R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleeping Capacity of a 176T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping Capacity of a 176T
    Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:03pm
Good evening everyone. My wife and I are looking at buying a new 176T R-Pod. We wanted to know if it would be possible to sleep two adults and five kids in it. We know it's going to be cozy but we like the camper and our mini van can tow it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:44pm
well you get 2 bunks a RV queen , and the dinette, which is near RV queen size if I remember.. + floor space if needed.. so technically you could.. but.. I hope everybody is happy friendly and strong bladdered..

also, if you use the dome, that is a 8x10 room.. I can say for sure a cot or two does just fine out there. We have done it a few times for various reasons.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 1:22am
"Cozy".  Yes, it would be cozy.  This is one of those things that is probably technically doable, but that is probably not a great idea.  It would help if at least the kids are very small.  And sleeping is one thing.  Moving about inside, just getting ready for bed -- forget about a rainy day stuck inside -- would be a major challenge.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 7:51am
Definitely will be tight at night and morning when camping, and also in the evening when touring and you aren't stopped at a campground.  We have 4 total in our 171, which isn't a problem most of the time camping - we are all outside (even in the rain) until bed time.  When on a touring trip and we are at a truck stop for the night it is a real ballet dance while everyone is bouncing around making dinner, etc.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 9:25pm
We own a 176T and absolutely love it. It is great for us (2 adults, an 11 year old and a 4 year old); however, I cannot imagine three more people in there. We are former tent campers, and love the coziness of the R-Pod, but it is cozy. The bunks are not twin size, but cot size (half as wide as a queen bed), so you might be able to squeeze two into a bed if the kids are under 6, but not much beyond that. As far as the dinette goes, bear in mind that the tent bed overlaps it slightly. You should probably plan on seeing it in person to judge how many people it would sleep. Two adults would probably be unhappy.

As a prior post mentioned, you could definitely consider using the R-Dome as a tent for additional sleeping, but bear in mind that it is not a full tent - it doesn't have a floor. Make sure you consider the following:
1. on the R-Pod side, there is a screen you attach in the space between the R-Pod and the ground. This part isn't solid like a tent, meaning that critters/bugs might find their way in. We've never had that happen, and I did sleep there with a croup-y kid one night, but I will admit that I was on alert for 4-legged visitors.
2. There is no floor. See concerns above. However, we just bought a nice indoor-outdoor carpet (see RV supply websites for details, but you can find them at home improvement stores, etc.) and now that room seems really comfortable.
3. We use the R-Dome as our living room, with one cot as a "backless couch" for the kids, two folding ccamp chairs, a table, lights, etc. You COULD put three cots there, but that would pretty much take up all the space. I have also seen a bunk bed cot: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cam-o-bunk-extra-large/72841 which might work well. Hey, if getting the top bunk is going to be hotly contested, this will give you two top bunks - one inside and one outside!
4. apparently some campgrounds have a "no tent on a site with an RV" rule. Although it cannot possibly be set up separately, some consider the R-Dome to be a "tent" and will not be able to be used. If it's critical to your setup, you'll just need to be careful about this.

My advice is to consider how you envision laying things out during the day on a sunny day when you're out and about, on a rainy afternoon when you all want to be "at home" and also at night. Then consider how much time it would take you to switch from day to night, and whether you have space to accomodate the early risers and the late risers at the same time. If in envisioning all of these scenarios and transitions, you have a smile on your face, then it just might work. Really, only you will be able to decide.

I STRONLY recommend that you find an R-Pod dealer with a 176T in stock, make an appointment to see it with the tent open, and bring the WHOLE gang to spend time in it.

Best of luck in your decision - I hope this info helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply