R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 11:59am
As mentioned earlier in this thread, use the testers ragadas linked to, every time you hook up your pod.  They should be standard equipment from manufacturers and/or dealers.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:35pm
I keep one of these in my electrical tool box. Very simple, and simple to operate.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:44pm
That's one of them, but you must use the non-contact tester for a complete test.  The plug-in tester won't identify every possible error condition.
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:18pm
And here's why. Something I've named an RPBG (Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground) won't be detected by a 3-light outlet tester.

The short version: http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/07/friends-of-gary-mike.html

The long version: http://www.ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:02pm
I just want to confirm how important it is to check this.  After reading this post, you convinced me to buy a non-contact voltage detector and keep it handy in the trailer.  Last week we were at a campground for the first time and after connecting, I checked to see if the trailer frame was hot... and it was.  After checking the outlet at the post I noticed that my plug was not in completely.  Once I pushed the plug in that extra 1/4 inch, the ground was firmly established and all was good.

I just wanted to show that this is important and there's no reason to play with your safety for the sake of a $20 tool!

Thanks to all who are part of these kind of postings.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jprithch2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:01pm
I have one of these that detects high voltage but not low.  Do I really need one that detects low voltage?
jp
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:25pm
Mike Sokol would have to confirm on the voltage range.  I think he has an article on his website about that.

I can confirm I found another dangerous condition on our trip to see the eclipse 2 weeks ago.  No ground connection due to damage on the 30 amp outlet.  Error condition on my outlet tester and at one point a live frame detected with the non-contact tester.  One of several issues I've found now.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 3:33pm
I am now a believer too.  I had an extension cord improperly connected and the non-contact meter showed the problem.  Quick and easy.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Beachguysc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Beachguysc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
I will definitely use this method next time we hook up.  On our August trip, our last stop was at a family members. We got power from a proper outdoor extension cord.  At the end of the trip I was hooking up the trailer and wdh. I got shocking a sensation.  It wasn’t enough to hurt or jolt, but I couldn’t hold on to the bare metal For more than a few seconds.   Nothing was on in the trailer at this time, but we were still connected with the cord.  Our host said he wasn’t Sure if the outlet we used was grounded properly. Are those symptoms of an exterior issue like outlet not grounded? Or is there something within the trailer that would cause this? 
Tim and Melina
2016 182G
2015 GMC Canyon crew cab 4x4 SLT = main Tv
2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid-TV
Susie Q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Susie Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:18am
Dumb question... once I have the tester where do I test and what indication(s) am I looking for?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>