R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank
    Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:34pm
Just one more reason why I'm keeping my new tank.
Plus the exchange tanks usually look really crappy; paint peeling, multiple colors, etc....
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Originally posted by furpod

Is there enough room to do a 30 pounder? that would give you 1/2 more duration anyways. One of the things I noticed when we saw our first vibe was the way the propane tank and batterylayout didn't lend itself to adding more for boondocking..

Unless there is some king of overhead clearance issue, or the propane hose is not long enough, a 30 pound tank has the same diameter as a 20 pound tank. I installed one on my R-Pod no problems. There really isn't room on the tongue for 2 tanks without a lot of metal work involved.

Actually even the 40lb tank is the same diameter.
My only concern straying away from the 20 is nobody does exchanges on the 30's/40's, at least not that I've ever seen.
Out on the road* exchanges of 20's are all over, getting a 40 filled may not be handy.
 I've even seen unmanned 20 lb tank exchange systems that take a credit card swipe and pop open a door to let you get your filled tank then you place your empty in that compartment.  
I'm not too impressed though - the one time I tried to use an Amerigas one, it wouldn't open the door, and of course there is no means of them checking that and it billed my credit card anywayAngry
Took a few phone calls to get my money back.

*I never use an exchange at home, it is much cheaper to get a tank refilled- and most don't know the exchange tanks generally only fill 15 lbs so the charge is even more than you think at first glance.

Here is a question for Colorado residents-  I was camped at Moraine Park in Rocky Mountain National Park and ran in to Estes Park to get a tank refilled.  The guy asked me who owned the tank.   What?    Well it had an Amerigas or some such wrap on it and he said he couldn't fill it!
Being a little bit of a smart*** I sarcastically asked if I peeled the wrapper off would he fill it?   Sure he said!   So I did.
Is this normal in Colorado?  Never run into that anywhere else.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Unless there is some king of overhead clearance issue, or the propane hose is not long enough, a 30 pound tank has the same diameter as a 20 pound tank. I installed one on my R-Pod no problems. There really isn't room on the tongue for 2 tanks without a lot of metal work involved.

Took 10 minutes. Cut the factory one off, bolt down double tank holder base in existing holes, mount tanks, plumb.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 3:25pm
Once at your campsite, pull the cylinder out of the back os the truck and drop a padalock through it and one of your safety chains.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 1:55pm
     We need to be careful and that is why I want to find a safe place for the tank! Not to be over paranoid but use common sense and make sure I am making a safe decision.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by barbanjoe

Did you see the news report about the food truck in Philadelphia that blew up from a propane leak? Even in an open area propane stays low to the ground and doesn't disperse. That may be why DOT rules are that way.

barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 1:13pm
Did you see the news report about the food truck in Philadelphia that blew up from a propane leak? Even in an open area propane stays low to the ground and doesn't disperse. That may be why DOT rules are that way.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 1:07pm
   I just read on the V Cross forum that D.O.T. does not allow a propane tank to be stored in a locked compartment. The bed of our truck locks and would want to keep it locked if we had things of value stored in it. If this is true about D.O.T. I may need to make a decision not to keep anything of value in the bed of the truck or find another way to store the propane tank. I am sure in time I will have it figured out.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 5:22pm
    There is only enough room for a 20 lb. tank, it is a compartment enclosed with sheet metal, plywood around the sheet metal its under the front part of the dinette seat with a door on the outside with two latches. After reading everyone's comments on this forum and Forest River I think Doug ( techntrek ) has the best answer in the back of the truck. I am going to check to see how much ventilation there is. With the weight of a full tank of propane, I think I would rather if possible to have that in the back of the truck. And leave the room and cargo weight for more important things in the camper. If you want you could go to Forest River under  the V Cross owners forum and read there response. With a single axle trailer you need to have things balanced properly and needing ventilation I think the back of the truck would be the best place for it. I read it was better to have your cargo as much as possible in your tow vehicle  than your camper, its safer that way. Thank you everyone for your thoughts they all helped me in making a decision. There are a few Vibe owners out there who helped too Smile and of course r-pod owners too Smile.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by furpod

Is there enough room to do a 30 pounder? that would give you 1/2 more duration anyways. One of the things I noticed when we saw our first vibe was the way the propane tank and batterylayout didn't lend itself to adding more for boondocking..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>