R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Cruise Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle Cruise Control
    Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 2:54pm
Just wanted to take a poll to see how many of you routinely use the cruise control on your tow vehicle when towing the RPOD.

Are there any downsides (in terms of MPG, additional wear and tear, etc.)?
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 4:24pm
i use cruise, i can only assume it helps my mpg, no noted additional wear/tear that i am aware of.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:04pm
We use cruise. Never an issue.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:33pm
I do.  There's the added benefit of automatic grade braking when in tow/haul mode - it downshifts to maintain the set speed on downhills.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:47pm
Just never ever use cruise control if the roads are slick, but of course you know that.   
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 5:49pm
Depends on which vehicle I'm driving and what the terrain is like.
Our Toyota FJ Cruiser has the worst cruise control I've ever experienced.  Many other Toyota owners complain about it too on several different models.
When it downshifts to maintain speed it accelerates beyond the setpoint by 4-5 mph.  Annoying as can be.  Don't understand why Toyota does it this way and why they have ignored owner complaints about it for years.
So I don't use it in hilly terrain as, depending on how close to the speed limit you drive, it could get you a ticket!

My 96 Ford diesel pickup has a really good cruise control, it stays where you set it and if it has to downshift it NEVER goes beyond the set point.

Back in the 70's I used to put my own cruise controls on as they weren't that common then.  They had a vacuum operated servo that pulled on a throttle cable, connected with a bead chain to the carb or throttle body butterfly lever.  One had to install magnets on the drive shaft to measure the speed for the control box. 
They were adjustable and worked much better than Toyota cruise controls 40 years later!

I'd slap one on my Toyota in a second except it doesn't have a place to attach a throttle cable as it is an electric stepping motor that works the throttle and I'm not even sure anyone even still makes them..
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 6:04pm
I experienced the same thing with my Sienna.  While my 'burb will drop 4-5 before it tries to catch up, it does it carefully so it doesn't shoot way past.  I think the difference is the full-size Ford and Chevy platforms are designed for towing from the start so they handle the extra load without panicking.  The Sienna, and probably the FJ, is really just designed for passenger loads.  Add the extra stress and the computer doesn't deal with it right.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 6:46pm
I use cruise as often as possible. BMW x3 135i. No problems.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by techntrek

The Sienna, and probably the FJ, is really just designed for passenger loads.  Add the extra stress and the computer doesn't deal with it right.

It does the same thing even if just the driver, no load, no towing.

What baffles me the most is Toyota hasn't fixed it...all is computer controlled, can't be but just a few bits in the code to change it..but nooooo.
I'm serious it would almost keep me from considering another Toyota.  Had them in the past and they didn't do this.  None of the Hondas/Fords/Chevys/Dodges I've owned or driven for many miles (company cars)  have done this...
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Budward

Originally posted by techntrek

The Sienna, and probably the FJ, is really just designed for passenger loads.  Add the extra stress and the computer doesn't deal with it right.

It does the same thing even if just the driver, no load, no towing.

What baffles me the most is Toyota hasn't fixed it...all is computer controlled, can't be but just a few bits in the code to change it..but nooooo.
I'm serious it would almost keep me from considering another Toyota.  Had them in the past and they didn't do this.  None of the Hondas/Fords/Chevys/Dodges I've owned or driven for many miles (company cars)  have done this...

I agree.  I've argued that the crappy cruise control on the FJ is a recall issue.  It annoys the bejeebers out of me that it will drop 3 gears sometimes when going up even a moderate hill.  You're going along at 70 and the tach is at around say 2200rpm.  All of a sudden the tach goes to 5500 or 6 frigging thousand!  And you're right, it's not about towing.

I mostly don't use cruise control when towing because of this.  Maybe I would in Kansas.  Wouldn't keep me from buying another FJ, but it is the worst cruise control I've ever encountered.

I installed a couple of those DIY cruise controls back in the day.  They worked very well.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>