R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak
    Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:44pm
My 178 leaks from the slideout right hand side bottom corner by the dinette, had it in to the dealer once already for repair but it is still leaking, any suggestions would be helpful. 
CO_PILOT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 12:04pm

What did the dealer [try to] do to "fix" it?  Is the dealer the same one where you bought it? Is the dealer now giving you the cold shoulder?

Tell us more about what's going on.

I'm dealing with a water leak on my RP-178.  I suspect condensate water from the a/c unit is running inside and wetting the rear bed.  

I have found that the caulking up on the roof (where the a/c water is discharged) was poorly done at the factory.  Both the roof wall seals and roof rear spoiler have gaps in the sealant.  Rain water would get in too.

I'm mid-vacation so will try adding caulk myself to plug the obvious gaps until I can take it back to the dealer.

2014 R-Pod 178 -- 2012 Honda Pilot

Roadwise Wisdom for both Bikers and Froggers alike:
http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html
dbbd1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:33pm
We just purchased our 177 and we are dealing with a leak in the same area. So far, the dealer said that it was because the area behind the fridge was not sealed completely/correctly. They sealed it and dried it. It still leaks. I told them that I noticed some water in the window channel at the sink. Now, they said that they have contacted FR 3 times for assistance (???) and have not received a call back yet. This time it has been there 3 weeks so far.
dbbd1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:34pm
I should clarify, our leak is the same as the OP.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 3:24pm
As far as the slide leak, have you checked the position of the seal?

Sometimes I notice when I have my slide out that the rubber seal needs some help to be properly positioned so I just use a finger to pull the gasket out where is should be.  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
dbbd1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 5:30pm
Yup, checked the seal, several times. The moisture comes come a small gap/hole just about under the right, front corner of the fridge, where the interior trim meets the exterior portion of the slide. You can just barely put a finger in it. That is what is so curious. After the dealer "sealed and dried" the vented area behind the fridge, we still had a leak. That area behind the fridge was still dry. That is when I checked the window frame channel (I mean, where else could it be coming from???) and noticed some, but not over-flowing, water on the inside channel.
regdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 6:42pm
Although this seems to be an old topic, we have a leak and would welcome any input. Ours is very specific to exterior conditions.

The leak appears to be with the seal for the slide-out at the forward end (end towards the trailer tongue). Alternatively, it may be from somewhere near where the top and side sealant make contact.

It appears as a puddle of water on the floor between the slide-out and the dining table. Often it can be traced to an area under the right side (forward side) of the fridge - which is coincidentally the same area as the forward seal for the slide-out.

This leak can develop  without the fridge being on so is not likely from condensation.

Specifically, it happens when there is significant rain while the trailer is traveling or when we have strong thunderstorms from the south - which would produce similar conditions as when traveling (the trailer is parked in the storage yard facing south - yes, our storms are typically that strong with 40mph and higher winds). In all cases, the slide-out is drawn in tightly. Actually, we haven't experienced this leak with the slide-out deployed.

The dealership has a long service backlog so I'm saving this for when it goes in at the end of the season (~ early Nov).

But if someone has any experience fixing a leak like this (apparently from the exterior seal) I'd appreciate any advice.

We've logged ~ 10,000 mi this season with our 178 and in all other respects it's great!

- Dave R

Dave & Adele
dbbd1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:28am
You may have described it better but that is exactly where our leak was. We only had a 90 day warranty leaks and seals, is yours longer. If not, you may want them to at least document the leak. Ours had to go in twice, first time, they did not get it fixed. The second, the factory to them to build a "dam" inside (somewhere under the refrig). They built it up with a wood dowel and caulking. It has been fine since. Apparently, some water will get in through the refrig vents, pool, then flow out to where you see it on the floor. The dam keeps it in place until it can evaporate. They also re-sealed the whole refrig area. I am fairly confident in this fix but I am also keeping an eye on the area for rot.
dbbd1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:30am
Sorry for the delay in responding, we were traveling less electronics for a bit.
regdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 12:05pm
Thank you very much!

We haven't had conditions that trigger this leak since early summer but will likely see it again soon!
We've got a dealer warranty for a year so will take this info in with us for our Fall service.

Hmmm - the vents for the fridge - that makes a lot of sense.
I inspect the slide-out seals and they are very tight so I was wondering how it could get through there.
But the conditions when this happens are pretty severe (gotta love the storms in Oklahoma!).
I wonder if a cover over the vents in storage would solve that part of the problem......

Thank you for the reply and information. Hope you had good travels.
Off to a music festival for a few days and hoping the folks in the next site aren't banjo players!

Dave & Adele
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>