R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsunbeam convection/microwave oven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: sunbeam convection/microwave oven
    Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 6:35pm
Here goes my first question on my new to me 2010 RP171. The Sunbeam oven came with only a metal plate. I read where some came with both. If a person needs a glass plate where do you get one for an outdated oven? The instructions don't address the need for a glass plate yet states to only use strips of tin foil to protect chicken wings. I hope there is another 2010 RP171 owner out there that can help. It states to much metal will ruin the microwave...I'm perplexed
Ron
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 11:40pm
Does your microwave have a "spaghetti" button?

Is the convection heat element on the top, or bottom?

Does the metal plate have legs, or does it sit down low?

If you have no spaghetti button, element down very low, and a metal tray without legs, then your microwave is designed to not use a glass tray, just use the metal one. It will be fine.

Norsk1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 12:20am
The metal plate sits on a square post and rotates over a heating element. I'll check tomorrow about the spaghetti button. Thanks for the response.
Ron

PS-Winter has returned for today. Lucky I didn't remove the cover.
Norsk1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:10pm
The snow has melted and once again this afternoon looks like Spring. There is no spaghetti button so I'm home free. It gives me faith in the previous owner. All the manuals were in a folder along with the clearance light upgrade and the condition of the trailer as if it had not been used very much. Thank you for your help.
Ron
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by furpod

Does your microwave have a "spaghetti" button?

Is the convection heat element on the top, or bottom?

Does the metal plate have legs, or does it sit down low?

If you have no spaghetti button, element down very low, and a metal tray without legs, then your microwave is designed to not use a glass tray, just use the metal one. It will be fine.

Thank you furpod our Advent microwave has all the above and the temperature settings are in celsius which I do not understand. I miss our Sylvania microwave that came with our r-pod. So if we use the microwave function we need to remove the metal tray and the metal tray is for convection only? It has a manual but it is difficult to understand. Its going to take time to figure it out so we can use it, the Chinese did not make it very American user friendly.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:51pm
If your microwave metal plate has a "drive" interface under it.. ie: it spins, then it is to be used in the microwave at all times, and when in convection mode. If it has "legs" and no drive interface, then you *should* have a glass plate to use in MW mode.

People get a little thrown by the "metal" plate in a microwave.. I could go into the science, but am to lazy today. Metal in a microwave is not always a bad thing, after all, the inside of the microwave cabinet is made of... metal. It has to do with edges, reflective angle, and wavelength.

I agree many manuals seem to be poorly translated...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 3:33pm
   It has the metal plate with legs no drive and it has the separate glass plate with drive. And the manual identify's the metal plate as a baking plate but there is no mentioning of how it is to be used if it is to be removed at times or if it is to be left in. If we use the convection for a frozen pizza we do not know if the metal plate or glass plate should be used. Maybe it makes no difference I think it will take getting used to with time trial and error.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:15pm
    I figured out the math looking at our thermometer. If we want to bake something at 400 degrees F we multiply 400 by .38 and that would give us our temperature in celsius approx. 152 degrees F. Is that correct? Thank you I'm not the smartest when it comes to learning.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Norsk1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:30pm
D&D,
I'm like you when it comes to figuring out F to C and the reverse. My wife finds the US measurement system harder than the metric system she was raised with. To keep us both happy we have a thermometer in both scales so we don't have to think as much. She also has her metric scale. Google a conversion chart on the computer. I found one that went well into the cooking range.
Ron
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 5:26pm
In microwave mode D&D, you will use the glass plate. In convection mode, use the metal plate. remove which ever you are not needing.

Edit: also, keep a "microwave safe" plate in the pod if you like microwave popcorn. Place the plate upside down on the microwave turntable and then place the bag on top of that plate. Again it has to do with wavelength of the microwaves and the design of the wave receptors in the bag, but you will have MUCH better success (and popcorn) with this method.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>