Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFR information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FR information
    Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 5:56am
Aaahh- if it is on the coupler that has little to do with rated tongue weight of the trailer, just the coupler.  If it is actually stamped in the frame material- well mine doesn't have that.

For example I have a 7000lb rated car trailer with a Bulldog coupler on it rated for 14,000 lbs!  The rated max tongue weight for that should be something like 2000+ lbs but no way the trailer tongue would take that.
Interesting story on that car trailer, I had to buy it quick to make an unexpected out of town trip to retrieve a car, actually in Westminster MD as it were.
 After buying it I noticed the coupler was rated for 5000 lbs- on a 7000 lb capacity trailer.
Called the manufacturer who seemed unconcerned at first.   I explained a lawyer litigating a wreck where a coupler failure was an issue would own them, since they used an underrated coupler..

They called me back a day or so later and sent a welder from GA to SC to cut off all the trailer couplers at the dealer and replace them with heavier rated couplers, including mine of course.
I'm guessing this was after they ran it past their lawyerLOL
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12