Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoon to be new Rpod Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon to be new Rpod Owners
    Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:52am
This from my personal experience: I towed a 172 with a Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD rated at #4500. My last trip was 5000+ miles including  the Colorado mountains. The Pilot was adequate on the flat lands but struggled up the mountains. OK if you go slow; 10-20 MPH on some grades. Note the 4WD version of the Pilot includes the towing package with transmission oil cooler so it is rated #1000  higher than the 2WD model. My new Camplite trailer is about #1000 heavier than the Pod so I moved up to a 4.0L Tacoma. My preference was a small V8, but that was not available in a small pickup. Bottom line, a #3500 rated vehicle would be marginal even on flat terrain. Your 178 starts at #2500 plus some options. By the time you add people, battery(s), full propane tank(s) and "stuff" you'll easily exceed #3500.Since you have the luxury of selecting a new TV my suggestion would be at least a #5000 rated 4.0L vehicle.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:10am
Smile This is great information, thank you all so much for your quick replies.  Selecting a vehicle has been quite the chore. One other quick question...what is better FWD or AWD.   I should have also mentioned that I am from Ottawa Ontario Canada.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:29am
Well, since you've selected the trailer you're half way there and used to the back and forth decision process Smile. AWD is really full time 4WD under the control of the car's computer. It's fine for the majority  of road conditions. The Pilot was really AWD under normal conditions, but can be locked up with a switch. I may be a control freak and an engineer, but I like to have some options. If you're stuck in sand or snow (think Canada Wink) you want the option of firmly engaging all wheels and limiting all slip. For me, I've always had 4WD vehicles. I live in Florida but I call Colorado home. Lots of snow. Try buying a 4WD in Florida LOL.

Selectable 4WD is an advantage if you can buy it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:46am
We were driving a 2006 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.3 V/6 about 190 hp and We towed the 2010 174 and it did ok till you came to much of a hill and it would star shifting up and down. Also ok on the flats up to 50 mph then it struggled till we hit 60mph. Towing at about 10 miles per gallon.Soooo it forced me to upgrade to a 2011 ford F150 with a v/6 ecoboost it has 365 hp and no problem towing now and much better fuel economy . But mostly I was just looking for a reason to justify a new to us truck,at least that's what my wife thought.
                          Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 11:20am
I guess I'll throw in my two cents worth. Currently we tow with a 2005 Chev. Tahoe with a tow capacity of 6,800 lbs. Perfect except the age and mileage. I like the handling up hills and lots of stopping power. I recently received the Trailer Life guide to towing for 2014 listing all the vehicles and their towing capacity. After reading lots of posts, I've decided for us to look at vehicles with 4WD and a minimum towing capacity of 5K lbs. I find that at the 5K mark, all the vehicles provide AWD only. I like the Tahoe's 4WD selectivity but alas, it's is not available in the 5K range. So what to buy? After a lot of research, I have selected the Toyota Highlander with 5K towing capacity. Far better city mileage than our Tahoe but with adequate towing capacity for those big hills we seem to have here in Oregon. There are three versions of the Highlander depending on your wants and checkbook. Hope that helps. We are having a Roundup this September at Charleston, Oregon. Have reserved 40 full hookup spaces and after only a week have about 20 left. So far we have 12 Rpods registered. Marwayne, who I consider personally to be truly the master modder of Rpods, is joining us from Alberta. Being able to see his mod's is reason enough to come and join us. We are right on the beach and a great time should be had by all. Hopefully you can join us. All the details can be seen under the Camping Adventures forum. Safe Travels.    

Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 11:59am
Thank you for this,  I am somewhat still pulling my hair out.  I have a Lab Retriever so I need to get leather which means all my choices are very expensive.  Cant wait to make a decision and then move on to planning on where to go.  Your post has been very helpful.  I was just about to start looking up the Highlander.  So far I have priced out the Santa Fe 3.3  V6..Ford Explore Ltd 4WD

Ottawa Ontario Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123