R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJeep towing discussion from Intro > Pics thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep towing discussion from Intro > Pics thread
    Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 1:30pm
I'm finding that towing the 177 with my new used 2011 Tundra 4.7 L engine with the tow package is a night and day improvement over towing with my old 2002 4-Runner with a 3.4 L and a tow package.  I can cruise at 65 in wind without breaking 2000 rpms.  Gas mileage is the same or better with the Tundra.
Chukar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 2:52pm
Thanks for all the great advise. One thing I do not understand is why is it unsafe to tow with a lower rated vehicle. If it has a brake controller and you drive in a safe manner wouldn't the unsafe part be only related to causing damage to the engine or transmission?
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 3:40pm
Short and light tow vehicles get out of shape quickly.  A cross wind or even a truck going in the other direction can get you swerving and over.  Drive train is only a part of the reason for ratings.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 4:09pm
Chukar , the weight of the vehicle, it's overall wheelbase, it's receiver overhang (distance from rear axle to tow ball), and mass, are very important for safe towing.

Manufacturers are really only taking their best guess for safe towing. Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable towing max tow weight with my vehicle, or any vehicle. It's not just about the mechanical strength of the engine, tranny, and drivetrain (think about how strong the rear suspension and frame/unit body construction must be when adding tongue weight).

A nice safe estimate is not to tow more than half the tow vehicle max rating. BUT, that doesn't mean it isn't safe to tow up to it, it really depends on trailer dynamics, including trailer brake setup, gross weight, tongue weight and axle weight distribution.

If someone tows way more than their recommended tow limit, then it doesn't take much to make it unstable even at lower speeds.

But, in Europe, they ignore all that I think. I have seen pictures of some small economy cars with HUGE campers being pulled it's hilarious and scary.
Chukar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 4:33pm
Thanks very much Toolmanjohn. This is where it gets confusing for me. I have a 2012 4 door Jeep Sahara Unlimited with a Pentestar 285 horse engine. My Jeeps weight and size is the same as the same Jeep that can tow 3,500 lbs but because of the axle ratio difference mine is only rated to tow 2,000 lbs. Why would my jeep be unsafe to drive vs the other Jeep. And also both jeeps have the same tongue weight capacity.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Chukar

Thanks very much Toolmanjohn. This is where it gets confusing for me. I have a 2012 4 door Jeep Sahara Unlimited with a Pentestar 285 horse engine. My Jeeps weight and size is the same as the same Jeep that can tow 3,500 lbs but because of the axle ratio difference mine is only rated to tow 2,000 lbs. Why would my jeep be unsafe to drive vs the other Jeep. And also both jeeps have the same tongue weight capacity.

If the axle ratio is different , that may be enough of a mechanical stress that Chrysler decided not to risk warranty work. Sounds like you should talk to a knowledgeable service person (not a sales person, they almost always know the least about a vehicles tow capability). But if it is in your owners manual, I would trust what it says. Maybe a Jeep forum might be of some help in finding the exact reason for the tow difference between the two.

I found this link on a Jeep forum . It's the pdf specifications for the 2012 model years. They ALL have a 2000 pound tow limit. I don't know why the 2014 has a higher tow rating.. Is it the engine, transmission, or axle ratios??

http://www.jeeppr.com/jeep/pdf/2012_JP_Wrangler_Specs.pdf
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:38am
Go to www.rubiconownersforum.com. Lots of good info there. My Wrangler Unlimited has the Rubicon package. Which gives me 4.10-1 axle ratios. With the larger tires that I put on the Jeep, I kinda wish that it had 4.56-1 ratios. That said, in '06 all 2 door Unlimited Wranglers had 3500 lb. tow rating.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:43am
The reason that I tow our Pod with a Wrangler Unlimited? You ever try to go off road trail riding in a Sienna minivan? We enjoy a different lifestyle than the "normal" camping enthusiast. Even a pickup truck isn't going to be comfortable on the trails that we travel on. The Pod doesn't go on anything beyond graded gravel roads.
If this wouldn't work out, the next step would be a motorhome to tow the Wrangler....   
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
2014 RP178
THEDragonTJH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Hairy Podders

The reason that I tow our Pod with a Wrangler Unlimited? You ever try to go off road trail riding in a Sienna minivan? We enjoy a different lifestyle than the "normal" camping enthusiast. Even a pickup truck isn't going to be comfortable on the trails that we travel on. The Pod doesn't go on anything beyond graded gravel roads.
If this wouldn't work out, the next step would be a motorhome to tow the Wrangler....   

This is me too, the purchase of the Pod was a direct result of getting the Jeep and getting involved in wheeling. Without my Jeep I wouldn't have need for the Pod.
I am pretty comfortable towing mine with my Jeep, I haven't taken on any mountain passes yet, but that might come this year. Take it a little slower than normal and you're fine. I also tend to do Highway driving rather than interstate,added bonus is it makes for a more interesting trip too.
JeepeR-Pod
'14 R-Pod 172
Jared & Jenny
Teagan, Ruby (Kids), Ozzie, Louie and Stella (Dogs)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:52pm
We are going to test the towing ability(not capacity) of our Jeep this summer. We are headed to Colorado for 2 weeks. I don't feel the need to be the first one to the summit of Monarch Pass. Or Wolf Creek Pass. Or any of the other passes that we will cross. Though my buddy with his '82 Jeep Scrambler towing a '74 Scotty camper & I are gonna "dragrace" to the top of Monarch. Its gonna be a slow race.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
2014 RP178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>