Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cody91 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 178 vs 179
    Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by outermostpod

Hi Cody91 - we also have a young (8) son and my wife and I in our pod.  We have a 178 - new last fall. They didn't have the 179 at the time but I think we probably would have still chosen the 178.  We really liked the U-shaped dinette, and that was the primary reason we went with the 178 over one of the slightly smaller models.  Not sure how you plan to set yours up - but we installed a curtain on a sliding rail across the front of the queen bed area - our son sleeps there - and then he can go to bed before us and we can stay up w/o disturbing him.  Basically that area acts as his own bedroom. He even hangs out in there when he needs some quiet time to himself during the day.  He has his own TV/DVD player and privacy  - giving us privacy as well. We sleep on the converted dinette, and with two people the larger size of that bed with the 178 was very important.  I'm sure some would disagree with giving the "kid" the real bed - but it works for us.  We got a featherbed thingy from Bed Bath & Beyond to put over the dinette cushions for our bed and it actually is quite comfortable.  With the 178 you basically get 2 short queen beds of the same size.

I would probably help to see the inside of a 179 first and visualize how you might use the space. 

hope that helps!

Thanks for the response.  That sounds like a great idea.  I may end up doing that if I get a 178.

Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:33pm
The 178 is slightly larger than our 177; but except for the booth/queen bed, the basic floor plan is the same. We went to an RV show this past weekend and went into the new 179. The kitchen is in the back and the door is on the side at the back where the kitchen is located. Personally, the set-up would make me claustrophobic. You should definitely spend some time in both - they have a very different feel from each other, no matter what extra storage you might gain with the 179. Take it from someone who has had 4 brand new campers since 2009 and had many buyer regrets in the process, you don't want to make a mistake on this one.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:59am
I have the Rpod 179 on order. The reason I went with the 179 vs the 178 is I didn't need the extra sitting or sleeping space. I like the ottomans for putting my feet up to watch tv, etc when the weather is bad. Plus my prior rv was an Aframe so I wanted the extra inside storage and kitchen space. Lastly I like the new outside look of the 179 vs the other pod models. For your family of 3, either model will work but if you are looking for a bit more separation in terms of sleeping space I would go with the 178.
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:25am
Kymoose,

Thanks for sharing that.  You can say we are new to trailer life but we did camp a lot as kids (tents, popups, RVs, etc.)  I actually wanted an Aliner but the Rpod was a compromise with my wifeSmile.

I could take or leave the Rdome. 

I was reading the facebook site and one of the posts referenced the sofa/bed on the R179.  It said there was an issue with how the pillows formed into a bed on the R179.  Do you know anything about that?
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:12am
Hi Cody91 - we also have a young (8) son and my wife and I in our pod.  We have a 178 - new last fall. They didn't have the 179 at the time but I think we probably would have still chosen the 178.  We really liked the U-shaped dinette, and that was the primary reason we went with the 178 over one of the slightly smaller models.  Not sure how you plan to set yours up - but we installed a curtain on a sliding rail across the front of the queen bed area - our son sleeps there - and then he can go to bed before us and we can stay up w/o disturbing him.  Basically that area acts as his own bedroom. He even hangs out in there when he needs some quiet time to himself during the day.  He has his own TV/DVD player and privacy  - giving us privacy as well. We sleep on the converted dinette, and with two people the larger size of that bed with the 178 was very important.  I'm sure some would disagree with giving the "kid" the real bed - but it works for us.  We got a featherbed thingy from Bed Bath & Beyond to put over the dinette cushions for our bed and it actually is quite comfortable.  With the 178 you basically get 2 short queen beds of the same size.

I would probably help to see the inside of a 179 first and visualize how you might use the space. 

hope that helps!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 10:53am
well my DW and i were prepared to trade in our 181g for the very first 179 that rolled out of the plant back in December.

we went to our dealer as soon as it left the Louisville RV show.  turns out we didn't ourselves like the 179 as much in person.

if you happen to be on facebook there are lots of owners there who have 178's and quite a few now who have on order or have bought 179's.  lot of good opinions and thoughts on them there as well.

are you folks new to trailer life in general, previous tent campers?

a lot of us choose the model that fits us best on how we camp.  i love the outdoor cooking and cleaning capabilities of the garage models.  and then you'll have those who still love the feel of a tent and will lean towards the hybrid tent models.

have you all decided if you'll want the rdome option or not?  

you're in a good area for some rallies and campouts once you decide on a Pod that will be the perfect one for you, there are lots of folks in the areas surrounding you.
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:34am
Kymoose - We live in VA.  From what I understand a few 179 have arrived here.  I just need to schedule some time to see one.  Thanks for the info on the new 178.  It seems the model I saw was an early run 2014 because it didn't have a solar hookup or outside speakers.

I'm thinking I will be happy with either model.  I just wanted to gain some extra insight on the differences from folks who have one or have seen these models up close.

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:05am
what part of the world you in cody?  there aren't a lot of 179's on the lots right now.  first production runs are and have been leaving and being delivered the past few weeks and a lot of those are going straight to new owners.  so it might take a while.

i can understand why you dealer wants to push the 178 on you.  they want it off their lot.  there are few updated features with this years production run pods that you'd maybe prefer over the 178 that they have there.

a NEW 178 would be wired up for a solar panel, it would have a different faucet with a spray nozzle, outside speakers, shades instead of blinds, also will have a sheet of diamond plating material on the front side, and they should all be switched over to LED lighting also this year.  

so depending on how old the 178 is on his lot it may or may not have all of these additional features that rolled out into production at different times last year.  

most of those things are cosmetic at most but nice additions.
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:59am
Thanks for the response Kymoose.  I saw the inside of the 178 earlier this week.  The dealer seems to be pushing me to purchase it because it's already on his lot.:-)  I'm looking around for a 179 I can take a peek at.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:56am
179 more storage room overall for everyone's stuff, more room to cook in if you plan to cook inside.

178 my PERSONAL opinion, the dinette is a better eating inside or family inside area, and again a PERSONAL opinion but i think the floorplan flows better overall.

are you planning to buy without seeing either of them in person?  cause i would highly recommend you get inside of both of them and see how they feel to you.  it really is interesting to see how a floorplan feels once you're inside of it.

but they are basically the same thing, just a choice between a couch area versus a dinette.  and then the 179 having way more storage inside of it and the bigger kitchen.

if you don't plan to cook meals inside the 179's kitchen would be pretty much a null point.

also what will you be towing with?

good luck with your deciding.  there are tons of pics of the most every pod including the 179 along with youtube videos and countless opinions on them.  this year i've seen a lot of 178 owners say they prefer the layout of their 178 over the 179.  people who don't already have an Rpod say they like the 179 because of the big kitchen and storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>