R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGood Sam Roadside Assistance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Sam Roadside Assistance
    Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 11:31am
We have coverage with Good Sam. We are happy with it -used their services once and it was a good experience. We were towing our R Pod and broke down on the interstate in an isolated part of Tennessee. Luckily, we were in cell phone range and our call was promptly answered. After sevveral back and forth calls determining location, service needs, a wrecker was sent to rescue us. In less than a hour from our original call, our tv was loaded onto a flat bed roll back and the pod was hitched to the back of the roll back unit.  the driver took us to a nice state park campground where we dropped off the pod.  We loaded our bicycles on the wrecker and took our tv to the local dealer.  The driver unloaded our tv , we made the repair arrangements with the dealer and rode our bikes back to the park where we camped for the next 3 days.

I think the service was great-the operator was efficient and did exactly what she said she would do, the tow unit handled both the tv and pod. the driver was professional and very careful of our tv and pod-he was also very helpful with local information and getting us set up at a nice campground.  the operator  made the service appointment for us.  We were never charged anything other than our normal yearly cost.  Overall, I was happy with Good Sam and will continue to buy their plan.

Vann Evans
2009 R Pod 173

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 7:37am
I've had all three - Good Sam's, Coach Net and CAA (Canadian Automobile Association).  There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

Good Sam was the sketchiest for me.  At the time (about 4 years ago), there were unanswered questions about what they would cover (and dollar limits) outside the lower-48.  Some of their literature said $1500/yr, while their call centre said there were no limits - it was frustrating and I never did get a clear answer.  What I disliked the most was they would tow only to the nearest approved facility.  Not to my dealership, not to my driveway (assuming, of course, that I was a reasonable distance away from either).  That said, I only used them once (keys locked in vehicle) and it was a good experience.

CoachNet is definitely focused on RVs - and specifically coaches.  Coverage includes family members (who live with you).  They have help lines where you can find campgrounds and reliable service depots and RV information lines staffed by licensed RV technicians; CoachNet is about far more than roadside - they're about the whole RV ownership experience.  I liked them, but I really don't need/use the level of hand-holding they offer.

CAA (specifically, CAA RV+) is my favourite.  They're the only one who also covered any vehicle I may be driving, including my motorcycle.  They offer two-tow-truck extraction if necessary.  And they tow to anywhere I want (within 400km). I see vehicles with member stickers all the time, and I see tow trucks from their affiliates all the time; both give me some confidence that they're trusted and will be around when I need them.  Apart from various hotel/motel discounts and attraction ticket discounts, I also get a 20% discount on my RV insurance through them; they even had the best price for plane tickets to Orlando.  Over the years, I've used them for key lock-outs (many, many times), for flatbed motorcycle towing (several times), changing a flat tire (it was on a 8-lane highway, it was raining, and I was in a suit), battery boosts, pulling my trailer out of a mud pit, and so on.  They cost about $20 more than I'd like to pay... and that's why I tried out the other two providers... but, I've always been happy with their service, so I came back to them.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:58pm
I can't remember all of the particulars but I researched this a lot last yr. and dropped Good Sam and went with Coach Net.  I still have AAA for my TV but had just bought it so may go with Coach Net this go 'round.  I haven't had to use Good Sam or Coach Net so can't speak to that.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:59pm
we have good sam and are very happy with it.  we broke down at a campground last year and our TV had to be put on a flatbed and towed out to be repaired.  they were very helpful and friendly on the phone.

i like that it covers our vehicles also when not towing which is a nice benefit.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 7:13pm
Good question. I have been pondering whether or not to buy additional towing insurance for the Pod. Our TV is approaching 10 years with about 87000 miles. We are starting a new season and for the age of my TV now might be a good time to get additional RV towing insurance. I have been with AAA for many years. For total of $179 annually I get full services for our car as well as towing for both up to 100 miles. I can't fathom being stuck when the car hiccups in the middle of nowhere and I call for a tow, and can only have the car towed. Not sure either I or my wife wants to stay with the trailer by the highway. Glad you brought this up. Just added the Plus to my AAA card. Feeling better already. Thanks for a most timely question. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 5:49pm
There are a lot of folks on here that use Good Sam and love it. I would suggest to check with your insurance company, whomever you have your Pod insured through. Mine includes all of that in it as part of my overall policy. Also, if you have AAA they offer a rider for RV's / Trailers that covers the same. Unsure of the pricing on it, but others here in the forum use them as well.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 5:34pm
I was wondering what people thought of the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan?  The price seems reasonable - $80 a year - and they will tow or fix a tire, etc.  Do you recommend it - or think it's not necessary?  Just curious.
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply