Topic ClosedSoon to be new Rpod Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon to be new Rpod Owners
    Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 8:25am
Welcome and congrats. Don't forget to reassess that mattress. A backbreaker. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
The Pod Couple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 2:46pm
When we bought our 178 last October it came with a nice mattress. We had bought one through Camping World before we actually had the trailer. We ended up returning the mattress because we didn't need it. I would advise you to hold off getting a new mattress until you see what your trailer comes with. And welcome to Podding!
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 3:09pm
Our new 178 was delivered in late November.  We, too, can not find fault with the queen mattress and have no plans for replacing it.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:21pm
I advise people to try the mattress before buying a new one.  We still have and enjoy ours in our 2011 Pod.  Some try it and get a new one, others don't try it,  get a new one, and tell people how bad it is.  Some of us tried it and like it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:09am
Welcome! You've come to the right place for advice, encouragement and all around great fun
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
barring View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 11:24pm
Colorado is the most wonderful place to have a small trailer. There are so many boondocking opportunities here, you don't even really need campgrounds. 
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 10:43pm
Hi, I just purchased a RPod 178 this weekend.  Now looking to purchase a vehicle to tow it with.  I am so confused as to what I should be getting.  I don't really want to buy a large SUV or Truck. I was told by the dealer that I bought the trailer from that all that is required is a TV that can handle 3500 lbs.  Reading all the forums, I am getting nervous that I will have to buy a larger vehicle.  Any insight on this would be appreciated.  I am not picking my unit up until May so I do have some time to get a vehicle.
Thanks
HavaPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 11:29pm
To: Happy Camper

We have one of the smaller vehicles out there, but so far we've run into no difficulties in the five trips we took our first year. We haven't though done any substantially high mountain passes though. Although we will likely get a bigger rig before doing a cross country type trip, we have felt comfortable so far for shorter, not terribly mountainous trips. We have though done a few thousand feet in elevation gains on several trips so far an as I said, we've had no problems.
Steve and Peggy Thorndill
HavaPod
2013 R-Pod 177
Tacoma, WA

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 7:03am
Originally posted by HPY CMPR

Hi, I just purchased a RPod 178 this weekend.  Now looking to purchase a vehicle to tow it with.  I am so confused as to what I should be getting.  I don't really want to buy a large SUV or Truck. I was told by the dealer that I bought the trailer from that all that is required is a TV that can handle 3500 lbs.  Reading all the forums, I am getting nervous that I will have to buy a larger vehicle.  Any insight on this would be appreciated.  I am not picking my unit up until May so I do have some time to get a vehicle.
Thanks

If I were getting a TV for the Pod I would not get something with only 3500#, I'd go for something that can do 5000#.

Most anything will pull a Pod around, and "MOST" folks can still stay under a proper loaded vehicle weight, although I don't doubt for an instant that a lot of owners are overweight when towing.

Just mentioning because there have been a LOT of people over the years start off with a 3500# TV and eventually  move to something larger.  This is not to say you have to or that they couldn't tow their Pods they way they, only that for how they liked to tow and how it felt for them that they are now happier in something bigger.  Presented with the choice of TV ahead of you a personal opinion would be to tow with 5000#.  However that opinion varies widely amongst all members of these forums, and it does have a lot to do with where you tow, how far you tow, how often you tow, and quite honestly how much stuff you try to drag along with you.  Passengers and and all the stuff you bring with you will count against your limits and towing experience.

Congrats on the 178 though, it is a wonderfully popular model and has a lot of nice space to it!
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:26am
In our person experience, we wouldn't pull the pod without a V8. The power necessary to perform emergency evasive maneuvers in traffic with poor drivers is important for us. We also tow over high mountain passes. We previously had a V6 Ford Escape when we began Pod shopping. Our research led to purchasing a bigger TV before buying the pod. One CAN town with a lower weighted vehicle. Think about where you drive, the weight you will be carrying, and what type of driving environment you are likely to be in. Yes, you will use more gas but safety and power have their advantages.

We love our 178 and hope you will too!
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>