R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGray Water, Black Water, Waste/Sewer. Which is?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gray Water, Black Water, Waste/Sewer. Which is?
    Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by kymooses

It is only the 181g but our garage sink goes to our black tank while the 182g goes to the grey as normal.

Just a thought, but is the black tank in the rear on the 181G vs in he front on the 182G ? If so, maybe it's just easier to get from the rear to the black tank on the 181.

From an interesting thread on the iRV2 forum: the question of dumping gray water in the desert was asked of and answered by the BLM. Their regs defined gray water as including sinks, showers and tubs, but specifically excluded kitchen sinks and dishwashers. Kitchen sinks and dishwashers were considered sewage or black. I don't know how the garage sinks on Pods would be classified. The BLM response indicated dumping gray water was OK UNLESS overridden by local rules, regs, or law enforcement personnel.

In my personal experience I sometimes capture dish washing water and dump down the toilet to preserve gray water capacity. Gray is easier to deal with than black if you use a "blue' tank.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 1:45pm
I was kind of thinking on similar (I think!) lines.  Is it cool/environmentally OK to dump grey water at your campsite, in your yard, down the road, wherever you please?  If not, why have two separate tanks?  I'm probably not thinking this through clearly, but am kind of curious.  If both are required to be disposed of at dump stations (which I do), again why have two tanks?  Hope this isn't a stupid question here?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 2:13pm
I wouldn't say it was "cool/environmentally OK" to dump gray anywhere, but it may be "acceptable" in some cases. However, for the majority of cases both should go to the dump and your question of having two tanks is well taken. The two tank config probably evolved in past times when thinking was more lenient. Maybe, in the future, single tanks may return, if only from pure cost considerations. In the meantime, it's still preferable to have two tanks if you  periodically empty the gray tank into a waste hauler. I guess in the best of worlds I would have the gray water sources selectable to either gray or black tanks, but that adds complexity and cost.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by kymooses

It is only the 181g but our garage sink goes to our black tank while the 182g goes to the grey as normal.

Just a thought, but is the black tank in the rear on the 181G vs in he front on the 182G ? If so, maybe it's just easier to get from the rear to the black tank on the 181.

It is that exact reason according to the engineers who designed it, black tank is closer so that's how it was piped.  
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 10:34pm
There are many places were grey water can't be disposed of on the ground.  At least some National Parks that I know of. 

I've wondered about the reason for two tanks too.  I suspect it may be generally easier to mount two 30 gallon tanks than one 60 for one thing.  The sloshing effect of 40 or 50 gallons in one big tank could be a safety factor too when you're going down the road.

It seems like it would make sense if you have to dispose of both tanks at one dump station if you could dump the black tank and then dump the grey water through the black tank to help rinse it out.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 9:20am
The reason some Pods have one valve and some have two separate ones is as simple as the design of the Rpod itself.

When and if Forest River is able to put the tanks side by side it's because the floorplan allows them to be together.

When they are separate it's just because the design would not allow them to be together.
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:26am
Our 178 makes dumping easy. The pull handles on the lines are black and grey. Brilliant color coding idea on the part of FR'
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by bodie55

Our 178 makes dumping easy. The pull handles on the lines are black and grey. Brilliant color coding idea on the part of FR'

I like the single dump point on the 178.  For me, there is nothing worse than having to switch the sewer hose from the black tank sewer connection to the grey.  My old 173 and the new 179 have the separate discharge connections.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 1:36am
Yes, DH would like to mod the lines to a single hookup. Moving the hose is yucky.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Thinkcooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by bodie55

Yes, DH would like to mod the lines to a single hookup. Moving the hose is yucky.

Same here - I'd love to do this mod. The idea of messing around with detaching the black hose, at its dirtiest sounds nastee.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>