R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:00am
There's a phenomenon I call a Reflected Hot-Skin condition where a Hot-Skin voltage on one RV in a campground can "Reflect" to others in the same loop. But that can only occur if the campground pedestals have an incorrect ground to begin with.

Here's how it works.... Imagine you you have pedestals hooked up on a common feed from the campground's service panel. This is called a "daisy chain" connection. There will be common hot1, hot2, neutral, and ground wires interconnecting all these pedestals. Since the "ground" wire is supposed to be bonded to the service panels Ground-Neutral-Earth connection, any hot-to-chassis current leakage or short inside of a single RV can only go to this "ground" where it will be drained away or trip the RV's circuit breaker. That's exactly how it's all supposed to work. In a properly grounded system it's impossible for any chassis to develop more than a volt or two potential above earth-ground, no matter what kind of other failure occurs.

Now assume there's a break in this pedestal ground wiring on its way back to the service panel's Ground (G-N-E bonding point). Now if one of the RVs develops a short between line-and-chassis the current will have no path to "ground" and it will electrify the entire ground wire interconnecting all the pedestals and RVs together. So anything with a ground wire plugged into one of these pedestals will have its chassis electrified to 120 volts, creating a Hot-Skin condition.

The really dangerous thing about this mis-wiring condition is that because the voltage is feeding into your RV from the ground wire, even shutting off the pedestal or RV circuit breaker can't stop it. And there's no EMS products on the market that can disconnect you from this hot-ground since electrical code does not allow the manufacturer to put a relay contact in the path of the ground wire (officially called the EGC for Equipment Grounding Conductor). However, the EMS will detect the hot-ground condition and shut off your RV's live voltage. So it will appear that you have no AC power from your EMS, while in reality your RV's ground is the only thing electrified.

I've only heard of perhaps half a dozen campgrounds with this non-grounded EGC problem, which allowed a Reflected Hot Skin Condition to occur. While this is a very rare problem, it's still something to be aware of and can easily be detected with a NCVT at any time. If you ever feel a tingle, stop what you're doing and immediately test for a hot-skin voltage. If you do measure one, disconnect from shore power until the problem is resolved.

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 8:18am
Do we keep a list of problem campgrounds? Should we?
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by jmsokol

There's a phenomenon I call a Reflected Hot-Skin condition where a Hot-Skin voltage on one RV in a campground can "Reflect" to others in the same loop. But that can only occur if the campground pedestals have an incorrect ground to begin with.

Here's how it works.... Imagine you you have pedestals hooked up on a common feed from the campground's service panel. This is called a "daisy chain" connection. There will be common hot1, hot2, neutral, and ground wires interconnecting all these pedestals. Since the "ground" wire is supposed to be bonded to the service panels Ground-Neutral-Earth connection, any hot-to-chassis current leakage or short inside of a single RV can only go to this "ground" where it will be drained away or trip the RV's circuit breaker. That's exactly how it's all supposed to work. In a properly grounded system it's impossible for any chassis to develop more than a volt or two potential above earth-ground, no matter what kind of other failure occurs.

Now assume there's a break in this pedestal ground wiring on its way back to the service panel's Ground (G-N-E bonding point). Now if one of the RVs develops a short between line-and-chassis the current will have no path to "ground" and it will electrify the entire ground wire interconnecting all the pedestals and RVs together. So anything with a ground wire plugged into one of these pedestals will have its chassis electrified to 120 volts, creating a Hot-Skin condition.

The really dangerous thing about this mis-wiring condition is that because the voltage is feeding into your RV from the ground wire, even shutting off the pedestal or RV circuit breaker can't stop it. And there's no EMS products on the market that can disconnect you from this hot-ground since electrical code does not allow the manufacturer to put a relay contact in the path of the ground wire (officially called the EGC for Equipment Grounding Conductor). However, the EMS will detect the hot-ground condition and shut off your RV's live voltage. So it will appear that you have no AC power from your EMS, while in reality your RV's ground is the only thing electrified.

I've only heard of perhaps half a dozen campgrounds with this non-grounded EGC problem, which allowed a Reflected Hot Skin Condition to occur. While this is a very rare problem, it's still something to be aware of and can easily be detected with a NCVT at any time. If you ever feel a tingle, stop what you're doing and immediately test for a hot-skin voltage. If you do measure one, disconnect from shore power until the problem is resolved.

Thant's an interesting situation, Jim. So I'll need to be watchful. For that condition I suppose one of those 3 light testers would show if the campground had an open ground. Also something like the progressive Industries EMSHW30C would have detected the open ground situation and have disconnected.

I wonder if an RV with reverse polarity bootleg ground (RPBG) wired outlet can affect other RVs connected to the same campground. It seems that the CG's properly wired ground would cause the faulty RV's hot ground line to trip a breaker somewhere. But maybe not since the ground line doesn't have a breaker on it. Yet the faulty RV had better have a circuit breaker on its hot line, which is now connected to CG's ground.

So a related question is this:

Can a single RPBG-wired outlet affect other properly wired outlets within the same RV or other RVs connected via a campground electrical system?
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Thant's an interesting situation, Jim. So I'll need to be watchful. For that condition I suppose one of those 3 light testers would show if the campground had an open ground. Also something like the progressive Industries EMSHW30C would have detected the open ground situation and have disconnected.

I wonder if an RV with reverse polarity bootleg ground (RPBG) wired outlet can affect other RVs connected to the same campground. It seems that the CG's properly wired ground would cause the faulty RV's hot ground line to trip a breaker somewhere. But maybe not since the ground line doesn't have a breaker on it. Yet the faulty RV had better have a circuit breaker on its hot line, which is now connected to CG's ground.

Can a single RPBG-wired outlet affect other properly wired outlets within the same RV or other RVs connected via a campground electrical system?

Actually my name is Mike not Jim. The JM in JMSOKOL is for John Michael, which only grade school nuns and cops call me. Hah!

To answer your question, an RPBG in an RV CANNOT cause hot skin voltage in any other RVs in a campground as long as the campground wiring is properly grounded. In the case of an open ground path to the service panel Neutral-Ground bond, a 3-light tester will indicate an open ground, but it won't tell you the ground is Hot.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Rustler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by jmsokol

Actually my name is Mike not Jim. The JM in JMSOKOL is for John Michael, which only grade school nuns and cops call me. Hah!

To answer your question, an RPBG in an RV CANNOT cause hot skin voltage in any other RVs in a campground as long as the campground wiring is properly grounded. In the case of an open ground path to the service panel Neutral-Ground bond, a 3-light tester will indicate an open ground, but it won't tell you the ground is Hot.

Mike Sokol

Thanks, Mike. So to wrap my brain around the issue is this the recommended procedure?
  1. Use a 3-light tester to detect open ground (or other issues) at home or campground outlet.
  2. Use NCVT to check outlet terminals for correct wiring.
  3. Use something like a Progressive Industries EMSHW30C to detect and protect against other hazardous conditions. 
Is item 1 unnecessary if 2 and 3 are employed?

If a single outlet is wired with RPBG, but other outlets are wired correctly (say at home or in an RV), could that situation go undetected without a circuit breaker tripping?

Thanks so much for your patience in helping those of us a bit electrically challenged!
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 9:39pm
Don't forget to use the NCVT on the chassis.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:00am

Thanks, Mike. So to wrap my brain around the issue is this the recommended procedure?
  1. Use a 3-light tester to detect open ground (or other issues) at home or campground outlet.
  2. Use NCVT to check outlet terminals for correct wiring.
  3. Use something like a Progressive Industries EMSHW30C to detect and protect against other hazardous conditions. 
Is item 1 unnecessary if 2 and 3 are employed?

If a single outlet is wired with RPBG, but other outlets are wired correctly (say at home or in an RV), could that situation go undetected without a circuit breaker tripping?

Thanks so much for your patience in helping those of us a bit electrically challenged!

I would still use a 3-light tester as the first check of the outlet. If it won't pass that simple test, then don't plug in. Then use an NCVT to detect a hot-ground from a RPBG. And having a EMS in the circuit will protect you from over-voltage conditions. After plugging in your RV's shore power line, do a final test with a NCVT to confirm that you don't have a break in the EGC ground conductor of any extension cords of internal chassis-ground bonds inside your RV. This entire test sequence should only take a minute or two at most.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 8:00am
You're only as safe as what you plug into. Read this email I received from another reader below.

Mike Sokol

We were at a function where the power for the Rv was supplied by them via a 100 amp 3phase construction type temporary power box with multiple 20 amp plugs and some larger plugs I plugged in the Rv and all was good a second trailer plugged in and it was fine when the third trailer plugged in the lights and ac would almost shut off and then become extremely bright I went to see what the problem was and found the cord feeding the construction power box was arcing at the connection to the building I pushed it back into the plugin and the surging stopped the next morning I noticed the fridge had stopped working so I plugged it in to the other receptacle on my power cord it instantly electrified the trailer and almost killed our dogs and injured my wife it turns out the fridge electric heating element blew up and welded itself to the fridge I had the trailer checked by a certified master electrician and he said there is nothing wrong with the wiring or my power cord the construction power box label clearly states that all 20amp plugs are gfi protected why did this happen? Would the power surges cause the element to self destruct? The other 2 trailers also suffered damage 2. 30 amp breakers the microwave  and the cooling fan for the inverter  thanx

mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Bugout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bugout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:24pm
I read this thread thread the day all 16 pages.Today I was called out to put a50 amp outlet in for a food truck job went fine did the rcvt test no problems then I went inside to talk to the owner since I had rcvt in hand I ran it over metal in the truck and found the outside of the icebox was hot. It came down to a home made extension cord. If not for this thread I would never thought of this. Thanks guy.the owner of the thanks you to

Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:33pm
Glad I was able to help. Just about every electrician and technician has a Non Contact Voltage Tester, but most of them don't realize how great they are at finding a hot-chassis condition from a broken ground connection, many times caused by a mis-wired or broken extension cord. 

Let's play safe out there...
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>