Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew owner in SC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner in SC
    Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:28pm
Another alternative is a tongue extension on the trailer.   I made and used one on my Aliner that worked quite well, and had no mods to the trailer at all.   Basically it was a ball welded on a piece of 1/4" wall 2" square tubing with another coupler on the one end of the tubing.   The other end of the tubing was bolted to the trailer A-frame plate where the safety chains attach.
The ball went in the hitch, the other end was bolted to the A-frame and the end forward of the ball had a coupler to attach to the tow vehicle ball.   Added about 18" to the trailer tongue and allowed the rear door of the FJ Cruiser (which has a huge one side hinged rear door) to open and clear the trailer.   The jack was also moved back to between the LP tank and battery.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Outbackdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 10:30pm
Thanks. I have have many truck campers and used short extensions. 12 a 18". Only pulling boats. Moving the jack might be the best. You going to Overland Expo in Ashville in Oct.. hope to learn more about dry camping. Want to take the pod and vstrom. 
176T, Dodge Dakota TV,
South Carolina
Dave,Mary and Olivia(sheltie)
Suzuki V-Strom Adventure,
Custom built TearDrop
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 4:34am
Hadn't heard about the Overland Expo- went to their website and it looks interesting, but they need to provide the details so I can make plans.   At $270 a person/ $480 a couple for the "full experience" -it better be very good!
I see Four Wheel Camper is one of their sponsors-  I have one of those too.

BTW besides the V-strom I have two street licensed full on dirt bikes- can't do that anymore, one of the reasons I've held on to them.  SC later cracked down and it is not possible to get license plates anymore for dirt bikes, commercial dual sports, yes, but not actual dirt bikes. they will however keep renewing what I have.  
One is a 98 Honda XR400 and the other is a 00 Kawasaki KDX200.  
Try riding the KDX on the street, bright green and trailing 2 stroke smoke, the attendant ring ding ding ding sound, and see how many times you get stopped by the authorities.    They are always shocked when I pull off my helmet, they see grey hair, and I have registration and insurance.LOL 
Been places on them the V-strom could only dream about,  of course they won't cruise at 75 either!
2014 179
AdventuRPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 9:06pm
Hey Outbackdave

Welcome from AdventuRPOD, also a motorcyclist, '90 BMW GSPD adventure bike. We also love Hunting Island, SC camping. Lived in Lexington, SC for 28 yrs. Now in KY.

I too am working on a method to carry my bike in my truck while towing the RPOD. I don't think a hitch extension is practical myself. What I am thinking about building is a ramp for the bike resting on the tailgate, yet secured into the receiver hitch for stabilization. Soft ties around the fork tubes which attach to a winch (Harbor Freight) mounted so that it folds up from the bed ( to about windshield height). The winch control cable would extend to the left handlebar grip for control as you balance the bike walking up a separate ramp beside the bike. In my younger days this was the way to load dirt bikes. Now with a 600lb bike the winch is a must.....plus , I don't need to fall !! So far, this is all in my head....I have drawn some sketches and I think it can be done for under $500 bucks? If you are interested, I'll keep you posted on progress.

BTW, I like those VStroms...very powerful engine! My bike is more "tractor like" but I've got 94,000 miles on her, she's 2UGLY and she's taken me to CA and back 4 times and Deadhorse, AK and back once!
The Journey Never Ends !
Brenda & Charlie
1990 BMW Paris-Dakar GSPD
1941 Ford Coupe
2014 RPOD 179
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3V8 TV
Outbackdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 10:24pm
4 wheel camper. What do you haul it with? Would have love to have gotten a pickup camper again but fitting in a Dodge Dakota was hard to find. We have had 5 pickup campers over the years, since 1976. Travels th seatle and San Jaun Island, California, Arizona, Dakotas (lived there for 45 years) and the Carolina's now. Wife glade we got the Pod, little more room. Of course last 4 years in the teardrop I built.
176T, Dodge Dakota TV,
South Carolina
Dave,Mary and Olivia(sheltie)
Suzuki V-Strom Adventure,
Custom built TearDrop
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 10:57pm
I haul the Four Wheel in a 1996 Ford CrewCab LongBed 4x4 Powerstroke.  Ordered it in the summer of 95 and have over 200,000 on it.
Getting the Four Wheel was an experience as back when I bought it they had no dealers, factory direct only.  I bought the shell model, no interior so I could do my own.
Long story but Four Wheel shipped 3 of the campers in a 53' container to Columbia, I handled the logistics and a guy from Maine came down to get his and a guy from Florida came up to get his. We split the $2000 freight cost 4 ways with Four Wheel picking up one share.

That 96 Ford has seen many truck campers, had a Sunline, a Palomino popup,  a large Jayco, then the Four Wheel, it has also towed a 25' toy hauler all over including a trip to Moab Utah.  Towed boats, enclosed trailers, car trailer to/from Texas and Maryland, and a 14,400 loaded weight dump trailer that has hauled almost 200 tons of crushed rock to my land in the mountains at 5 tons per 50 mile round trip!
What a workhorse and great truck it has been- I'll probably keep it until it hits the junkyard, a new diesel pickup like it is outrageous nowadays.
2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12