R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo who is a counter laminate expert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: So who is a counter laminate expert?
    Posted: 10 May 2014 at 6:10am
I posted elsewhere that we found some sort of water damage to our kitchen counter laminate substrate.
I've already contacted the dealer to order a complete new counter as that is the only fix.  They cautioned that it will probably take FR months to supply oneCry

So-   since the crummy particle/wafer/whatever board they use to glue the laminate to will be the same in the new counter-and could happen again-I have an idea-

Would it be possible to remove the counter, soak the laminate swelling it all up and essentially crumbling it, then scrape it all off to reuse the laminate on a proper substrate that won't do this again if it ever somehow got wet?   I'm thinking marine plywood.
Anyone ever try something like that?

Here is a pic of what we found after buying the camper- this damage was not there when we got it home but appeared later- we still haven't determined exactly how this happened since it hasn't been rained on or washed in the 10 days we owned it before we found the damage-  notice swelling along the left side and the complete disintegration on the right with severe swelling upward>

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 6:46am
Theoretically you should be able to do that.  Not sure if it's practical or could be done in a way to be permanent or good looking enough though.  I've seen laminate being put on to custom cabinetry before but not recycled in the way you mentioned above.  Also not sure where to source it since the arrival of large box stores such as Home Depot that order pre-fabs you just cut to size.  However most of the patterns you see are available so the faux marble one that FR uses should be available if you can find a source.

-T

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:31am
I don't believe an attempt to recycle the laminate would be successful and question if it would take as long for FR to send out a replacement counter top.  You may want to telephone FR direct and ask them about delivery time.  I would think that they would have pre-fabricated tops on hand since you have a current model pod.

If you do decide to fabricate your own, stop at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards or any other chain that might be in your area.  They carry a very limited selection in stock, but usually they have a large number of samples that are free for the asking, and if you find the right pattern, they can special order it for you.  My last order arrived at the local Home Depot in just a few days.

Most of the laminate at these stores is manufactured by Wilsonart, although some are manufactured by Formica.  Visit their online sites and you might be able to find the exact same pattern used by FR. Or, if you call FR, perhaps they can give you the pattern number.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:38am
Here is another thought about the laminate.  The last time I fabricated a counter top for a travel trailer,  there was a minimum order requirement and I had enough laminate left over that I replaced the laminate panel on the door of the refrigerator so it would match the counter and table tops.  The door panel is held in place only by the edge trim pieces which are easily removed and then replaced.  This is a matter of preference, and I personally like the wood grain panel that comes with the pods, but, to each his own.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:41am
I know one member ordered a new uncut counter top, I think it took a couple weeks to get to his house from FR. I would go to lowes or HD and find a color I like and build a new one. You don't need marine grade plywood, just good ply, sealed properly. I would agree it seems very odd if the pod is otherwise dry...

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:45am
Sorry to hear about and see the damage on a new pod. I had a similar, though not nearly as severe, problem on my 2013 pod. The edge trim on the dinette table separated and I had to re-glue it. If you decide to replace the counter yourself you may want to look at this source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laminate-Lightweight-Waterproof-Custom-RV-Marine-Dinette-Table-Top-G-Coffee-/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270913675184

I ordered a custom table top from these folks, built to my dimensions, for a dinette upgrade in my Camplite. The core appears to be a composite sandwich, not particle board. It's lighter than particle board or plywood but may contain cardboard so you should consult with the vendor directly regarding water tolerance. I think if you really sealed the exposed edges when you cut the openings for the sink and stove you should be OK. The finished thickness of the table is 1.25". The laminate color should be easy to match since everything in RVs comes from Elkhart, IN anyway. I was able to perfectly match my existing table laminate in the Camplite.

Best of luck to you. I hope it works out.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 1:20pm
Bud,I wouldn't bother saving the old laminate it is not worth the trouble. The problem with those counters is the edging, it is just a friction fit with no sealant, any water on the counter will find it's way to the edge and soak in, therein lies the problem. I never liked the dark laminate and wanted to brighten up the inside of our pod. I used 3/4" birch plywood put an oak edge on it, put on almond laminate and beveled the top edge. I did the same with the table and the counter back splash.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 7:34pm
I agree with marwayne.  DIY laminating is actually fairly easy and you can use plywood as a base which makes the definable product lighter than the particle board used in the pods.  I am tempted, but haven't yet redone my interior surfaces- the counter top and table top.  I have several pieces of camping gear that are laminated, including two boxes that make a outdoor kitchen with a laminated counter, a shelf over the pod fender and another box for storage with a laminate lid. Laminate from the big box stores comes in ~ 4x8 sheets and the cement is a rubber based contact cement. The material cuts with a saw and edges with a router or file.  The job is a nice DIY project.  Walt

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:21am
I've done laminate application in the past.    I was just trying to save the existing so it matches the table..
I think I'll have the dealer obtain the replacement counter- if I get tired of waiting I'll just do it myself.  If I can find a match-great- if not..oh well.
BTW I looked at using Corian-  WOW! $400+- a sheet...I don't think so.

I have encountered problems with lack of factory sealing in the past and FR is no better.
Word to the wise-  pull your stove top off and see if they left unsealed HOLES in the corners of the counter where they mounted the stove.
See pic below.
 Boil something over on the stove, or have a spill and you too can be the proud owner of a swollen countertop.
 I found these and sealed them in the first few days of ownership. In fact I lifted the stove and caulked the entire perimeter, which is the small amount of sealant in the pic, then I went and filled the holes after the pic was taken.  I've had to do this to several RVs in the past.

BTW the damage to the counter that this thread was about was not evident when I sealed the stove top.

My current theory is maybe the faucet assembly was swiveled over out of the sink, the faucet was open, when during PDI,  the dealer attached the hose and turned on the water, thereby flooding the countertop.  It takes awhile for the swelling to set in, hence the reason we didn't detect it until after a week had passed.   And like someone mentioned they did not caulk the edge trim, just the perimeter of the counter....
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:30pm
  The table top in our Vibe weighed 65 Lbs. I replaced it with 3/4" birch plywood, top and leg with hinge weighs 25 lbs. its stronger will not easily sag or be damaged by water. We replaced the kitchen counter top with the same, did all this when we first brought it home new from the dealer. It makes no sense why they use particle board, its heavy, sags and is easily damaged by water. Sorry to hear of your problem and hope you are able to get it repaired without to much trouble. Myself I would not bother with replacing it with the same particle board, use some plywood and if possible Baltic birch.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>