R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:12pm
Another win for Mike!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:15pm
+2. Thanks Mike!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:45am
You're most welcome. My son is a trained pastry chef and I gave him a Fluke NCVT to test kitchen appliances. With all that stainless steel and wet surfaces any broken ground wire can be very dangerous. So he will test every mixer, refrigerator, microwave oven, and hotbox to make sure they don't have voltage on their chassis.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:34pm
This is a very pertinent post. I spent many years in the military, One thing that was a constant issue was troops setting up gear in the field and not using the ground rods with the generator power source. Many troops were injured. An ungrounded power source is a concern. Kudos to this discussion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:46pm
I was at Fort Hood, Texas in the 1980's. We had shelters mounted on Deuce and a Halfs and 5-Ton trucks. We always had ground rods at both the generators and at the shelters. Still though, I could see sparks going between the steps and the ground sometimes. It was apparent that some wiring had worn or something had been mis-wired, causing the vehicle to be hot. Caution is a good thing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Irish Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Irish Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:30pm
My 2015 178 tests hot with a Fluke Meter when plugged into my 110 house circuit.
It tests hot when touching the metal frame of the RV.
I do not feel a shock when touching the same metal.
This is quite disturbing.
What do I do now???

Irish Tom
2015 178
2014 Ford Explorer
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
You have a few options.

1) Stay away from trailer indefinitely...

2) Ask your teenage son to ask his friend to stick his tongue on all exposed metal. I would have gotten my brother to do it. I would have dared him and he would have done it. If you do not have a teenage son...

3) Start doing some logical sleuthing. In my case, it was simply a faulty ground in an extension I was using to the pod. First start working upstream from the pod and test cord and outlet for faulty ground. I use a multimeter.  If everything to the pod tests good, then you need to do some more ground fault sleuthing in the pod system that those here older and wiser can help. 

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:04am
Anytime you measure more than 2 or 3 volts AC between the chassis of your RV and the earth, there's cause for concern. That's because you've lost the connection between the chassis (skin) of the RV and the earth-grounding point at the service panel. Once that happens, then all it needs for a chassis voltage to occur is a leakage current between the 120-volt line and the chassis. Could be a short in a wire. Could be a pinhole leak in a hot water heater element. Could be internal leakage in a microwave or inverter transformer. Once those two things happen, then all it takes is for someone to be standing on wet soil and touch the RV with a damp hand. That's when death by electrocution is a real possibility.

So anytime you measure a voltage or feel a shock it's time to immediately find and correct the cause. Please don't become a statistic.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
3Peas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3Peas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 9:04pm
Ok. I have no idea what you all are talking about...using a circuit tester? on what? What was bent to create a shock? Are you saying, "Don't run around on wet ground while you have your electrical hooked up/plugged in? What went wrong? If you're very careful with your extension cords and keep the connections out of the water, won't you be OK?
3Peas =
(Me + my 2 Camping
Collies in a 178 Pod.)
Knoxville, TN
2011 Honda Pilot
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ragadas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 6:29am
The test unit is this, or similar. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-NCVT-2-Non-Contact-Voltage/dp/B004FXJOQO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1499253653&sr=8-9&keywords=current+meter

Local hardware will have them and sometimes sold in conjunction with a unit that plugs into receptacles to show correct wiring or open ground.

I noticed our dog getting shocked while sniffing around the jack post on our pod. This was with a set-up and power supply that I'd used and tested before. Went and got the tester and sure enough, the pod frame was hot. Traced it to an open ground on my heavy duty extension cord. Fixed the broken wire and all was good.

Edit: All in one package. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002T1BGXI/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>