R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Susie Q

Dumb question... once I have the tester where do I test and what indication(s) am I looking for?

Test any metal surface that's connected to the frame -- steps, tongue, frame, etc. (I don't know if the door knob would work.)  These little testers glow and or blink and or beep in the presence of voltage.  That's what you're looking for -- any indication of current anywhere it shouldn't be.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ragadas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Beachguysc

I will definitely use this method next time we hook up.  On our August trip, our last stop was at a family members. We got power from a proper outdoor extension cord.  At the end of the trip I was hooking up the trailer and wdh. I got shocking a sensation.  It wasn’t enough to hurt or jolt, but I couldn’t hold on to the bare metal For more than a few seconds.   Nothing was on in the trailer at this time, but we were still connected with the cord.  Our host said he wasn’t Sure if the outlet we used was grounded properly. Are those symptoms of an exterior issue like outlet not grounded? Or is there something within the trailer that would cause this? 

It was either the cord or the outlet that had an open ground. You can get a tester that plugs into outlets (or cords) and tells you if there is an open ground or if the outlet isn't wired properly.
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:38am
I have a tester for 110 outlets. If that showed an open ground at pedastal would that also mean that the 30 amp plug in has an open groung too?
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Pilot

I have a tester for 110 outlets. If that showed an open ground at pedastal would that also mean that the 30 amp plug in has an open groung too?
Either that, or a bad cord between the pedestal and R-pod. Those are the usual culprits. There could also be a wiring problem in the R-pod, but that would hopefully be rare.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:21pm
Just added this to the tool bag we carry in the garage. It measures AC & DC volts, AC & DC amps with a hall-effect non-contact loop for both, ohms, diode checker, continuity test, frequency, capacitance, temperature and low impedance mode. It also has a non-contact voltage probe so you can verify that the hot connector on an outlet is the right one.
bp
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:38pm
Klein tools are top of the line but if you want to save a little money, there is this from Amazon.  Also available at Lowes brick and mortar.  I've been happy with it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICSW4QK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Klein tools are top of the line but if you want to save a little money, there is this from Amazon.  Also available at Lowes brick and mortar.  I've been happy with it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICSW4QK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TT
That's within a buck of what I paid for the Klein.
bp
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:35am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

That's within a buck of what I paid for the Klein.

It has gone way up on Amazon!  I paid $79.95 and now it's what, $114.99!  I imagine that says more about Amazon's pricing strategies than the soaring reputation of this clamp meter!  It does seem to be a very good one though.  And maybe Lowe's hasn't jacked up their price.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:24am
Actually, the higher priced Clamp-Ammeters have a lot of extra features you don't really need for pedestal testing. The $40 version would be perfect for most RV owners to do their own testing. Note ethat it even includes a NCVT (Non Contact Voltage Tester) function which is perfect for a final hot-skin test after plugging into shore power - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HGJAPI0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Mike Sokol
No~Shock~Zone

P.S. I've just started my monthly newsletter on RVtravel about RV Electricity. See http://rvtravel.com/electricity1/ for the first issue. I already have 5,000+ readers signed up for it, so please sign up for my monthly updates, and pass this on to everyone you know who owns or is thinking about purchasing an RV.

Thanks - JMSOKOL
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:47am
If you test ANY part of the RV's frame, you've pretty must tested ALL of it. That's because the entire RV frame and chassis is bonded to practically everything else in the RV. So if you point your NCVT at the wheel or lug nuts that will certainly indicate if there's a hot-skin voltage. Same goes for the tow hitch, propane tanks, door frame, and yes, metal skin.

Also, your tow vehicle is bonded to the RV chassis via the hitch, safety chains, and electrical plug. So if you're connected to an RV which has a hot-skin voltage, then your tow vehicle will also have a hot-skin voltage. Now you see why I don't like the word "hot-skin" which implies it's only the skin of the RV that's energized. In reality, it's the CHASSIS of the RV that's been electrically energized, and everything that's bonded to it (just about everything metal inside of, on, or connected to your RV) will go along for the ride and be electrically energized with a "hot-skin" voltage.

Mike Sokol
No~Shock~Zone 
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>