This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 179 in SC!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 179 in SC!
    Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:25pm
Picking up our new 179 tomorrow in SC! 
Will be towing with a 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.  Currently tow an Aliner Ranger with it.

I'm getting very close to retirement and we plan to hit the road with the r-pod/FJ combo when I do finally pull the work plug.

Have used the 2012 Aliner only a few times although one of those times was a 19 day 6000 mile round trip from SC to the Rockies where we explored off road with the FJ.  Had a great time, it was my 4th or 5th trip out there.

Decided to upfit a little but still keep it light so as not to run the fuel bill too high, averaged about 15mpg on the road with the FJ towing the ALiner, figured it might do 12 with the r-pod.
We'll see.

Just the wife and I and two dogs 99%of the time, so we don't need or want a huge RV.  Many of the places I like to camp are more rustic and a larger unit just can't get in there.  

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
Wonderful to hear about your pickup.  Congratulations on the 179.

Will be excited to see how you like it once you've had some time to get to know it, but welcome to the group and the community.  A lot of great fun to be had here amongst Podders!
Kermit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:01pm
Another sc'er! We pick up our 182g about a two months ago.
'14 182g
Towed by various Jeeps
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:19pm
Welcome to the group!!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CasaJack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 9:43am
Welcome Budward and happy R-pod traveling.  I recommend you have the dealer install an on off battery switch next to the batteries so you don't have to disconnect the cables when you are not using the trailer.
Jackdaddy
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:45am
I probably will install a cut off switch*, no dealer needed though as I have always done higher quality work on my RVs than any dealer and cheaper as my labor is freeSmile

I typically run Battery Tender brand maintainers when stored instead of depending on the WFCO convertor/chargers installed in the pod.
A couple of reasons for this-
 1st> the Battery Tender uses far less electricity running 24 hours a day than the WFCO.
2nd> the WFCO convertors have a very bad reputation for failing, already had that experience in another RV.  A failed WFCO can leave your expensive batteries in either a state of undercharge or worse, cook them from an overcharge when left long term. 
3rd> IF the Battery Tender was to fail it is small enough to not overcharge most batteries.   I run two Group 31 AGM batteries, so long life is important as that is almost $400 worth of batteries!

* I usually use a 50 amp commercial rated DC circuit breaker which is also used as the cutoff switch, rather than just a switch.
 Post Reply Post Reply