This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat Dump Station!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Dump Station!
    Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 8:11pm
Check out this wonderfully designed RV dump station at a brand new Love's Travel Stop near Lexington SC.
Doesn't everyone carry a 25 ft dump hose?
Obviously whoever designed this never used one in their lifeWink
Yes the basin around the hose connection was filled with some kind of liquid...didn't want to get close enough to identifyDead

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 1:31pm
Looks like they forgot to pour the sloped bib around the sewer connection.  I agree the location is bad, too, it should be over to the right of the hatch marks.  At least they are attempting to provide one for RVs.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by techntrek

At least they are attempting to provide one for RVs.

Well they are attempting to draw in RVs by advertising they have a dump station, but if it is unusable by probably 95% of us...

I went to check it out as it is close to my home, figured it would be a good place to dump if we ever had to head home without dumping first...but no.
2014 179
Cookpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 8:49pm
We pulled up to a dump station once to find a guy with a rental motor home using the white hose to clear a blockage. Let's just say that he cleared the blockage all at once. We left and found another location but some things you just can't un-see. 
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 9:37pm
Closest dump station to me is 20 miles. If that was down the road from me I'd be thrilled. And deal with it. What do they charge?

I should add that I recently emptied at a park where the basin was full of liquid. It was just after a torrential downpour. I opened the the port and it all drained into the septic. Perhaps it is the same in this image. Hard to tell from this pic.
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 5:54am
The connection should be flush to the bottom of the "pit", but no it is sticking up perhaps 6 inches, which further complicates dumping and prevents proper draining of rain or spillageDead
I have no idea what they charge and assume they don't since there is no signage indicating they do.  I'll stop by again and see if maybe the lid is locked- then you'd have to go inside and find out there was a charge.

As for dealing it with it-   what you can't see is one has to back in along the curb to the right, even if you had a very long hose to access the dump,  there are usually cars parallel parked along that curb much of the time (even though there aren't marked parking spaces there) so you can't get to it anyway.   Maybe carry a 50 ft hoseTongue

At least there is a trash bin to drop your latex gloves in when done.    We camped at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway recently, bear proof trash bins all over the campground- not a one near the dump station.Confused < Hey moderator we need the "head scratching in puzzlement" emoticon!
2014 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Budward

We camped at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway recently

Free hot showers (with the cost of the overnight fee)!  We've tent camped there at least a couple of times and will go out of our way to do so again.  It's more of a stopover place than a destination campground IMO, but hey, it is on the BRP, so what do you expect?  The road is the destination. They have good ranger campfire programs too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:25am
I like Mt Pisgah in the summer as being over 5000 ft it is nice and cool.   I think I've been going there for almost 40 years!

2014 179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 5:22am
I contacted Love's via their online form pointing out the bad design of their dump station and how probably 99% of RV'ers don't carry a hose long enough to use it.
Here is their reply-

Hello, thanks so much for sending us your suggestion. Unfortunately, if the design is not working properly, we truly apologize for the inconvenience. However, We’ll make certain it is passed along accordingly.  We want to know what is important to you and appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to us!

So basically I got a non-answer.   
Anyone want to speculate on if they will ever correct it?
BTW I searched online and in seconds turned up a number of sets of dump station plans and spec sheets, so there should have been no mystery of how to do it right.

Out of 321 Love's locations 130 are advertised as having RV dump stations.  Wonder if they are all designed wrong?

I know I'd be a little bothered if I went out of my way, based on their advertising a RV dump station, only to find it was impossible for the typical RV to use it! 

BTW they have now posted a sign stating their is a $5 charge to use it.

2014 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 8:23am
I suppose it's nice they tried, but I don't know how many Love's dump stations I've passed without even knowing of their existence.  This is kind of like a tree falling in the forest with no one around as far as I'm concerned.  Even if it did make a noise I didn't hear it....

And so far I've never had a dump station emergency.  If I did pull up to something like that hoping to use it I'd either figure out how or go find another dump station somewhere without spending a lot of time worrying about it I hope.

It's good you pointed this out to management.  The response sounds to me like you might have gotten their attention.  The person who writes the responses just isn't the person on the ground who fixes things like that.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>