Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaryland Eastern Shore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posted: 16 May 2014 at 6:00pm
I grew up in Maryland, sailed away (literally) in my late twenties and now keep returning in my sixties. There is something, everything, about The Bay and Maryland that keeps bringing me back. Now, with my R-Pod.

This week we spent a few days in Tuckahoe State Park: http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/eastern/tuckahoe.aspx

They built this park just for us!! At least that's the way it felt with the five or so other campers occupying the 58 available sites. Camping during the week has its advantages. We chose the non electric loop - site 39. It's probably the most private site in the park, although they are all well spaced with thick growth between.

Adjacent to the park is Adkins Arboretumhttp://www.adkinsarboretum.org/

The arboretum is a beautiful 400 acre preserve

It's a short drive to the arboretum from your campsite, or you can take a bit more adventurous bike ride through some gorgeous woods and wildlife.

This was a nine mile round trip ride and a bit exciting at times!

The Adkins Arboretum was just icing on the cake for us. Our primary reason for picking Tuckahoe State Park is its proximity to St. Michael's, Maryland. I mentioned before that I grew up in Maryland. Much of that youth was spent sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and St. Michael's was always at the top of my list of favorite anchorages. Tuckahoe State Park is a 30 minute drive northeast of St. Michael's.

The Town That Fooled The British

During the war of 1812, the British took aim on St. Michael's one night, intent on destroying the town and shipbuilding facilities. They did very little damage as the townsfolk had dimmed their lights and hung lanterns in the trees beyond the town. The Brits overshot the town!

The shipbuilding heritage of St. Michael's is alive and well at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. This is an absolute must stop if you are anywhere within a day's drive. Do plan on spending a full day at the museum. 

Simply Messing About with Boats

Of course, ship building is one part of St. Michael's heritage. The museum explores and has wonderful exhibits of the bountiful seafood industry on the Bay. Although not the thriving industry it once was, you could easily still get into a barroom brawl debating the kingship of the blue crab, oyster or rockfish! In the picture below, Miss Mary (a professional crab picker) told me she averaged 65-75 pounds of crabmeat a day picking for The Maryland Crab Company right there on the grounds of the museum. If you are a crab picker like me, you are impressed!

The Crab may be king, but Miss Mary is the Queen!

After the museum or take a lunch break and visit The Crab Claw restaurant adjacent to the museum or wander over to the Crab and SteakHouse. We had appetizers of steamers and St. Michael's Ale at The Crab Claw and then had dinner of Mighty Mikes Rockfish bites and fried oysters. Oh, and some more St. Michael's Ale. It's a bit too early for crab. Good crab.

While in St. Michael's and just for old time's sake, I visited the St. Michael's Marina and got a rate card. They don't allow anchoring in the harbor anymore. I'm glad I have the Pod, as the minimum nightly fee to tie your boat up is $128.00/night plus electric. More on the weekend. And it is a bit crowded.

Another great trip with the Pod. What fun! The pod performed perfectly and Tuckahoe State Park was better than we had anticipated.

One last picture. You probably noticed in the first picture of St. Michael's above, tied to the face dock of the museum are the visiting ships the Nina and Pinta.

Happy Podding!

fred

P.S. I forgot to add...Pod Sighting!! We drove the electric loop of the park as we were leaving in a driving rainstorm. I mentioned before there were only five or so campers. One of them was a R-Pod; all buttoned up in the rain with and older green Jeep TV. We tapped our horn. If that was you, that was us on the horn! Smile

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 8:19pm
St. Michaels is great.  Too touristy for my tastes but in a much nicer way than most tourist places.  I like Harrison's out on Tilghman, and my favorite is Oxford because I've had family there, at least off and on for a long time.  I have people in Eastern Shore cemeteries going way back and my great-grandfather was a renowned shipbuilder in Oxford and Sharptown in the early to mid-1900's.  I was just in Easton and Oxford last month.  Stayed at the Tidewater Inn and had the best crab cakes in Maryland, ergo the world, at the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford.  Never been to the parks you mention, but will check them out at the next opportunity.

Thanks for the pictures and the memories.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:03pm
That's quite a heritage you have, TT. The Eastern Shore is a special place. Having grown up in Balto. County (Glen Arm) and then Annapolis, the Eastern Shore always seemed like a different country. A beautiful one, but different. I guess that's why they call Maryland America in Miniture.

I have to disagree with you though. My 88 year old mother makes the best crab cakes in the world. And I make the best crab omelets! Tongue

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:40pm
As a resident of Balto. Co. most of my life, I'll have to check out that area some time.  I've passed close by on 50 on my way to the coast many times, and we've camped in and explored Rock Hall several times, but not there.

I've made the offer many times before - I have a 30 amp hookup and water available from my driveway, anyone is welcome to spend a night or three.  Dump available via my septic cleanout.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 8:56am
Great pictures!! We both grew up on Cape Cod so we have that same draw back to the ocean!!
Crab cakes and crab omelets sound amazing!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 6:35pm
I won't argue about your mother's crab cakes.  My mom made some killer ones too.  She'd be 91 this year...

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply