R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch on Volvo XC90

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
320 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch on Volvo XC90
    Posted: 23 May 2014 at 8:35pm
we hadn't put very many miles on lately.

we just did a 300 mile junket in what is hilly terrain for us.

pulled easier with the Volvo than with the truck and got 17mph at a 60+ mph average.

thought you might be interested.
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 7:31pm
Wow, I never imagined that I could tow the R-Pod with the XC70. Although you have a 2013 model and mine is a 2009 so there could be a difference there. Either way, I only have the four-pin and won't change over since I have the XC90 to pull with anyway...but very interesting to know regardless.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
320 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 4:41pm
it is a dealer installed hitch package for north america, part #s are 31346065 and 313407107.
those include hitch, towbar and control module. the control module changes the shift points and traction dynamics under load per the service techs.

the dealer and my previous hitch vendor had no idea as to how the brakes could be wired using volvo's wiring and software.

a guy towing with a cayenne suggested the prodigy rf controller...it works.

we had to pull some of the extra stuff we carried, but after that it (171) tows and stops just fine.
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by freezingalaskan

I am joining this discussion a bit late, so I apologize...

I tow my 172 with a 2013 Volvo XC90 3.2 6 cyl with the original Volvo hitch. I am very pleased how the vehicle handles. No sway bar or weight distribution installed. My guess is that my total towing weight is around 3000-3200 pounds with it loaded with water and gear, but not entirely sure. At least I know I am well below 5000 pound limit.

I always shift gears manually and never really engage the sixth gear. I also anticipate hilly terrain by gaining momentum if possible and I rather keep rpms up than too low. I don't experience soft rear springs, but that might change with age/usage. I use a wireless brake controller which is great because should something happen to my car I can always just hook up another vehicle and still have brakes....

Regarding the XC70....do you actually tow an rPod with that one? If so, what hitch did you install to get the seven pin hitch? I have an XC70 as well original Volvo factory hitch with only the four pin. Tounge weight rating is too low for the rPod, and total towing weight is only rated at 3500 pounds....plus the four pin does not accommodate the trailer brake, etc. Can you tell me more please? Could an XC70 actually pull an rPod with different hitch?

freezingalaskan

Freezingalaskan,

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the XC90.  I have a 2007 XC90 3.2L 6 cylinder.  I've only hitched it to my R178 twice but I barely notice it's behind me.  That's with and without an Equalizer WDH (600/6000).  I haven't weighed the setup yet but it seems to work fine.  I'm also using an aftermarket HiddenHitch (5000lb) and the Curt Relflex brake controller.  Rear springs do not seem soft at all. Attaching the hitch barely affects the pitch.

Cody
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 1:40pm
I am joining this discussion a bit late, so I apologize...

I tow my 172 with a 2013 Volvo XC90 3.2 6 cyl with the original Volvo hitch. I am very pleased how the vehicle handles. No sway bar or weight distribution installed. My guess is that my total towing weight is around 3000-3200 pounds with it loaded with water and gear, but not entirely sure. At least I know I am well below 5000 pound limit.

I always shift gears manually and never really engage the sixth gear. I also anticipate hilly terrain by gaining momentum if possible and I rather keep rpms up than too low. I don't experience soft rear springs, but that might change with age/usage. I use a wireless brake controller which is great because should something happen to my car I can always just hook up another vehicle and still have brakes....

Regarding the XC70....do you actually tow an rPod with that one? If so, what hitch did you install to get the seven pin hitch? I have an XC70 as well original Volvo factory hitch with only the four pin. Tounge weight rating is too low for the rPod, and total towing weight is only rated at 3500 pounds....plus the four pin does not accommodate the trailer brake, etc. Can you tell me more please? Could an XC70 actually pull an rPod with different hitch?

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
320 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:16pm
you should check with volvo before you do much...

i have a 2013 xc70.
it requires a software pkg to tow anything of any consequence.
it requires a circuit pack to allow the lights to work.
it requires a USA 7/4 pin light socket
it requires a non-traditional brake controller (i'm using a prodigy rf). european RVs use a "surge" brake.

and finally my vehicle has a sealed cooling system. volvo's response to cooling questions got the response..if you tow in spec you should have no problems. under gvw and under 50mph are my specs.

i traded a 3/4 ton truck for this car. i have more hp and almost as much torque. however it's still a car not a truck and your xc90 suffers from the same deficit. though that being said, the truck couldn't do 130mph.

your original guestion was will a vehicle with 14" hitch height work...yes, with correct drawbar.

the wdh could very well be a good investment. to get the ride they do the xc90's springs are soft. i did meet a fellow who added some sort of "air assist" to keep his xc90's tail up.

good luck!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 7:16pm
The company confirmed to me years ago that you can use one that is rated heavier than you need, so I purchased the 600/6000 model in case I moved to a heavier camper in the future.  Others have since done the same.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 7:08pm
Because that's what most of the Podders on the two forums were using and my dealer recommended it too. The 400/4000 is not too common. Neither Amazon nor E-trailer carry it. And I knew I was going to load up the tongue with two batteries, two propane tanks, and other things such as the spare tire. The 600/6000 served well with the Pod and I was able to transfer it over to my new rig, although it is getting close to its limit now.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

The trunnion version is slightly more capable, especially in sway control, and does provide more ground clearance under the bars. That said, the round bars are totally adequate for the RPODs, are cheaper, and are used by most podders.  The trunnion models were the first version made by Equal-i-zer; the E2 is a lower cost version distributed by FastWay. I'd recommend the round bar E2 600/6000 for you. Amazon, Etrailer, and others carry them.

Charlie,

Just curious why you picked a 600/6000 sized hitch versus the 400/4000?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:55pm

Just paid for something similar to the Scangauge, yesterday:  http://aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

I'm most interested in tracking the transmission slip and lockup status, I can already see the tranny temp on the dash display.  This also has a useful feature where you can force the cooling fans on even if the computer doesn't think you need them.  I could have used that last summer.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>