R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStablizers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stablizers
    Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 8:41pm
Buffalo Gals, I tow with a Chevy Trailblazer that has a little longer wheelbase than your t.v. I use a simple friction antisway bar and have never had a problem. I have towed 100 miles on the interstate with no antisway with no ill effects. I know there is a lot of info flying around about wdh type hitches etc, but you might try towing locally at low speeds to see how it handles. take little steps and see what you need to do.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 9:10pm
Last spring we towed our 2010 173 over 6000 miles driving from Florida to the west coast and back, towing with our 2010 Santa Fe, as I described in my post above.  Even with a sway control and WDH the cross winds in NM proved stressful.  Our 2010 Santa Fe had a tow rating of 3500 pounds.  When we returned, I upgraded to my 8 cylinder truck and a new 178.

I did a little research on the 2004 Santa Fe and noted that the 4 cylinder model has a tow capacity of only 1200 pounds, while the 6 cylinder,, depending on model and transmission, is rated either 2300 or 2800 pounds, which is much less than the 2010 I used as my tow vehicle.

If you can tell us which engine your Santa Fe has, perhaps we can give you some more meaningful advice.  A big concern now is whether or not you have the towing capacity for your pod, but regardless, based on my experience and the lower towing capacity of your Santa Fe, I do not hesitate in recommending both the sway control and a WDH.  More importantly, I would check the rated towing capacity of your Santa Fe.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 12:25pm
I would look at wheelbase, before making a decision on whether you need a WDH. My Wrangler Unlimited has a wheelbase of 104". After towing a popup that weighed about 1200lbs loaded, for years without WDH or sway control. Then going to a WDH/sway control towing a 2700 lb camper, I find the heavier trailer easier/more comfortable to tow than the popup was. I can relax more.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
BUFFALO GALS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 1:19pm

Thanks sleepless - - -

My Santa Fe is rated for 2800 lbs.
HAPPY AND SAFE TRAVELS
CHASER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12