Topic ClosedBlow-overs - Event Date: 29 Apr 2014 - 01 Jun 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Blow-overs
    Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 1:31pm
Just had a friend pulling a 34 ft 5th wheel with a Ford F350 get blown over on I70 just outside of Limon,CO. Which got me to wondering if anyone has had such a catastrophic event happen to an RPod? One doesn't worry about those things until it happens to someone you know!
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 1:42pm
if it's occurred i can't say i've ever seen a post about it.  sorry to hear that happened to a friend of yours. hope they are all doing well after the event.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:12pm
Be fore warned. This is not a pretty picture. No people, but lots of podestruction. I know nothing of the circumstances, although I could guess it may have fell off a delivery truck or a tornado or such. Sorta looks like tornado geography. Nevertheless...it can happen.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:20pm
Given the lack of personal effects within the Pod destruction itself, I'm gonna guess it happened during factory transport.  Poor little Pod.

Mental note ... pull over and wait out any really bad side-wind storms!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:22pm
Yeah P&M, that was my guess too. I am shopping for a nice portable weather radio though. Just this past camping weekend we had no cell/internet service and was caught off guard a bit with some very cold and windy weather.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:29pm
I have seen reports, and a few pictures of many RV's blown over. Couple years ago after the Airstream Int'l up in Montana (I think), a couple owners got blown over or off the road on the way home.

As far as the linked podstruction.. it has a license plate.. and I note a dish towel over a drawer pull... but not a whole lot else like sheets, sleeping bags, dishes, etc etc... possibly new owners who got "caught out" as they say.
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the personal thoughts! Yes, they and their dogs are o.k. The truck is driveable and they returned home to the mtns of CO minus the brand new 5th wheel. Brand new truck bed now is rather "v" shaped on the side where the 5th wheel rolled over.
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 5:16pm
    R-pods have some advantage in that there is not a lot of side surface compared to most campers for the wind to push against. And the wheels being on the outside give it a little more stability. But accidents can happen the pictures are a reminder how bad it could be. Hope know one ever has to experience that and we all have many safe trips.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:10pm
The Pod was obviously being towed when wrecked.As others have stated. It was licensed, & ibyers on 6/25/12 shows the tongue of the Pod with WDH drop down brackets installed on the tongue and bent WDH bars leaning up against the wreck. The straps are used by the tow truck to help keep the wreck together on the back of the flat bed wrecker. Personal effects were probably scavenged by the owner/driver before the wreck was towed.

This is exactly how things went down for me on the summer of 1997 in the Columbia River gorge--1997 Ford f150, 1994 20' Layton TT, WDH, sway control, hungus wind gusts as we crested the rise before the river and headed down into the gorge. The trailer initially swerved towards the 200' or so drop into the gorge and then slammed into the rock wall on the other side. No major injuries, but totaled truck and trailer.

I thought that I had detailed this on this site before, but if not, then somewhere else online. Don't kid yourself, under the right (wrong) conditions no WDH and sway control is gonna save your bacon. As a matter of fact, in the last 17 or so years since my accident. I've used a WDH, but no sway control. But I have paid close attention to making sure that my tow rig and trailers were a good match, my hitch weight and height were where they should be, and I never load heavy behind the trailer's axles. Keep in mind that it's a sway control, not a sway cure. If you had any sway problems before you installed your sway control, then it's still there, just pushed back in the corner waiting to bite you on the butt under those right (wrong) conditions. I don't want anyone to have to go through what we did.

By the way, the new Pod replacement tows nicely, and gets about 2 mpg less than the pod did. The wife is happy, so I'm happy, even though podless. I'll probably drift away from this site, as most have done when they sell their pods, so good luck to all and tow carefully.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Kickstart

By the way, the new Pod replacement tows nicely, and gets about 2 mpg less than the pod did. The wife is happy, so I'm happy, even though podless. I'll probably drift away from this site, as most have done when they sell their pods, so good luck to all and tow carefully.

You don't have to drift away....they won't kick you out. And you'll have a hard time finding another forum as helpful and welcoming as this one. I am helping set one up for the Campites, and it's beginning to work, but it's not yet like this one. But then we don't yet have the user base the Pods have and we don't have Doug (yet). So before you leave consider: your experience is still valuable, particularly to newbies. And we like to hear the experiences of others who have "moved on".
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>