R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJeep towing discussion from Intro > Pics thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep towing discussion from Intro > Pics thread
    Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:08pm
Looks awesome!! We plan to do most of our trips with our Dodge Durango but once in a while I would like to take our Jeep. My biggest dissapointmant was when the dealer confirmed that our model (2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara) has a towing capacity of a measly 2,000 lbs. vs other exact same vehicle with a different axle ratio. The service manager did confirm that as long as I "take it easy" I should not have any problems at all. The other dissapointment is that when we bought our jeep back in 2012 the salesman assured us the Sahara model towing limit was 3,500 lbs. Oh well. The positive is we are picking up our 182g in2 weeks!! And guess what, it's a 2015 model. Whatever that means, it was still built in 2014. Will post some pictures when we adventure out in southern British Columbia!!
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 4:35pm
are you SURE your Unlimited Sahara has a 3.21 axle?  I thought all Saharas had the 3.73 which mine also has (2009 JKU Sahara).  Do you have a manual or auto?  I'm pretty sure all JKU Sahara autos have 3.73.  The Jeep is adequate for towing the rpod but not spectacular.  We didn't sell our Jeep because I couldn't part with it - so now it's a fun car.  You might want to run your VIN through a VIN-checker website or have Jeep send you your build sheet to confirm that you have 3.21.

I would recommend against towing the rpod if you have 3.21 - your tranny will get really hot and you also will have zero pulling power off the line.  Not to mention that if you get in an accident your insurance will not cover you since you were pulling way over your limit - despite what your service manager told you.
Chukar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 5:39pm
Mine is automatic. This is the ironic part. My manual states 3.73 and 3,500 lbs for my particular model. The service manager told me this was a typo from Jeep and that they received a letter from Chrysler stating this. The manual should have said 3.21 and 2,000 lbs. I am thinking of going back to the dealer I bought it from and demand a replacement or my money back. This should be an interesting topic if it ever reached the media and there are thousands of jeep owners with the same issue.
Kermit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:25pm
On the topic of gear ratios. Starting with 2012 models, the rubicon package does not guarantee the 4.10 axle ratio. Have re-geared several at work with 3.21 gears. A lot of people don't realize this and question why the jeeps feel so underpowered with the addition of only one to two size larger tires over stock.
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
m6805 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:31pm
Your Jeep tow capacity is directly related to you rear differential gears.

If you have a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end your tow capacity is usually
3500 lbs
If you have 3.23/3.21 rear end your tow capacity is usually limited to
2000 ibs, or less.
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:42am
I didn't trust the dealer's knowledge so before I bought I ran the VIN through this website : http://www.compnine.com/vid.php 

It's not free, but it will give you a very detailed build sheet for your exact Jeep.

If you don't have 3.73 gears as the manual states you should, I would ask to see a copy of that letter that you mentioned, and then, ask for a refund.

You bought the Jeep with the intent to tow 3,500 lbs and were told that your purchase could do that.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123