Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP-179 Profile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP-179 Profile
    Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:12am
I"m in the process of trying to decide which Rpod model to purchase.  I've been reading some of the past posts about the Rpods and the ones about its aerodynamic profile are quite intriguing.

I've noticed that the rear section of the new 179 seems to be flatter and less tapered then the previous models.  I was wondering if this was an attempt by FR to improve aerodynamic efficiency or merely accommodate the new location of the kitchen?

Does anyone have any thoughts?
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:24am
  My guess would be to accommodate the new kitchen. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 7:18am
I like the new layout inside and outside shape of the 179 more than the the tear drop look of the other floor plans but it comes down to personal preference. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 8:35am
I like the 179 and 178 but not enough to make me want to trade in our 177.  The only improvement we would like is a bed that we could make by walking around it.  All the rest works fine for us.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 8:41am
I also think the new shape is to accommodate the kitchen. an earlier model Pod had a kitchen across the front and there were headroom complaints. There is not much to be done for aerodynamics in a travel trailer. Even the Airstreams aren't really aerodynamic. Lots of experience, and even some sophisticated computer modeling, show the Pod isn't either. Just accept that MPG and Camper don't belong in the same sentence.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 11:11am
Charlie,

Thanks for the response.  Yea, I'm starting to realize that most campers aren't very aerodynamic.  It just seems there would be a really great market for well equipped campers that were also very streamlined, if someone decided to build and sell them.

For now, I guess it's fine that the Rpods just look cool.:-)

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 2:00pm
Pods are like towing nice egg shaped brick walls.  The new design of the 179 is just a new design to allow all that storage space that it has.  The kitchen is huge and you could literally take everything including a couple extra kitchen sinks with this new floorplan.

The floorplan was as it has been with each other model of new Pod a shot at giving customers what they wanted.  They know a lot of folks wanted better cooking areas and closets and storage and pantries and what not.  So the 179 was born.

I'd be surprised honestly if the new profile sticks around on the Pod models of the future, but who knows.
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 3:03pm
My guess is to allow headroom in the galley(kitchen), and to accommodate the door being at the rear. 
I'd like to see how much room you have to get around with the slide "in". If you need to access the head or the storage by the bed, do you have to crawl over the dinette seating or even open the head door?
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 3:10pm
[QUOTE=cody91] Charlie,

Thanks for the response.  Yea, I'm starting to realize that most campers aren't very aerodynamic.  It just seems there would be a really great market for well equipped campers that were also very streamlined, if someone decided to build and sell them.

For now, I guess it's fine that the Rpods just look cool.:-                                                                               If you look up Curtiss Aerocar Company 1929-1934 this was I believe the first company to build a aerodynamic travel trailer it was matched up to a aerodynamic TV. Its been done before but for some reason not a success. Perhaps the depression years made it too difficult.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Boomertype

My guess is to allow headroom in the galley(kitchen), and to accommodate the door being at the rear. 
I'd like to see how much room you have to get around with the slide "in". If you need to access the head or the storage by the bed, do you have to crawl over the dinette seating or even open the head door?

there's a small hallway of sorts with the slide in.  similar interior profile if you have a pod without a slide at all.  so everything is still useable with it in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>