R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGray Water, Black Water, Waste/Sewer. Which is?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gray Water, Black Water, Waste/Sewer. Which is?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 12:40pm
I'm confused. Goes with being a newbie podder I guess.

Our used 2012 177 HRE just arrived last night and I'm trying to figure out which of the two drain pipes is Black Water and which is Gray Water. The manual doesn't help, and the factory labels on the outside of the Pod don't add much clarity either. The labels say "Waste Water" and "Sewer Outlet"

Maybe these photos will help one of you more experienced podders edjamacate me of which is which. Is the Gray Water tank the Sewer Outlet connection or the Waste Water connection?

Thanks in advance!

This is the front tank's drain and label:

This is the rear tank/drain label:

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 3:08pm
I answerd over where you asked the question in the manuals thread.. but here you go..

On a 177, grey (waste water) is in the back, black (sewer water) is in the front. On most campers they are actually together, but when they aren't, or even when they are so you know which to pull first, the fittings are the same for the dump hose, but if you look behind the valve on the camper, one drain line is 2" one is 4".. the bigger one.. moves solids.. Wink

I buy a 100 pack of disposable gloves at home depot etc. Small bottle of hand sanitizer in bag with them in rear cargo hold, along with paper towels.
Dump black first, then grey to rinse the tube. Should be a non potable hose there, rinse the dump hose with that, drain, store. Throw away gloves, wipe down with some sanitizer, towel off.. roll on.

If you have never dumped before, don't panic, like many things EVERYBODY had to do it for the first time. Every now and then you might get jerk in line who doesn't remember this, but don't sweat it. Watch a few people, see what they did/do wrong, try not to do the same. Smile

I have full hookups at home.. maybe kymooses and I should do a video.. come spring thaw..

on that thought.. video
Thinkcooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by furpod

I answerd over where you asked the question in the manuals thread.. but here you go..

On a 177, grey (waste water) is in the back, black (sewer water) is in the front. On most campers they are actually together, but when they aren't, or even when they are so you know which to pull first, the fittings are the same for the dump hose, but if you look behind the valve on the camper, one drain line is 2" one is 4".. the bigger one.. moves solids.. Wink

I buy a 100 pack of disposable gloves at home depot etc. Small bottle of hand sanitizer in bag with them in rear cargo hold, along with paper towels.
Dump black first, then grey to rinse the tube. Should be a non potable hose there, rinse the dump hose with that, drain, store. Throw away gloves, wipe down with some sanitizer, towel off.. roll on.

If you have never dumped before, don't panic, like many things EVERYBODY had to do it for the first time. Every now and then you might get jerk in line who doesn't remember this, but don't sweat it. Watch a few people, see what they did/do wrong, try not to do the same. Smile

I have full hookups at home.. maybe kymooses and I should do a video.. come spring thaw..

on that thought.. video

Perfect advice and input - thank you!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 7:06pm
we have a lot of videos to shoot!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 7:57pm
I'd add one more step to furpod's list - keep a can of Lysol in the pod and thoroughly spray the bottom of your shoes before you get in your TV! 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:04am
 2" = Gray water. 4" = Black water.  furpod = 100% correct.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:06am
Originally posted by techntrek

I'd add one more step to furpod's list - keep a can of Lysol in the pod and thoroughly spray the bottom of your shoes before you get in your TV! 

Brilliant. Thumbs Up
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:18am
Originally posted by techntrek

That is rather brilliant, I always feel like I'm contaminating the Jeep.  I like this.
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 11:45am
I got a tip from a T@B owner who keeps a pair of old sneakers in a small rubbermaid box (with lid) for that purpose.  I discovered that our major hardware store sells "duck shoes", which are ankle length rubber boots with laces.

PHOTO: Duck Shoes (from their website)

David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 8:11am
If you get really confused, turn the water on in the sink and open both drains. The one that drains is your grey water.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>