R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlide gear stripped

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide gear stripped
    Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 8:20pm
I've only had my 2014 r-pod 178 since October, 2013, and the slide stopped working while in the out position.  I only took it camping 3 times, and only moved the slide out a few times while it sat in our driveway to show curious neighbors.  I had to call Coach-Net to come and move the slide in manually (now I know how to do that, at least), so I could tow it to a dealer to check it out.  They said the motor works, but all the gears are stripped.  What the heck?!  I'm really disappointed.  Has anyone else heard of this happening?  Do you think I just got a bad motor at the factory assembly line??Angry
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 9:23pm
Yours is the first one I have heard about.  Our 177 slide has gone in and out a bunch of times and as far as I know still works.  I will let you know in Spring when the thaw comes.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
The Pod Couple View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 10:46pm
How DO you put it out manually? Like you, we got our 178 in October. We've had no problem with ours.
Larry &Pat
The Pod Couple
2001 Ford F150
2014 RPod 178
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 1:36am
It bothers me that there is no automatic shut off, at least on my 2010 176, for the slide.  I run mine out until it clicks 2 or 3 times and when I run it back in, I run it in until it clicks 2 or 3 times.  Those clicks are the sounds of the gears jumping, which has the potential to break or chip one gear or the other every time it clicks.  It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to put a kill switch on both ends of the track so that it would shut off at the proper point.

So, my guess would be that maybe you, or someone else, kept running the slide out long after it was out as far as it would go, or in way past the stopping point, just letting it click, click, click, click, until one or more of the gears' teeth broke off. 

It's kind of like Russian Roulette every time it clicks.  The gears a strong, but my guess is that they could break any time they jump like that.  The more they jump, the more likely they are to break though.

This just occurred to me: Theoretically, maybe the gears can be adjusted so that they would easily jump at the ends of their travel, and maybe, if they weren't adjusted correctly, it would be much harder for them to jump.  They might still jump, but the gears would be under way more pressure when they jumped, therefore more likely to break.  I have no idea if this is the way the gears work, but it might explain why no one else has heard of this problem.  Maybe your gears weren't adjusted correctly.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 6:50am
The guy who gave us the walk around when we bought ours said it was a clutch, not gears clicking at the end of the travel.  Not having taken it apart I only have his word on that, but he said it was designed to do that.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

The guy who gave us the walk around when we bought ours said it was a clutch, not gears clicking at the end of the travel.  Not having taken it apart I only have his word on that, but he said it was designed to do that.

I believe you are right about the sound being the clutch.  If it were a gear problem, the slide could not be retracted manually.  I am surprised the FR did not use limit switches rather than a clutch, if a clutch is actually used. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:16am
  I'd be really happy to know there is a clutch.  If there is one though, it makes the idea of stripping the gears harder to understand. Could be the dealer didn't communicate the problem correctly I suppose.  Maybe it was a toasted clutch and not really stripped gears.

Someone ought to get in there and take a good look.  I have barely glanced at what's there, and then just with an eye to understanding what I might be up against if I had to manually crank the slide in or out. 

Maybe the OP's had a bad clutch.  That might explain stripping the gears.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:21am
It isw a good sign that we are all so ignorant about this: a rare happening.  If it was common we would have come up here in the past.  It may have been a defective drive unit.  Since it isn't happening lots this seems more likely than a design fault.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 9:43am
Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I agree that if it were a big problem with these units, you all would know more about it!  I'm sorry, though, that it's my unit that has the issue.  I never ran it in or out until I heard more than a couple of clicks.  When the slide went out the last time, it went all the way out - but there was no click at the end.  Then when I tried to put it back in, you could hear the motor run, but there was no movement.  The way the guy from Coach-Net put it back in was, he removed the wood panel at the front bottom right of the slide unit.  To the far right and back in maybe 6 inches, there's a nut that you can turn manually.  The good news is, it's the same size as the nuts on the stabilizing jacks, so you could use your manual wrench that you use on the jacks - or I had purchased the socket for my jacks to use with a drill.  We were able to use my drill and socket to bring the slide back in - much, much faster than the tiny amount it was moving when he was first using a wrench!  It's a tight space, though, where the nut is.  He cut the back of his hand trying to use his wrench.

So the fact that we were able to turn the nut to retract the slide, are you saying that means the gears weren't stripped?  I also wonder if the dealer explained the problem properly.  They did say they had to get a whole new motor assembly from Forest River to replace it, and it would take 2-3 weeks to get the parts in.  I'm glad this happened while the pod was on my side apron at the house - instead of out on the road somewhere.  We plan to take it to the NASCAR race in Las Vegas in March, so at least we should have it back in time for that!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 12:03pm
Sounds to me like clutch not gears if the drilll worked to retract it.  Please let us know as much as you can about the fix.  I  know I am curious now to see how this all works.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>