Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP-179 Profile
    Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by cody91

Charlie,

Thanks for the response.  Yea, I'm starting to realize that most campers aren't very aerodynamic.  It just seems there would be a really great market for well equipped campers that were also very streamlined, if someone decided to build and sell them.

For now, I guess it's fine that the Rpods just look cool.:-)

Actually there have been some attempts, the Evergreen Element, the F.R. Aviators, are some of the latest, that are not folding or collapsing systems, like the hi-lo, trail manor, and others.

Honestly, the market wasn't/isn't there. The shape means for expensive tooling and materials, and the high dollar TT market is pretty much owned by the same company for the last +80 years.

A recent new comer, which I hope to see soon is the "Alto" out of Canada, but again, it's an 18-20 footer in the $30K range. Rarefied air when you can get a 171 new off the lot for near a third of that.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by cody91

Charlie,

Thanks for the response.  Yea, I'm starting to realize that most campers aren't very aerodynamic.  It just seems there would be a really great market for well equipped campers that were also very streamlined, if someone decided to build and sell them.

For now, I guess it's fine that the Rpods just look cool.:-)

Areodynamics in trailers is like hydrodynamics in boats To get a lots of room you have to sacrafice areodynamics or hydrodynamics. to get good flow around the trailer they would have to look like an airplane long and thin and the pointier at the ends the better. Boats are the same the scow or the barge gives you the best displacement or, load carrying capacity, but takes more energy to move it though the water. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
We just bought our 2014 178 in late October so it went right into storage for the winter. Then we saw the 2014 179 and was amazed at all the storage and the larger kitchen. Kinda wish we had waited! We've always had RV's with lots of storage (we also have a 30 ft. 5th wheel) so finding spots for stuff for our 2 month driving trip to Alaska this summer will be a challenge. Can't wait to get our pod out for the first shakedown trip. If I had my preference, I'd go with the 179 with the back kitchen and storage, but keep in mind if you have more storage you will load up more stuff...
Jan and Dean
2014 178
Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 7:54pm
I agree about a walk around bed. We are currently looking at small travel trailers, after downsizing. Our biggest concern with the R Pod lay out is the bed. Being seniors, we are up often during the night. An island bed in the 179 would be a good fit for us.                 
Traveler
Dennis & Sharon
Looking for Pod
Live Alabama & Florida
TV 2011 Honda Pilot 6 cyl
bonanddoug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:08pm
Can't see a walk around bed in a 179.  Current bed is 60 inches wide, width determined by the slideout and the bathroom.  Even if there were a way to rotate the bed the outer edges are occupied by the furnace, the water pump and heater and outside storage.
2015 179 HRE
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12