provincial park, and I am not sure but I think it was Thomas Raddall park.  We were there in the middle of June and almost alone in the park.  It was fantastic.  What a beautiful province.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
CaperPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:08am
I second Seanl's suggestion. If you're coming to Nova Scotia, make sure to travel the Cabot Trail. Cape Breton Highlands National Park has 2 campgrounds, one on the west side and one on the east side. Cheticamp is the one on the western side and Broad Cove is the one on the eastern side.
Most of the Provincial parks are really good although some are more popular than others and require reservations in advance if you hope to get a spot.
Let me know if you want or need more information on Nova Scotia.
Don, Mimi, & Nola the Goldendoodle
2013 RPod 177 (CachePod)
2013 F-150 4x4
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 7:27pm
I have never enjoyed a vacation more than our Nova Scotia trip.  I hope to visit again some day.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 4:56pm
We traveled to Nova Scotia before we had our Pod.  the thing that I remember was that everything seemed to close down Oct.1.  check before you go if you are planning to be there in the fall/early winter.  We were able to catch the tide change (12'+/-) at Bay of Fundy near St. John's.
We followed the Lighthouse Route, the Cabot Trail and returned from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, Maine via ferry.

Nova Scotia reminded me of rural USA in the mid 50's-much less lights, developement and traffic.  a beautiful area with scenic places everywhere.  Friendly people and reasonable prices.

Enjoy the trip
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:56pm
OK! Now this is on our bucket list!

Thanks!

Gonna need a bigger bucket...

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:48pm
I've been a resident of Nova Scotia since 1970; I guess that makes it 44 years.  Part of that time I lived in Sydney, near the Cabot Trail.  That is a must-see, especially near the end of September, when the fall leaves are at their height.  Most campgrounds are open through that period, but check ahead just to be sure.  We have stayed at The Highlands National Park in Cheticamp (highly recommended). Most campgrounds in the province remain open until Canadian Thanksgiving, the second Monday in October, the same as Columbus Day in the US.

Three things to be careful of if you're traveling in Cape Breton in late September:  
1.  Moose are everywhere, and are a real threat, especially in the evenings.  A moose hit at any speed will do a lot of damage and cause some serious injuries.
2.  Be prepared for chilly night time temperatures.  Take the frost warnings seriously.
3.  Cheticamp, which is in Northern Cape Breton, is subject to Les Suêtes winds, which can gust as high as 125 mph in the aftermath of large storms.  If these winds are forecast, stay put.
That said, the Trail is well worth the visit.

Once in Nova Scotia, expect fairly hilly and windy driving conditions.  It's not a place where one can tow economically.  Gasoline today is running $1.34/liter.  Multiply that by 4 (since there are almost exactly 4 litres in a US gallon), make the differential adjustment between the US and Canadian Dollar, and you will pay very close to $5.00 US a gallon.

I now live in Bridgewater, which is on the Lighthouse Route, and there are many many small communities and places to see along the Nova Scotia South Shore (the "old" route from Halifax to Yarmouth - Hwy 3).  My favourite place, Blue Rocks, is only 20 minutes from my home and seems to be a microcosm of all that Nova Scotia offers:  rugged beauty, peace, quiet, quaint buildings, and friendly people.  

We have found a particularly charming little campground, Fisherman's Cove RV & Campground, which, for us, is less than an hour away.  It is in Hunt's Point, about 20 minutes south of Liverpool N.S.  The sites are random-shaped, yet private.  There is no "parking lot" arrangement.  The owners are very friendly and accomodating, and the facilities are spotless.  There are many other very good places in the province as well.

I am not a fan of the NS provincial parks, since none of them have serviced sites.  They do have very good washroom facilities, water and dumping stations, but, other than that, you are camping dry.  The good news is that they are in prime areas:  Graves Island (near Chester), Thomas Riddel (near Liverpool), and Risser's Beach (near Petite Rivière) are three very popular parks, and they offer different experiences and vistas.  There are many more in other parts of the province.

After a few years with no ferry running between Maine and Yarmouth, one has resumed this year between Yarmouth and Portland, Maine.  Be prepared to pay a lot of money, though.  A return trip with two adults and a 'pod in back will likely run in the area of $800.00, and more if you wish to book a cabin  And embarking, travelling, and disembarking can occupy up to 14 hours.   Instead, you might enjoy taking your time and camp through Maine and New Brunswick on your way to Nova Scotia.  Time on the road from Boston to my home in Bridgewater is 13 hours one way (we do this often), so you won't really gain any time by taking the ferry.  You certainly won't save any money.  Of course, the cruise itself is often seen as part of the enjoyment.  Look up Nova Star Cruises for details about schedules, and costs for taking your 'pod.

If you are thinking of visiting Nova Scotia, just ask on this forum, and I will answer what I can as honestly as I can.  I'm not known for sugar-coating things.  I can say that you will have a wonderful time, meet wonderful and peaceful people, and will never forget it.

Happy camping, and we might even meet!
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
grandma20 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:31am
Thanks so much. We are getting there. We are walmart camping in Moncontin (sp). On our way .to Cabot trail. It is taking us longer to get there than I thought. We came from Dubuque,Iowa. And have been on the road for 9days so far. About how long does the Cabot trail take ?  Thanks for your information. Judy
Judy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>