R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLost Wheel While Driving - Event Date: 03 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Lost Wheel While Driving
    Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:18pm
Doesn't hurt to just check before every trip. Just checked mine after a 300 mile run and two were loose.
Hate it when that happens
Mark
09 silverado 2500 hd
2013 pod 178
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:20pm
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Patti'sPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:21pm
Welcome, Dan!  Congrats on your new purchase!   No one at the dealer warned me about it either, even during the walk-through.
Have you noticed the stickers above the wheel wells, indicating the necessity of torquing the lugs?
I didn't notice it and neither did the mechanics at the RV repair shop!   Scary..Confused

Aside from that 'flying wheel' matter, I absolutely love my R-Pod.  Hope you always will, as well.
Thanks for the link, and enjoy!  
Patti & Lilah (the dog-child)
2014 RP178
04 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by John & Barb

This is NOT the same sticker we have.  Ours just says tighten before a trip, not stating how long a trip is--cross country/Alaska/LA???  all those are over the mileage we have on our rpod.

Ok you admit seeing a sticker that says "tighten before a trip".

In your first post you said you were on your second trip when the wheel became loose.

So you HAD tightened the lug nuts twice or not? Ying Yang
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm
Prior to our ordering our 171 I read every maintenance post here. A torque wrench was recommended by someone as well as torqueing them on a regular basis. I religiously torque the nuts to 100 ft/lbs and I also check the tire pressure on each tire on the Pod. One less thing to worry about is losing a wheel while traveling. The suggested torque wrench is a Mountain brand which I purchased from Amazon for about $50. Never had one before. Now I check them prior to each trip. As I recall, another posted a concern that the nuts were rusting on their Pod. Looked into that and replaced all the lug nuts with Gorilla brand. Hope that will remind others how important the maintenance of these Pods is. Another Podder lost a wheel bearing because the bearings were not repacked each travel season. He thought that an occasional grease on the zirk fittings was enough. Evidently, not so. Not a mechanic, and possibly others will have more and better input, but I don't want to deal with wheel and bearing problems, ever. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Patti'sPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
Wow...this story resembles mine almost to the 'T'!  Only diff is ALL my studs were sheared off
The RV shop stated they could not determine if anything was defective, nor if the lugs were too tight or not tight enough.  One stud was found on the road with the lug nut still on.
However, even after they torqued both wheels, by the time I arrived at my next destination 2 lugs on one wheel were loose again. 
None of my trailer-towing friends have heard of this dilemma either.
I wonder of the stickers above the wheel-well would override the lack of warning in the manual.
If an "authorized" RV repair shop found that defect in your lugs, then Forest River would have to cover the cost.  According to the authorized dealer that had fixed mine, they get more $$ doing 'warranty covered' work than 'out of pocket' from the customer..because they would want 'everything' replaced (all studs, brake drum, etc).  I guess he told me that in order to state he wold not hold back any evidence of defects or try to just gt me to pay NOW, instead of waiting for their reply (which took 4 business days, btw, before I had to call again)
Thanks for your reply and what you've done!
Wishing you SAFE & happy travels!   :)
Patti & Lilah (the dog-child)
2014 RP178
04 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 4WD
Bulldogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:03pm
Whoa! I've never packed the wheel bearings. Of course we just our pod this year, but I'm not even sure I know how to do that. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:22pm
I know a lot of Podders pack their own. At my age I ain't doin that by myself. A rather dirty job. According to the wisdom here, you should repack them every 5-7K miles or to be on the safe side at the end of each travel season. I take mine to Camping World nearby. After checking with my delivering dealer who wanted me to make a couple of boat payments for him, Camping World did it for about $150. To me, cheap insurance. Don't want to lose a bearing, ever. Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Bulldogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:26pm
Excellent advice, Camper Bob. We have a camping world near by, I will check into that service for us as well. We will probably go ahead and have them winterize it for us as well, check the seals and roof for leaks, etc. I hope I haven't missed any other important maintenance items. This forum is great for getting good advice from those more experienced with podding than I am. Thank you!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm
Your more than welcome.  Remember we were all newbies at one time.  This board is a godsend.  Instead of learning it after the fact, so much easier to read what others have done.  No need to reinvent the wheel each time.  I have learned a great deal here and continue to learn.  I was hesitant to winterize the first year, but read techntreks advice on how to do it, and now it's a piece of cake.  Do draw the line at repacking the wheel bearings, however.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>