R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear stabilizers on Rpod 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear stabilizers on Rpod 178
    Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:38pm
I have an Rpod 178 and I was wondering if anyone has installed removable stabilizers on their Rpod or is aware of any solutions to prevent them from touching the ground when driving up certain slopes?

I have trouble backing into my driveway with my rear stabilizers installed because they come in contact with the ground.  The stabilizers are not easy to remove. I"m aware of saveajack.com but are there other solutions out there?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:30am
Do you have the axle risers installed?  They lift the whole pod about 4" and help a lot with that problem.  They are relatively inexpensive and easy.  But there are slopes and there are slopes.  If it's just your driveway, you might be able to put down a board or two at the junction of the road and your driveway to give the pod a little lift at that critical point.

I have heard of removable stabilizers but I don't know where to find them. I'm sure someone else will chime in. If you don't have the risers though, I'd sure look into getting them.  They will help everywhere you go.

Another thought.  The stabilizers are only attached for convenience.  You can take them off and stow them until needed.  They don't ever need to be bolted or welded on at all, though ease of use and convenience are significant factors for having them attached.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 7:53am
Tars,

Thanks for the response.  I do have the axle risers installed.  I have also tried using lock pins to aid in connecting and removing the stabilizers.  It hasn't saved much time because the stabilizers are difficult to reconnect because you must align and place a square piece of metal that sits between the stabilizer arms.

I like the saveajack solution but it seems I will to do some metal cutting to remove the base of my existing jacks that are welded on to the frame.  I don't have the tools to do that so I was wondering if there were other options.

I may try laying the boards down as you suggested.  Thanks.

Cody
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:31am
I used a Dremel tool and cut off wheel to cut the weld when removing my smashed stabilizer.  It took about five minutes.  It was more of a tack than a structural weld.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:20am
Find a friend with a 41/2 inch grinder takes less than 5 min, or pay a shop to cut them off. The save a jack is a bolt on deal.

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:25pm
I would take them off and not worry about reattaching them.  Just hold them in place as you crank them up, once there is pressure they'll stay until you take them down again.

Our early model pod did not come with front stabilizers so I've always used jack stands.  Makes the pod rock solid.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I would take them off and not worry about reattaching them.  Just hold them in place as you crank them up, once there is pressure they'll stay until you take them down again.

Our early model pod did not come with front stabilizers so I've always used jack stands.  Makes the pod rock solid.

Doug,

Thanks for the idea.  I'll give that a try.

Cody
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:02pm
They do make a quick detach attachment..

http://stores.saveajack.com/
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 10:55pm
There are other considerations for this, but it ought to raise your rear end if you were to lower the ball on your hitch by an inch or two.  Just an idea...

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

There are other considerations for this, but it ought to raise your rear end if you were to lower the ball on your hitch by an inch or two.  Just an idea...

TT

Yea. I thought about that but I was concerned it may adversely affect the pitch and thus affect the road handling when I'm driving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>