Topic Closed2015 R-Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 R-Pod 179
    Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:11pm
One thing to note is that we usually only carry probably 5 gallons in our water tank while we are towing. Also the wind conditions can really vary your miles per gallon. We usually travel at a steady 55-65, usually not in a rush. We only use the one battery, so we haven't done a lot that has increased the weight of the trailer.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
R-PodKids View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:48pm
All good to know.  Thank you!
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 2:05pm

The quick answer is yes your vehicles will be able to tow the trailer but if you want my honest opinion, the both of you will quickly find out that towing the 179 will put a lot of strain on your vehicles with that towing capacity.  I have the 179 and the dry weight with all the options from Forest River puts the weight at 2,800 pounds plus another 150 pounds or so for a single battery and a full propane tank.  Then you need to add in all the gear that you put in your exterior storage compartment as well any camping stuff you pack inside like food, drinks, clothes, camping gear, etc.  You will be easily at 3,500 pounds and then some if you pack light for one to two people.  This doesn't even take into consideration any water you fill in your storage tanks, etc.    

Personally I wouldn't tow a larger RPOD unless you have at least a 5,000 pounds towing capacity that has a built in factory towing package and transmission cooler.  Even then I will say I know I am towing my 179 especially when it is a windy day or even going up any type of incline.  The RPM's in my vehicle typically are 2 - 3 towing on level roads but as soon I go up a hill towing the 179 my 2013 Ford Explorer strains and automatically shoots up to 4 RPM's until the road levels out.  Just my two cents worth.
bcskimiller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 12:55am
rascarlrv, what kind of gas mileage do you get?  So far I've gotten around 10.5 and that's at 60mph everywhere.

I see the same thing with my 2013 Explorer 4wd & 178.  The towing requirements for the Explorer say anything over 2K need to have WD, and I can see a difference in ride characteristics with & without (even in short jaunts around the neighborhood).  I have also have the sway control and on my first real road trip I ended up in a borderline wind advisory on a narrow construction laden 2 lane road with heavy truck traffic...I got pushed around alot but never had "sway" problems.  I was even down to 50 mph because roads were that bad.  That being said, on the way back down the hill, I screwed up one of the pins and didn't have the sway control for 400 miles of that two lane and interstate and didn't notice, but we also didn't have the same winds or traffic; I agree with others, especially with as "little" of a TV you have: WD & sway.
Me, the Wife, 3 Kids 5 and under...its Crowded!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:30am

Currently I don't have a WD set up on my explorer but I do have built in Trailer Sway Control by Ford.  For the most part my trips are relatively short one way under 150 miles on relatively flat roads (Wisconsin) so my gas mileage is better around 15 mpg.  The true test of how it will tow will be when I travel to the 2014 Forest River International FROG Camping Rally in Goshen, Indiana this August.

bcskimiller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:18pm

Just a note on the "Built in Sway Control" by Ford (or any other manufacturer), it will only work after your trailer is getting blown around and is "out of control".  Then the computer applies the car's breaks to compensate for the motion that is being imparted on it by the trailer.  A friction "sway control" device on the hitch works by using friction to prevent your trailer from getting blown side to side in the first place and thus keeping your entire rig in a safer condition.  At that point, if your TV's sway control kicks in, you know it would have been even worse since it already overcame the friction on your hitch.

There are several different types of hitches out there, even ones like an "Equalizer" WD & Sway that doesn’t have separate chains, just two bars, pretty slick.  Many of our smaller TVs like the Explorer etc require the WD to spread the load out evenly across the frame; heck when I have the car loaded down it starts to squat even without the trailer.  And as far as "max tow capacity", don’t forget to look at your Max Payload, Gross Combined Weight Rating, etc.  When I am loaded with my wife, kid, dog and some personal items, my trailer weight can only be ~4000lbs, not anywhere close to the 5000 lb max capacity the Explorer claims.  There are lots of good web pages with "max tow calculators", it's worth checking into.  If you have transmission, axle seals, suspension etc etc go out while towing over the "max limits", Ford or Lexus or whoever are smart enough to say "you should have read the manual..."  Not trying to preach, I spent hours and hours researching and learning what it all meant so just trying to pass on the knowledge.

Cheers,
Bobby
Me, the Wife, 3 Kids 5 and under...its Crowded!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
vacationwhileyoucan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:18pm
With an f150 there is absolutely no way you need a wdh to pull an rpod. I used to own a 2003 f150 with a 5.4 and it towed great. I pulled our 179 with our 08 F150 5.4 and couldn't even feel it through the mountain passes in Oregon and even with 35mph winds on i5. Good luck guys! I would add quality rear shocks and keep weight over the axles. 
2008 Ford F150 Supercrew 5.4 V8
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
Volant Ram Cold Air Intake
3.73 Gears with Limited Slip

2015 R Pod 179 Hood River Edition
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 11:25pm
We just returned from a 1500 mile round trip with a 1998 f 150 4x4, 4.6 v8 w/manual transmission towing a 178. Most of the trip had to be in 4th, not overdrive, and the mileage was only 12.5 mpg. I think I'd benefit from a bigger engine and automatic transmission.

That said, the trailer towed great and no problem without a WDT. It sat damn near level when loaded. I did add a sway control bar on the trailer and recommend them to everyone. This 2 wheel trailer is much more skittish than the tandems I've pulled. It does make some noise when you're turning and I released the pressure when backing up.

Oddpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:12am
We just bought our Rpod 176 in March, 1st time owners and I've never trailered before this.  I'm trying to learn the acronyms and lingo.  We trailer the Rpod with a 2005 Honda Pilot with factory installed hitch package, and at times it can get swaying back and forth on the short trips we've taken.  We have no sway control, just a standard hitch.  What does WD stand for and do you find sway control bars really help make the ride feel less unstable.  It's a bit unnerving when it gets swaying as trucks or winds push you around.

Larry, Erin, Lindsay, Caitlyn and Jules the lab
R pod 176
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:19pm
It seems this topic never seems to be definitively answered. I might suggest that some of the "Whiz Kids" who are active on this forum write a definitive answer to this perplexing concern. Safety is at issue here, and possibly a MUST READ note might be added for all new campers. I think it should address not only flat road travel, but for some, steep and long climbs up and down mountains, as well as large trucks passing, with the possible problems. Too much info is passed on here without all of the towing parameters being discussed. As we now seem to have and electrical advocate onboard, possibly a towing advocate might also be searched for. My two cents. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>